Evoque Owners Club banner

New to the forum with a possible abs fault

11K views 24 replies 11 participants last post by  AlmoT 
#1 ·
Morning everyone
New here to the forum
I have a 63 plate range rover evoque pure 2.2 sd4
Recently over the weekend it has developed a fault which after bit of reading seems to point towards the rear wheel speed sensor but would appreciate any input from experience you may have with it.

Basically after a few miles of driving a load of lights come up on the dashboard
Park break fault
Stability control not available
Emergency break assist
HDC system not available
ABS fault
The power steering goes off and the speedo doesn't move

Then if I pull over after a minute or so the faults go away and everything back to normal

Now also over the weekend I did change the touch screen to a new bigger android one, I did it this friday and pulled the dash out a further 2 times Saturday and sunday to move round the microphone and gps antenna etc till I was happy, could perhaps when I've been tinkering I've disturbed some wiring? I dont think this would have interfered as friday and Saturday I must have driven round over 50 miles with the new screen, then sunday after the fault occurred I pulled it apart again to check all connections and it all seems okay. And the fact of when I pull over after a minute or two the fault then disappears again. I just thought I'd mention this though as you never know.

I have also tested the battery I dont think it's a battery issue its never sluggish starting up, battery gives out 12v when the engine is off and 14v when running.

So with the amount of people that have had the same issue its pointing towards the rear wheel speed sensor, will it possibly be the right side? As parking breake fault is listed

I've ordered myself a diagnostic tool, one of those iCarsoft LR V2.0 so should be able to find out the problem then but thought I'd join a forum and gain some knowledge and experience, sorry for rambling on I'm just trying to be descriptive.

Thanks
Joe :)

See less See more
#2 ·
Think i would wait until your diagnostic tester arrives then take it with you and wait for the fault to occur or try and work it out from the historic codes. With all those faults could be anything. To test a ABS sensor you need to find a connector to pull apart and fit a multimeter on ac voltage and spin the wheel (not easy) and see if you get any voltage.

#3 ·
Thanks trevor, yea that's what I'm doing now waiting on the diagnostic tool before I mess about with anything else. With testing the sensor do you know if I'm looking for a specific voltage? Do they work like a small proximity sensor, opening and closing the circuit as the wheel spins?

#4 ·
Hi Joe
Exact same symptoms as mine and it was the rear offside wheel sensor. Apparently it did make a slight noise when the mechanic reversed it out from where I left it at the garage but I never heard it. Mine wasnt intermittent either. Symptoms remained until fixed. Sorry I can’t be of any further assistance but I haven’t had any problems with it since! Famous last words as I’m off to Bell Engineering to get a Haldex service this morning 🤞

#5 ·
I believe they work via the Hall effect, with a sensor detecting a minute change in electric potential difference (voltage) as a magnet passes. I do not think you can easily test for a voltage.

#6 ·
Hi Joe,
Each and sensor should generate a different fault code so you will know immediately on connecting a diagnostic tool which one it is.
Having had both abs sensor faults and communications faults on other cars this does not sound like just an abs sensor. They normally bring on the fault and it just stays there. Yours seems to be going into limp mode in stages.
Modern cars run on a car area network or Canbus system. Often two systems a high speed one for safety critical stuff and low speed for other stuff like air con and interior lights.
Basically a ring of wires around the car that the many computers use to talk to each other. They allow a few bad signals to be ignored but if they get repeated bad signals bring up warnings and if these are ignored get very cross with you and start shutting things down.
When you re-start it starts counting the bad signals again.
I am not a great believer in co-incidence so suspect it is related to the screen change work.
It will probably either be something disturbed, the new unit sending out dodgy signals., or the battery voltage.
I would start simple and double check the battery voltage, if that is not right it will cause all sorts of issues similar to the ones described.
This week I changed battery on my daughters Nissan Juke. It was showing 12.2 volt in the morning before starting instead of 12.6/12.8 v. The whole nav system was playing up, buttons not working, some like pressing the fm button causing the brightness to change and lots of weird stuff. All cured with a new battery.
Similar issues with my old Volvo but that was abs/anti skid problems again with the battery at 12.1/ 12.2 bolts in morning.
Good luck and let us know how the code reader works as I am looking for a good one.

#7 ·
Hi Joe,
Did you get this issue get solved? I'm having very similar issues on a 2012 Si4 and keen to find the best way to solve it. We replaced the sensor once and was good for 1k miles but it's now playing up again. Is there something more fundamental I should be looking to replace?

#12 ·
Hi Joe,
Did you get this issue get solved? I'm having very similar issues on a 2012 Si4 and keen to find the best way to solve it. We replaced the sensor once and was good for 1k miles but it's now playing up again. Is there something more fundamental I should be looking to replace?
Did you guess which sensor needed replacing? With the tool it told me which one was faulty. I was convinced for a bit it was something to do with me swapping put the stereo for an android head unit as the fault only appeared 2 days after I changed it and the fault was intermittent but a few thousand miles later down the line it seems okay since the sensor was swapped. The next thing I was going to try if it came back was the tone/sensor ring that the sensor reads i was going to take it put strip it down and clean it all. When I changed mine I noticed dirt and rust in there, when I changed the sensor I put a hoover over the hole just to try suck out any debris inside, I'm not sure if this actually helped at all but if it was the tone ring it might have been because it was dirty but I'm not sure, I hope this helps you out anyway pal, let me know how you get on.

#8 ·
...it could be wheel speed sensor fault, abs block failure, abs controller failure or faulty wiring.

With these symptoms...

Park break fault
Stability control not available
Emergency break assist
HDC system not available
ABS fault
The power steering goes off and the speedo doesn't move.

...I‘d put my money on the issue being the abs hydraulic block (as this will impact power steering/speedo), or the black plastic box controller attached to the abs hydraulic block from past experience on my Jag.

#9 ·
Sorry I should have replied back in this ages ago. Yea I sorted the fault the diagnostic tool i got said it was the rear left wheel speed sensor. Got the part from ebay for about 15-20 quid and swapped it out myself it was easy. The issue has not come back since my power steering and speedo also. If I was you I would try get one of those diagnostic tools they are well worth it.

#18 ·
she's back up and running back to normal. These things are so dramatic for such a small issue!
thats why you keep referring to the car as a “she” then I suppose

Reactions: Bigsmokefarmer
#20 ·
I had these exact same symptoms, so took my Evoque 52 reg to West Motor Company, Kingston for repair.

They did the following

Diagnostic Check (£150)
Wiring Check (£350)
Identified an issue with the rear wheel speed sensor
Replaced rear left wheel speed sensor
Recalibrate ABS
POST Wiring Check (£350)
Total price £917.32

Do you think this was all necessary. They told me a diagnostic test would not have identified the issue to the sensor.

My advice - If you have this fault is get a good local mechanic to replace both sensors before going to a land rover repair center.

#21 ·
I had these exact same symptoms, so took my Evoque 52 reg to West Motor Company, Kingston for repair.

They did the following

Diagnostic Check (£150)
Wiring Check (£350)
Identified an issue with the rear wheel speed sensor
Replaced rear left wheel speed sensor
Recalibrate ABS
POST Wiring Check (£350)
Total price £917.32

Do you think this was all necessary. They told me a diagnostic test would not have identified the issue to the sensor.

My advice - If you have this fault is get a good local mechanic to replace both sensors before going to a land rover repair center.
Hi my mechanic just charged me 150 without the rest. That was including the fitting and a friend said that they could of done it and ordered the part.

#24 ·
I am sorry but I think you have been ripped off.
Any reasonable diagnostic machine will tell which wheel sensor it is, even a £20 one from eBay. then it is a simple swap out.
£700 wiring checks, what the heck did they do for that??
What actually is recalibrate ABS? They just clear the code and drive it 100 yards
These folk make me so annoyed.
I would report them to trading standards and on every forum you can find 🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬🤬
Mine last month was £140 and that includes £90 for the sensor as mine has self parking and they are £30 more than standard.
Sorry not what you want to hear but at least we all know to avoid them.

#25 ·
Thanks. It does feel that way.........

I have asked the Garage for a copy of the Diagnostic Test Results and they have refused. This is a service I have paid for.... Im pretty sure im entitled to the results.
Asking again tomorrow for a copy when I collect the car. If they will not provide it, then IMO it shows they are hiding something......

Considering going to small claims court if I dont get the diagnostic results.

So upsetting...

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.