Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
Range Rover Evoque 2017 HSE Dynamic Lux
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi everyone,
I've just bought a 2017 Evoque HSE Dynamic Lux.
I have my test in a few weeks, and am struggling to find any reasonable insurance quotes. (4k+)
Does anyone have any experience getting new drivers insured? I'm 25, but obviously a brand new driver. I'll be doing a pass plus qualification as well.
Also if anyone has any experience with getting learner insurance on an Evoque, any advice would be much appreciated. I'm itching to have a drive this weekend.
Thanks in advance!

·
Super Moderator
3,043 Posts
Hi Elliott

First a note to read the Newbies section, (Dual posting should be avoided)

Honestly as a new driver you will have 0% no claims and 0 driving experience, therefore quotes will be extortionate.

The only thing you can do is ring around every insurance company you can find, some will be more willing to take on new drivers than others.

Dont just use online quotes, phone them, they may offer discounts, also try adding a parent or partner or both if you can, that can often bring down quotes.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Hi Phil,
I realised my error, but couldn't work out how to delete this thread!
I've been ringing around have found a few sub 4k. Looking into adding a parent to the policy to see if that will help.
Thanks for your advice!
Feel free to delete this thread if you can! Other one is in the correct category.

·
Super Moderator
3,043 Posts
No problem, I've removed the duplicate thread and moved this one.

Best of luck with the insurance minefield...

·
Registered
MY20.5 R-Dynamic HSE
3,504 Posts
Also ask the insurer about a telematics box that is if they haven't already insisted on one, enquire about not driving between 9pm and 6am or whatever, maybe advanced driver training, either way its still going to be expensive, what even happened to buying a Fiat Panda as a first car?

·
Registered
2013 SD4 Prestige - Gold
42 Posts
As an insurance broker it’s not going be cheap mate, it’s perhaps not the wisest first car, it might be worth having 12 months with an old banger to at least get a years ncb in then that will help with costs, the market is a right state at the moment which isn’t helping either!
Maybe add a parent to the cover to lower the premium a little?

·
Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
765 Posts
Hi @elliotthale
There is no substitute for leg work here and be aware that prices change daily according to each insurers portfolio. When you get a price you like take it there and then.
We found that adding a low risk parent helps, adding my wife lowered the premium more than adding me, despite both having no claims or convictions and I also have an advanced driving certificate. (They say they dont discriminate on gender……yeah).
Adding both of raised it.
Telematics reduced the quote in the first couple of years when 17 and 18 year old, then it was more expensive with telematics.
We found a decent quote from Tesco who use insure the box telematics.so we phoned insure the box directly and after I told them the price I wanted they agreed it.
We have also found that trying confused.com last gave the cheapest quotes for the Admiral group of insurance as I think it is owned by them.
I think all the admiral policies were basically the same but different extras, Shiela’s wheels gave handbag cover, Elephant gave sports equipment cover.
Also try NFU as you are 25, they can be competitive sometimes extortionate, depends on many things. Good thing with them you speak to a human who speaks to their underwriters.
Adrian flux do schemes for owners club members, maybe try them as well.
Good luck and please update how you got in.
(PS price tumbles after first year so don’t be disheartened, We know friends who paid £3k for a Corsa)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Thanks for all your advice here guys, much appreciated.
Totally agree not the most sensible first car, but it is a lovely car! I've wanted one for years, so decided to take the plunge.
Wanting to avoid a black box really, I travel to a lot of events so will be doing night drives somewhat regularly.
Will look into getting the parents on the policy.
3k for Corsa makes 4k on a Range seem reasonable!

·
Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
765 Posts
Hi @elliotthale thwre are about 16 types of black box, all different so chose carefully. Some have time restrictions on, many don’t. Some give you a reward for good driving, points, vouchers, discount of next year, some vary the monthly premium according to your driving with helpful phrases like, 20%saw a reduction, or put another way 80% stayed the same or went up.
They are not all the same so do your research and choose wisely, My daughter and Boyfriend both had boxes with from different suppliers with no night time restrictions and no premium increases, some friends faced big premium hikes.
(As a tip use Motorways whenever possible, safest roads and so lower your risk score)

1 - 9 of 9 Posts