Evoque Owners Club banner
161 - 180 of 202 Posts

·
Registered
2020 R Dynamic SE, Eiger grey, Black pack, Panoramic roof
48 Posts
I dare bet there's nothing anywhere that says it IS an approved method either.
Like I said, if it was meant to be an option for the driver to decide it would be in one of the many setting pages on the touch screen, or at least an official method stated in the handbook, and from what I've read on this thread it is not.
As far as 'its your own doing' I can only go from the info that has been put on this thread, and if it turns out to be the problem is disabling the keyless entry, well then 'its your own................

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #162 ·
I think I've read every reply on this thread from all the many contributors 3 times over and other than hmmmuk questioning whether it's an official way I'd love to see the info you've read that says it's not

·
Registered
48 Posts
How can it be 'official' if there is no setting option to turn it off or no method stated in the handbook??
I was an engineer and if you wanted people to change settings on your machinery 'officially' you told them how!!

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #164 ·
OK Mr engineer, whether its the official way or not how can it be that disabling keyless drains a battery disabled, turned off, deactivated, why does that consume battery power, as an engineer I thought you might know

·
Registered
P300e HSE R-Dynamic Eiger Grey MY21 Pivi Pro Pan Roof Tow Bar
621 Posts
I dare bet there's nothing anywhere that says it IS an approved method either.
Like I said, if it was meant to be an option for the driver to decide it would be in one of the many setting pages on the touch screen, or at least an official method stated in the handbook, and from what I've read on this thread it is not.
As far as 'its your own doing' I can only go from the info that has been put on this thread, and if it turns out to be the problem is disabling the keyless entry, well then 'its your own................
I will say this is not the only area that Land Rover don't admit it can be done, the best one is you cannot charge your P300e when in save mode, if an earlier model than this is correct but on the later models you can - but nothing is mentioned in any of the Land Rover information, so don't knock something that is not in the manual, as an Engineer you have to look at all possibilities and learn by everyone's mistakes - including Land Rovers who are the biggest culprit of not knowing how their cars work..

·
Registered
258 Posts
1) Dealersip sent me email showing method
2) Both my Dealership and Doink’s Dealership have spent several weeks trying to resolve problems - both have replaced TCU units which aren’t cheap. JLR technical department have been telling our Dealerships what to do.
3)My Dealership has spent several thousand pounds with Enterprise Rental in supplying me with replacement car
4)Doink’s Dealership have agreed to one year’s extra warranty due to problem - probably worth a few hundred pounds.

So I am blaming JLR - and surely my points above suggest JLR are admitting liability?

·
Premium Member
P300E MY22 Autobiography
7,335 Posts
<< wanders in and puts water over the fire that seems to be escalating .... hands out a few gin and tonics while we all wait for the batteries to drain ...

·
Registered
48 Posts
Sorry I don't know why the battery is being consumed, but as an engineer I will tell you this:
Enable the keyless entry using your google voodoo method. (official or not)
Your car is now back to the standard condition it should be in.
Battery no longer draining. (so your post says)
Job done.
Move on.
And squint, at what point in the very time consuming and expensive proceedings did you actually tell them you had disabled keyless entry?

·
Registered
258 Posts
Sorry I don't know why the battery is being consumed, but as an engineer I will tell you this:
Job done.
Move on.
And squint, at what point in the very time consuming and expensive proceedings did you actually tell them you had disabled keyless entry?
This all started in January this year after calling out LR Assist after disabling keyless entry for the first time.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #170 ·
I'm waiting for JLR to confirm or not confirm whether the keyfob method is a manufacturer approved way of doing it, our dealer did not question how and why we disabled the keyless feature, having spoken to the Master Technician also he too didn't raise any concerns about disabling keyless, if it turns out that the keyfob method can cause issues then I shall ask the question about coding it out instead and then to see if that generates low battery warnings, so far since last saturday after picking the car back up from the dealer I have established with the help of Squint that it has something to do with disabling the keyless because re enabling keyless does infact cure the low battery warnings and I have been able to replicate his exact problem on my car, Squint is a bit further down the road with this with his dealer than I am with mine, I'm a little more philosophical and am willing to work with the dealer to come up with a fix and so far the dealer has been willing to listen so as to even go back to JLR tech engineering and logging the link between low battery warnings and disabling of keyless, I'm awaiting a call back from the technician himself of this

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #171 ·
Job done.
Move on.
Voodoo in who's eyes.......yours, what because you don't agree with the method? Most if not all manufacturers have this ability in the keyfob.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Why do you think they have a method like this instead of having a simple on/off selector??
Because they don't want you to do this!!
This is getting silly, I genuinely hope you get your problems sorted out to your satisfaction but I have one simple question:
Do you accept that the problems you and squint are experiencing may be caused by disabling a system on your car that the manufacturers clearly do not want you to disable? And if so do you not accept that some of the blame has to be placed on yourselves?

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #173 · (Edited)
No I don't accept that, there you go again , who says the manufacturer doesn't want you to disable the feature when clearly they have built this method into the keyfobs, it's only you assuming that no one else, Squints dealer even emailed him this method and my dealers technician didn't raise any concerns either when I told him how and why I'd done it

·
Registered
48 Posts
Its only me saying it but i'm sure people reading this are thinking the same thing but don't want to get inolved.
So you won't accept that YOU disabled it, disabling it has caused your problems, but none of it is your fault.
I accept that JLR and the dealerships should be handling it better, and I also accept that the fact it can be disabled in this way is there for a reason, but not for general use or they would have made it simple, but your 'its not my fault' attitude is a bit sad.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #175 ·
You've changed your question, you said...."Do you accept that the problems you and squint are experiencing may be caused by disabling a system on your car THAT THE MANUFACTURERS CLEARLY DON'T WANT YOU TO DISABLE?"

No I don't accept that because no one knows what the manufacturer wants me to disable or not in this case, it's only you

I do however accept that disabling keyless seems to be the culprit to our low battery warnings and in our case sometimes a fully flat battery, of course I accept that but thats not what you asked at first! 😜

Reactions: ScreamingDead

·
Registered
48 Posts
Wow, this is getting pathetic!!
You know exactly what I was asking and I know all you want to do is blame JLR for a fault it looks like you have caused yourself.
I followed this thread because at first your problem seemed like it could happen to many more owners and I was interested to find out what the fault and fix was.
As the thread went on it became quite clear what the fault seems to be, it seems to be disabling keyless entry, which due to the lack of information telling people how to do this from JLR and the method involved to do it, would tell most sensible people that it is not something they want you doing.
I waited for you to, in some small way, say that maybe it is not all JLR and the dealers who are at fault (yes they could do better!) but some part of the blame is on you for altering you car from standard.
When this never came I thought I would put my opinion out there and this is the result! It is clear you want to blame JLR and the dealerships and won't man up and accept a portion of the blame is on you.
At times I feel this forum is there only for people to slag off JLR for everything they can.
I love RR, do they have problems, yes, but show me a make who doesn't!
Im sick of of reading on this forum about how bad they are so I think its time to go elsewhere, I hope you get your issues sorted.

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #178 ·
To be fair my dealer didn't know of this possible link between low battery warnings and me disabling keyless till after I'd picked the car up, if I'd had known sooner I would have told them and they could have performed the re enable/disable test themselves and would have(hopefully) seen that it seems to be linked, they do however as I said have that info now and have relayed it to JLR engineering.

If JLR engineering come back and say yes we are aware and that method is not the approved way - only coding can remove the feature properly and there isn't and won't be a fix in the form of an update then we'll all know once and for all, I would however expect them to cascade this down to the dealer network via an internal bulletin in case other dealers have customers with the same issues leaving the technicians scratching their heads, at the end of the day the powerfuluk video and countless others have probably reached hundreds of thousands of LR/RR owners, are me and Squint the only 2 that have had problems - I doubt it but if we are then clearly there is something in our two cars that doesn't like this method, is it because they're both MY20's, maybe it only affects Seoul Pearl Silver cars, maybe its because we only live 30 miles apart who knows?

·
Registered
337 Posts
JLR have always made it difficult to modify their cars, so if keyless entry can be disabled by a combination of button presses on the key fob rather than editing the cars CCF file I would believe it's a supported method - if JLR didn't want the owner to make this configuration change, the key fob method wouldn't work.

Reactions: Doink

·
Registered
4,794 Posts
Discussion Starter · #180 ·
For the avoidance of doubt I have never slagged my dealer off in fact I have sung their praises on many occasion including this one in the way they have handled it and tried to genuinely get to the bottom of this, I've been fair with them, never got heated with them, they pulled out all the stops in sourcing me an equivelant courtesy car on a saturday morning for which I was grateful and have let my appreciation be known to the dealer principle, I have even felt it only fair that I contacted them and personally spoke to the technician who worked on my car for 6 weeks to give them the heads up with this new info

161 - 180 of 202 Posts