Evoque Owners Club banner

2011-2017 Evoque Steering Rack Issues…

• Rack failed after 1st December 2021? (To identify any potential duplication of numbers on FaceBook)

Votes: 0 0.0%
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Okay, firstly sorry to start another thread on this sorry tale.
I was reading on the FaceBook pages on this subject that there has been loads of activity recently.
Today they posted the approx. failure numbers reported, I know that for a few years now, we have had failures, repairs, proactive replacements on many, many different threads.

Household hardware Tool Hand tool Font Gas

extract from: Evoque and Disco Sport FaceBook EPAS failure pages

“NUMBER OF FAILURES
As requested by our members, we have totalled up the number of failures for December and for January so far.
Unfortunately we cannot go further back than December, as Facebook have only recently made it possible to recheck joining questions for current members, this helps us to determine a more accurate figure. We have gone through posts and comments, as well as checking the joining questions of each member who has joined since the 1st of December as we specifically ask upon a request to join if the prospective member has experienced a failure. This figure does contain the few members that have experienced motor failure too as we believe that the cause is the same as the bolts breaking.
Please bare in mind that these figures are for this group only, and the total amount of failures will be higher.
Number of failures for December - 57
Number of failures for January 1st-11th - 32. (Edited to add on another failure this morning)
These figures are over a period of 42 days, and give an average of 14-15 failures per week or an average of 2 failures per day.
The majority of these failures are evidenced with activity (posts and comments) here in the group, and a small minority are from joining questions in which the member mentioned a failure upon joining but did not post.
We will continue to post the number of failures at the end of each month, for that month.”

Reactions: Gtiaps

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
3,426 Posts
Thanks for posting the FB text.
I still don't understand why they restrict people from reading their group? You would think they would like people to read up on this. Hopefully the people running it are doing a good job but they seem a bit strange to me! They requested all their recent posts here to be deleted?! My own reply just asking an uncontentious question was also removed on their request?

·
Registered
3,880 Posts
Dawn does post on here too hmmmmuk if you have some questions or you can PM her

Reactions: CoolBlueWhyte

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
2,494 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Well that is disappointing, 115 views and only 9 votes.
The only positive thing is that there were no failures in that 9 owners.
Does that mean that over 90% of the EOC readers have a 2018 or later Evoque?

·
Premium Member
P300E MY22 Autobiography
6,299 Posts
Well that is disappointing, 115 views and only 9 votes.
The only positive thing is that there were no failures in that 9 owners.
Does that mean that over 90% of the EOC readers have a 2018 or later Evoque?
sorry this is one I can't vote in ...

• Love

·
Registered
1,947 Posts
I hate inherent faults on cars. You would think by now car manufacturers would find weak spots in their designs, and either not put them in on the first place, or correct the design on the production line as earlier owners mention this fault in forums. Unfortunately, Car owners are just guinea pigs.

This steering rack problem reminds me of my previous Smart Roadster convertible where many were failing on steering racks. It seemed there was an interference fit in the rack and was causing low rumbling noises when going slow or on rough roads, sounded as if the rack was falling to bits. Mercedes/Smart decided that a new rack was the only solution, and I got a new rack fitted after the second year under warranty. I then sold the car right away once fixed, as did not trust the steering, as that's a worrying situation.

·
Registered
2013 Evoque 2.2 SD4 Pure Tech in Mauritius Blue with White roof and Black Leather interior.
37 Posts
I had mine replaced on my car whilst having the gearbox done and these are the ones that came out=

Wood Font Gas Tints and shades Asphalt

my mind is at rest now that they have been changed. They cost me £9-99 from a company on EBay.

1 - 7 of 7 Posts