Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Having had an Evoque for the last five years, we recently ordered the R-Dynamic SE P300e AWD Auto PHEV which means it has limited electric mileage. In the build schedule, somebody must have cancelled because our order took its place and we have our new car within eight weeks!
Fantastic, love the Evoque. However, my main beef is I spent £300 to buy a home charging cable to cover all eventualities. The cable is not long enough from our garage socket to the drive and I was going to use an extension cable. Verboten it seems. Do I have to have the electrician in to fit a new socket…. From the fuse box? I just wondered because if he just extends the existing socket, I’m wasting money. Why can’t I just use an extension cable?
Thoughts greatly appreciated.
Alan

·
Registered
P300E on order autobiography
5,663 Posts
hi and welcome ... whilst I cannot answer you query just wanted to say wow you were lucky and not long to go now... I'm sure someone with better knowledge will be along to answer soon :)

·
Super Moderator
3,043 Posts
Hi... ?

There are extension cables about, but obviously you are adding risk of poor connection, water penetration, and power loss in the cables, so you need to be sure the power rating is as good if not higher than needed.

The danger is any poor connection runs the risk of getting hot, and that runs a risk of fire, and the more connections in the system the more risk of a poor connection.

·
Registered
23 Posts
The 3 pin power socket is not going to give you a good charging experience anyway. Invest in a professional fit external wall charger and it will cut charging time down four fold. The extension option is fraught with risk as the cable could get hot (would need to be fully unwound) and as said above introduces extra joints (points of failure)!

·
Registered
210 Posts
Having had an Evoque for the last five years, we recently ordered the R-Dynamic SE P300e AWD Auto PHEV which means it has limited electric mileage. In the build schedule, somebody must have cancelled because our order took its place and we have our new car within eight weeks!
Fantastic, love the Evoque. However, my main beef is I spent £300 to buy a home charging cable to cover all eventualities. The cable is not long enough from our garage socket to the drive and I was going to use an extension cable. Verboten it seems. Do I have to have the electrician in to fit a new socket…. From the fuse box? I just wondered because if he just extends the existing socket, I’m wasting money. Why can’t I just use an extension cable?
Alan
I had a Pod Point charger installed in my garage, but for free charging whilst at my daughters, I purchased a 10m home charging cable from Screwfix for £160. Maybe someone on here might be interested in purchasing your cable.

·
Registered
548 Posts
Alan
Why don't you just park a bit nearer your garage ? 🤔

·
Registered
49 Posts
Out of interest,, how much will a recharge cost?

·
Registered
P300e HSE R-Dynamic Eiger Grey MY21 Pivi Pro Pan Roof Tow Bar
140 Posts
Alan
I have both systems, a charging point at home (untethered) which I use the cable supplied free with the car, then I brought a 13 pin 10m cable charger which I use when on camp sites to charge the car, it's connected to a 10 m extension cable which one end connects in a waterproof box and the other end is a 3 pin caravan plug (blue colour) so all together I have a 20m cable. As the charge rate is considerable lower than using a home box charger the heat involved is very low, no worries about water as the cable and box are rated to IP66.

The only way to get an increased charging rate is to fit a home charger, which grants are available for if you go through an authorized supplier / installer, or you could move house to a new build as I understand in the future they will be fitted as standard.

Just make sure you have a quality extension cable and you will be fine.

PS - Welcome to the forum, I was in the same situation as you, walked into the showroom to enquiry about a Defender, came out with the Evoque as a cancelled order, even fitted with a tow bar - bonus, sometimes these things are meant to be.

Rob

Reactions: AdamB
1 - 9 of 9 Posts