Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 30 Posts

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi New member from Leek in Staffs

Just waiting for the 1st of Sept to pick up my new Evoque, not had one before, certainly not a plug in. As any one experienced towing a caravan with one, if so what setting do you use, my van is below 1500 kg so weight is not an issue so just looking for some tips.

Also it's not clear but does it come with the Configurable Dynamics, there's a bit of conflict between the online configurator and the brochure - which one is right.

Apologies for all the direct questions, but if you don't ask you will never know.

I do have another Land Rover but that's very very basic compare to this as it's a 1966 Series 2A SWB petrol.

Thanks again for letting me join.

RobS

·
Registered
2021 P300e R-Dynamic HSE, Eiger grey, black pack, black alloys, sliding pano roof, red calipers, etc
250 Posts
When I bought my P300e I was advised not to use it for towing. If you need an Evoque to be a tow vehicle a much better model choice would have been D200 diesel or P250/300 petrol.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
When I bought my P300e I was advised not to use it for towing. If you need an Evoque to be a tow vehicle a much better model choice would have been D200 diesel or P250/300 petrol.
Hi 4andy

Who told you it can't be used for towing, any particular reason, it's plated so it's legal plus I've seen loads of articles in Caravan and Motorhome club relating to towing with a plug in hybrid as being the future.

On your terrain response selector have you 3 modes you can select for road, comfort, eco, dynamic, ??

Thanks
RobS

·
Registered
2021 P300e R-Dynamic HSE, Eiger grey, black pack, black alloys, sliding pano roof, red calipers, etc
250 Posts
Hi Rob,

I wasn't told it can't be used for towing...I was advised against it by the sales manager at my Land Rover dealership.
It's not the choice of driving modes that is the problem. The P300e is the heaviest Evoque available because of the massive weight of the batteries. After the battery has been depleted ( usually around 35 miles) the 1.5 3 cylinder petrol engine is all you have to move a big, heavy car. For normal driving this is fine....but if towing a caravan ir will struggle and the fuel economy will be awful.

·
Registered
2020, D180, standard
93 Posts
Hi Rob,

I wasn't told it can't be used for towing...I was advised against it by the sales manager at my Land Rover dealership.
It's not the choice of driving modes that is the problem. The P300e is the heaviest Evoque available because of the massive weight of the batteries. After the battery has been depleted ( usually around 35 miles) the 1.5 3 cylinder petrol engine is all you have to move a big, heavy car. For normal driving this is fine....but if towing a caravan ir will struggle and the fuel economy will be awful.
I suppose they told you not to tow not because of the 1.5 engine but because of the electric and that when the battery runs out it would be too heavy, only the vehicle already weighs 2200kg at that the dead weight of all the electrical part plus the trailer, I would say which is a lot of effort for the 1.5

·
Registered
250 Posts
I suppose they told you not to tow not because of the 1.5 engine but because of the electric and that when the battery runs out it would be too heavy, only the vehicle already weighs 2200kg at that the dead weight of all the electrical part plus the trailer, I would say which is a lot of effort for the 1.5
Exactly...for towing it is much better to have a larger engine. Some hybrid cars are ok for towing because they have much bigger engines...the BMW X5 45e hybrid for example.

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Hmmm Could be interesting then, I did tow with a Countryman Cooper S ALL4 (always made people do a double take), which had a 2 ltr petrol turbo, with 178 BHP and 208 Ft lbs of torque, which weighted 1679 Kg compared to the land rover which has 198 BHP and 221 Ft lbs without the electric motor. I will say the Countryman went like a rocket with the van on the back so if the Land Rover is half as good I will be pleased. As for fuel economy how does 18 mpg sound - that's what I get with my Land Rover Series 2A petrol.

I always look at the Toyota Yaris GR and think how good that engine is, so 3 cylinders may feel funny but I'm afraid it's the future.

I think it's a case of being the first to try one, one benefit is I can charge the car up on the campsites for free.

I'll report back once I start towing with it.

RobS

·
Registered
2013 SD4 Prestige - Gold
39 Posts
welcome along Rob, only up the road from you in Stoke, at this rate we can have a stoke owners club section soon! have you ordered from LR down at Trentham Lakes?

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
welcome along Rob, only up the road from you in Stoke, at this rate we can have a stoke owners club section soon! have you ordered from LR down at Trentham Lakes?
Hi - Thanks for the welcome
Yes from Trentham, nice people to deal with and love old Land Rovers, they've asked if I will take mine down for a look but only if it's dry:) Local meets there's an idea, it was a big thing in the Mini group I was in, use to meet in Macclesfield and drive out into the Peak district but I was the oldest one there so gave it upo_O:ROFLMAO:

Rob

·
Registered
2013 SD4 Prestige - Gold
39 Posts
Hi - Thanks for the welcome
Yes from Trentham, nice people to deal with and love old Land Rovers, they've asked if I will take mine down for a look but only if it's dry:) Local meets there's an idea, it was a big thing in the Mini group I was in, use to meet in Macclesfield and drive out into the Peak district but I was the oldest one there so gave it upo_O:ROFLMAO:

Rob
There is the days they do at silverdale off road centre I’m sure we could have a tame few hours and avoid the deep stuff

the new garage on Stanley Matthew’s way is stunning but it’s sad as I work in Hanley and park near the old garage and I hate seeing it get overgrown and neglected!

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
There is the days they do at silverdale off road centre I’m sure we could have a tame few hours and avoid the deep stuff

the new garage on Stanley Matthew’s way is stunning but it’s sad as I work in Hanley and park near the old garage and I hate seeing it get overgrown and neglected!
There's a meet on this Saturday, called the Leafer's at the pit (at the museum site), should be well attended with leaf sprung Land Rovers, I would have gone but not allowed due to Covid, this was me back in 2019 when it took place last my Land Rover had an article written about it in the Classic Land Rover mag - this was staged at the venue.

·
Registered
2013 SD4 Prestige - Gold
39 Posts
There's a meet on this Saturday, called the Leafer's at the pit (at the museum site), should be well attended with leaf sprung Land Rovers, I would have gone but not allowed due to Covid, this was me back in 2019 when it took place last my Land Rover had an article written about it in the Classic Land Rover mag - this was staged at the venue.
View attachment 9868
I think we are going as they doing a whole weekend of stuff, my dad was on about going on the Monday depending on the weather with his 47 mg tc

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
I think we are going as they doing a whole weekend of stuff, my dad was on about going on the Monday depending on the weather with his 47 mg tc
The Land Rovers will only be there on Saturday, it was over the full weekend previously but Covid cut it short.

·
Registered
P300e R-Dynamic HSE MY20.5 Firenze red Sliding sun roof
13 Posts
Hi New member from Leek in Staffs

Just waiting for the 1st of Sept to pick up my new Evoque, not had one before, certainly not a plug in. As any one experienced towing a caravan with one, if so what setting do you use, my van is below 1500 kg so weight is not an issue so just looking for some tips.

Also it's not clear but does it come with the Configurable Dynamics, there's a bit of conflict between the online configurator and the brochure - which one is right.

Apologies for all the direct questions, but if you don't ask you will never know.

I do have another Land Rover but that's very very basic compare to this as it's a 1966 Series 2A SWB petrol.

Thanks again for letting me join.

RobS
Hi Rob. I got my P300e last month (it replaced a 2006 Freelander ) and have been using it to tow our 1200kg caravan with no problems at all. The “hold” function combined with the automatic gear box makes hill starts a doddle. So far I’ve been experimenting with towing in both EV mode and Save (petrol engine only) mode as well as hybrid mode and I haven’t found any situation that the electric motor on its own or the petrol engine on its own couldn’t cope with. I tend to tow in Save mode so there is battery power available when I reach the campsite just in case it’s a muddy field and I need 4 wheel drive. In petrol only mode I’m getting around 40mpg when solo and 25-30mpg when towing.
I’ve not tried to recharge the battery on journeys towing but some caravan sites allow you to use a 13amp socket in your caravan to charge the car overnight - I limit the charge current to 6 or 8amps to prevent the plug or socket overheating.
I’ve still got lots to learn about the capabilities of this car, but it’s a delight to drive- both solo and towing.
Cheers, David

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Hi David

Thanks for the great reply, makes me a little more relaxed and that I made the right decision.

A couple of points / conclusions I've come to since wading through this forum;

1. Save mode would be the logical mode to use for towing, providing you accept the fuel economy which at the level you are talking about is acceptable, I used to get 30 to 31 mpg in my Countryman (that was less powerful but the same 8 speed auto box & ALL4). The issue I've seen is if you go into save mode with a depleted battery, as the Evoque is fitted with BiGS starter / generator it looks like if the vehicle sees this situation say on a motorway it will try and replenish the battery using the engine / generator (which makes sense when you think about it) running at a constant speed, which will impact on your fuel economy. It makes sense to start the trip with a fully charge battery therefore removing this situation, but in certain situations the electric motor will be used, even in save mode, this can be recovered easily though through the brake / coasting regen not having an impact on your fuel economy.

2. I've got the 13 pin plug lead which I'm converting to a caravan 3 pin site plug, therefore plugging straight into the pitch power stand (or at least a vacant one if a double is not supplied) this will allow charging overnight without needing to plug into the caravan. But as you say making sure the site is happy about this first. If not available then I have the 13 pin plug to 3 pin caravan plug converter cable which means I can still use a 13 pin plug.

3. I'm not really interested in the EV mode as if I wanted an all electric car I would have brought one, I will use Hybrid only in normal / sport driving conditions and let the car decide what it wants to do, if the engine needs to warm up first due to the cold so be it, pointless forcing something that the car does not want.

You may ask why I brought the car, pretty simple as I needed something to replace the returned Countryman (BMW screw-up on the towing electrics) I went into the Land Rover showroom originally to see what the deliveries would be on a Defender (next year if you are lucky I as was told) but they had a cancelled Evoque order coming in fitted with a tow bar which had just been released for sale, after discussion and an agreed price I brought, the towing hitch and the £5 k off the price for the spec it came with sealed the deal.

So these are just my thoughts / conclusions, I could be right or completely wrong - time will tell.

RobS.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi David

Thanks for the great reply, makes me a little more relaxed and that I made the right decision.

A couple of points / conclusions I've come to since wading through this forum;

1. Save mode would be the logical mode to use for towing, providing you accept the fuel economy which at the level you are talking about is acceptable, I used to get 30 to 31 mpg in my Countryman (that was less powerful but the same 8 speed auto box & ALL4). The issue I've seen is if you go into save mode with a depleted battery, as the Evoque is fitted with BiGS starter / generator it looks like if the vehicle sees this situation say on a motorway it will try and replenish the battery using the engine / generator (which makes sense when you think about it) running at a constant speed, which will impact on your fuel economy. It makes sense to start the trip with a fully charge battery therefore removing this situation, but in certain situations the electric motor will be used, even in save mode, this can be recovered easily though through the brake / coasting regen not having an impact on your fuel economy.

2. I've got the 13 pin plug lead which I'm converting to a caravan 3 pin site plug, therefore plugging straight into the pitch power stand (or at least a vacant one if a double is not supplied) this will allow charging overnight without needing to plug into the caravan. But as you say making sure the site is happy about this first. If not available then I have the 13 pin plug to 3 pin caravan plug converter cable which means I can still use a 13 pin plug.

3. I'm not really interested in the EV mode as if I wanted an all electric car I would have brought one, I will use Hybrid only in normal / sport driving conditions and let the car decide what it wants to do, if the engine needs to warm up first due to the cold so be it, pointless forcing something that the car does not want.

You may ask why I brought the car, pretty simple as I needed something to replace the returned Countryman (BMW screw-up on the towing electrics) I went into the Land Rover showroom originally to see what the deliveries would be on a Defender (next year if you are lucky I as was told) but they had a cancelled Evoque order coming in fitted with a tow bar which had just been released for sale, after discussion and an agreed price I brought, the towing hitch and the £5 k off the price for the spec it came with sealed the deal.

So these are just my thoughts / conclusions, I could be right or completely wrong - time will tell.

RobS.
Hi Rob.
I’ve sorted out a semi-permanent home (granny) charging system that I plug in whenever I return home so the car is fully charged every morning. I have a long drive so getting a 7kW charging station installed would be expensive and I can’t foresee any need to recharge at home in 2 hours. Indeed I limit the charging current to 8 amps so reduce the risk of the plug/socket overheating.

If you can find a way of getting the car to recharge the battery while running on petrol please let me (and this forum) know. LR say it’s not possible but some owners have reported it happening!

When winter arrives I currently planning on telling the car to be warmed up ready for departure at 9am every morning so that it does this using mains electricity rather than battery.

If you use the satnav for your journey in hybrid mode it will aim to get you to your destination with a fully depleted battery. If I’m going to Sheffield and back and don’t intend to recharge in Sheffield I set the final destination in the centre of the village and Sheffield as a waypoint. This seems to work well. For trips of less than 30 miles I put it in EV mode to be sure to minimise petrol consumption (but I’m a control freak!). There’s an Eco mode but it doesn’t seem to have any significant effect on energy (battery or petrol) consumption.

Do you know the model year of your Evoque? Mine’s a 2020.5. When we connect the caravan electrics prompts me to configure a trailer but won’t let me complete this, which is annoying but I’ve been told that configuring a trailer is of no value unless you have advanced tow assist (which I haven’t). Actually finding out the exact specification proved difficult - like you I was intending to specify precisely what I wanted but the delivery times quoted meant I took what was available that was close enough.

Good luck. You’re getting a great car. Cheers, David

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi Rob.
I’ve sorted out a semi-permanent home (granny) charging system that I plug in whenever I return home so the car is fully charged every morning. I have a long drive so getting a 7kW charging station installed would be expensive and I can’t foresee any need to recharge at home in 2 hours. Indeed I limit the charging current to 8 amps so reduce the risk of the plug/socket overheating.

If you can find a way of getting the car to recharge the battery while running on petrol please let me (and this forum) know. LR say it’s not possible but some owners have reported it happening!

When winter arrives I currently planning on telling the car to be warmed up ready for departure at 9am every morning so that it does this using mains electricity rather than battery.

If you use the satnav for your journey in hybrid mode it will aim to get you to your destination with a fully depleted battery. If I’m going to Sheffield and back and don’t intend to recharge in Sheffield I set the final destination in the centre of the village and Sheffield as a waypoint. This seems to work well. For trips of less than 30 miles I put it in EV mode to be sure to minimise petrol consumption (but I’m a control freak!). There’s an Eco mode but it doesn’t seem to have any significant effect on energy (battery or petrol) consumption.

Do you know the model year of your Evoque? Mine’s a 2020.5. When we connect the caravan electrics prompts me to configure a trailer but won’t let me complete this, which is annoying but I’ve been told that configuring a trailer is of no value unless you have advanced tow assist (which I haven’t). Actually finding out the exact specification proved difficult - like you I was intending to specify precisely what I wanted but the delivery times quoted meant I took what was available that was close enough.

Good luck. You’re getting a great car. Cheers, David
Hi David.

I had a charging point installed last week, cost £495 which I didn't think was too bad for a 7KW station (I had the grant applied as part of the deal), it's right next to the main fuse board in the garage so it was classed as less than 10m - I did look at EDF GoElectric 35 for low cost charging over night, but the tariff they offered was bad compared to the new one I'd just negotiated as it was for both gas and electricity, so I'm sticking with what I've got due to the shorter charging time.

I think the car charging is a bit of a strange one but with it having the same configuration as the MHEV it makes me think it's possible for charging to happen as the way described by some of the other members - time will tell on that one.

The cabin conditioning is a must in winter, it will stop the drain on the battery, I'm not sure what you can turn on but it will make a big difference.

The satnav setup sounds pretty slick, I'll be using in a couple of weeks as I have a trip down to London so we will see how it fairs.

The car was built on the 28th June 2021 so it's a 21MY according to the paperwork, it's got a lot included some priced some not, when I do a 2022 build on line it comes out to over £58K for the same spec. I'm not sure what was originally included as standard but now they are an option cost.

What age is your caravan, as it got ATC, does everything function (fridge, battery charging & reversing lights). That was the biggest problem I had with the Countryman it only came wired for a trailer and not a caravan, even as a factory fit item typical across the BMW range. I'm not sure if the car as advance tow assist, I can't see it on the spec sheet, but I do have 2 cup holders :ROFLMAO:

I pick it up next week so I'll be able to take it down to my van to see what actually works, but not going to tow with it yet as I would like the brakes etc to have a few miles on them first.

Which van do you have, I have an Elddis Infinity 574 weights in at a max weight of 1467Kg, it's also 7.2 m long which makes for an interesting drive when passing a lorry on the motorwayo_O

Thanks
Rob.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Hi David.

I had a charging point installed last week, cost £495 which I didn't think was too bad for a 7KW station (I had the grant applied as part of the deal), it's right next to the main fuse board in the garage so it was classed as less than 10m - I did look at EDF GoElectric 35 for low cost charging over night, but the tariff they offered was bad compared to the new one I'd just negotiated as it was for both gas and electricity, so I'm sticking with what I've got due to the shorter charging time.

I think the car charging is a bit of a strange one but with it having the same configuration as the MHEV it makes me think it's possible for charging to happen as the way described by some of the other members - time will tell on that one.

The cabin conditioning is a must in winter, it will stop the drain on the battery, I'm not sure what you can turn on but it will make a big difference.

The satnav setup sounds pretty slick, I'll be using in a couple of weeks as I have a trip down to London so we will see how it fairs.

The car was built on the 28th June 2021 so it's a 21MY according to the paperwork, it's got a lot included some priced some not, when I do a 2022 build on line it comes out to over £58K for the same spec. I'm not sure what was originally included as standard but now they are an option cost.

What age is your caravan, as it got ATC, does everything function (fridge, battery charging & reversing lights). That was the biggest problem I had with the Countryman it only came wired for a trailer and not a caravan, even as a factory fit item typical across the BMW range. I'm not sure if the car as advance tow assist, I can't see it on the spec sheet, but I do have 2 cup holders :ROFLMAO:

I pick it up next week so I'll be able to take it down to my van to see what actually works, but not going to tow with it yet as I would like the brakes etc to have a few miles on them first.

Which van do you have, I have an Elddis Infinity 574 weights in at a max weight of 1467Kg, it's also 7.2 m long which makes for an interesting drive when passing a lorry on the motorwayo_O

Thanks
Rob.
Hi Rob
We have a 2005 Eriba Troll with 13 pin connector to the car. All the lights work when towing plus charging the leisure battery and running the fridge. Our Troll is 5.6m long, max weight 1200kg, and it has a pop-up roof so the wind resistance will be lower than your Elddis - you might find you get fewer mpg when towing than we do. I usually tow at ~55mph - the adaptive cruise control is brilliant.
If you push them your salesman you can get a printout of the full spec, but it’s a bit confusing as it lists some items as included and the excludes them later on!
Cheers, David

·
Registered
22 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Hi Rob
We have a 2005 Eriba Troll with 13 pin connector to the car. All the lights work when towing plus charging the leisure battery and running the fridge. Our Troll is 5.6m long, max weight 1200kg, and it has a pop-up roof so the wind resistance will be lower than your Elddis - you might find you get fewer mpg when towing than we do. I usually tow at ~55mph - the adaptive cruise control is brilliant.
If you push them your salesman you can get a printout of the full spec, but it’s a bit confusing as it lists some items as included and the excludes them later on!
Cheers, David
Hi David.

Yes it's more of a brick wall than the Eriba for sure, we'll see how it gets on but the Evoque, which is taller and wider than the Mini so the aero should be better than that.

Yes I have adaptive cruise on the Suzuki which I really like, I didn't on the Mini so it will be an advantage for sure.

I do have the full printout, as you say if it says LESS then it's removed but can be added later within the spec, certainly the packs can be removed but the subcomponents added separately - a bit strange but hopefully come out correct in the end.

Thanks Rob.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,828 Posts
Reactions: Mable
1 - 20 of 30 Posts