Evoque Owners Club banner
261 - 280 of 309 Posts

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Message sent, I’ll post any reply I get.

·
Registered
MY13 2.2 SD4 Diynamic AWD 5dr
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #262 ·
Just added this to my old thread 🤦‍♂️

I just spoke to Adrian Flux and they advised that the maximum discount offered for being part of an car owners club is 15%. It isn't Adrian Flux (the broker) who gives this, but the insurer themselves. And it varies from insurer to insurer. That said, if you get a quote over the phone, one of the first things they ask you is 'are you part of an owners club or car forum'. They will then get you the best discount from those insurers. In my case, I saved about £50 👌

·
Registered
2 Posts
I purchased it from Aliexpress. It took about 4 weeks to arrive. It came with no instructions at all, not even a badly written set. I have had to request instructions, which I now have but still are far from adequate. I currently have a few things outstanding to fix/configure, and am waiting for support from the seller. Until I am happy that any item is working 'as expected', I would not recommend the seller.

I have included below what I have been provided (only when I asked for it) ...

The main thing that is lacking from the information provided, is an actual wiring diagram. The supplied loom has many connectors. I have figured most out using the 2nd video, but it doesn't show both ends of the loom, just one end near the head unit. Sadly, this is very typical of Aliexpress head units. Good at tech, poor at instructions.
Hi, I'm looking at installing one of the units also. They all seem to suggest they are compatible with the steering wheel controls but I would be interested to know what the reality is - I'm assuming vol up&down would work, but what about call accept/make and hangup? Also does the mode button do anything?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #264 ·
Hi, I'm looking at installing one of the units also. They all seem to suggest they are compatible with the steering wheel controls but I would be interested to know what the reality is - I'm assuming vol up&down would work, but what about call accept/make and hangup? Also does the mode button do anything?
The so called steering wheel controls support is underwhelming at best. Assuming you have set your OEM JLR mode to AUX, you can control the volume and previous/next track. But that is it.

As long as you have connected your phone to the OEM JLR headunit (which is now inside the Android head unit), then you can still use the phone controls on the steering wheel as normal. The downside is that you cannot see who is calling whilst in Android, unless you press the 'Original' tile on the screen - as this takes you back to the OEM display (and all OEM functionality). I think I can fix this though.

The mode button still controls the OEM mode. I.e. it needs to be set to AUX in OEM to listen to any audio in Android. If you are in Android, and then press the mode button, you will toggle OEM mode from AUX to OEM radio - and not hear any Android sound, just the OEM radio. Hope that makes sense.

There are a lot of benefits of this Android head unit, e.g. the ability to install any app from the Play Store, such as Google Maps ... and sync everything with all other devices (PC, tablet, phones, etc.). I love the way I can now plan directions on my PC and send them to my car. Plus I have YouTube Music in the car, all my playlists and favourites automatically available. Other handly apps such as Torque Pro with my OBD2 is great too. And then I can choose whatever launcher I want, to change the look and feel.

But there are a lot of hidden downsides too, so don't believe the Aliexpress waffle. The tiled UI (in the photo above) that tries to mimic the JLR one (on the newer Evoques) is pants. It doesn't look bad in the adverts, but after a couple of days of use, I have decided to make my own. No instructions are provided for installation or setup. I had a week of snagging with the vendor, who helped fix most of the issues, but it still isn't perfect. The hardware is fine, but in my experience, this type of tech always lacks in software and car integration. That is also true of this bit of kit. Simple things like not having a physical back button on the steering wheel .... no phone integration .... or not being able to use the OEM voice assistant button on the steering with Google Assistant. None of this is mentioned on Aliexpress.

There are ways to get round this though, which I am working on now. I have bought a Bluetooth button/remote which I can map to different commands in Android. E.g. back, up, down, enter, home.

It depends on what you want out of it at the end of the day. For me I was a no brainer, as I wanted (a) to replace the very dated, stock 8" system ASAP ... and (b) seamless integration with my Google apps.

·
Registered
2 Posts
The so called steering wheel controls support is underwhelming at best. Assuming you have set your OEM JLR mode to AUX, you can control the volume and previous/next track. But that is it.

View attachment 8700

As long as you have connected your phone to the OEM JLR headunit (which is now inside the Android head unit), then you can still use the phone controls on the steering wheel as normal. The downside is that you cannot see who is calling whilst in Android, unless you press the 'Original' tile on the screen - as this takes you back to the OEM display (and all OEM functionality). I think I can fix this though.

The mode button still controls the OEM mode. I.e. it needs to be set to AUX in OEM to listen to any audio in Android. If you are in Android, and then press the mode button, you will toggle OEM mode from AUX to OEM radio - and not hear any Android sound, just the OEM radio. Hope that makes sense.

There are a lot of benefits of this Android head unit, e.g. the ability to install any app from the Play Store, such as Google Maps ... and sync everything with all other devices (PC, tablet, phones, etc.). I love the way I can now plan directions on my PC and send them to my car. Plus I have YouTube Music in the car, all my playlists and favourites automatically available. Other handly apps such as Torque Pro with my OBD2 is great too. And then I can choose whatever launcher I want, to change the look and feel.

But there are a lot of hidden downsides too, so don't believe the Aliexpress waffle. The tiled UI (in the photo above) that tries to mimic the JLR one (on the newer Evoques) is pants. It doesn't look bad in the adverts, but after a couple of days of use, I have decided to make my own. No instructions are provided for installation or setup. I had a week of snagging with the vendor, who helped fix most of the issues, but it still isn't perfect. The hardware is fine, but in my experience, this type of tech always lacks in software and car integration. That is also true of this bit of kit. Simple things like not having a physical back button on the steering wheel .... no phone integration .... or not being able to use the OEM voice assistant button on the steering with Google Assistant. None of this is mentioned on Aliexpress.

There are ways to get round this though, which I am working on now. I have bought a Bluetooth button/remote which I can map to different commands in Android. E.g. back, up, down, enter, home.

It depends on what you want out of it at the end of the day. For me I was a no brainer, as I wanted (a) to replace the very dated, stock 8" system ASAP ... and (b) seamless integration with my Google apps.
Slaine - Thankyou for this very comprehensive reply. I wonder if your install posts should be more accessible in a dedicated forum section. I'm sure lots of owners would benefit from the ongoing experience you are having.
I sense this would all still work for me. My other half is still rooted in playing CD's and the other features offered by the stock system - so she could drive with that screen operational. I'm a bit more like yourself - prepared to tolerate losing some features such as all of the steering wheel controls for the benefits of a more fully featured Android based system. Being able to switch between the two would work well for us.
I think the system you linked to on Aliexpress is now out of stock but there are others. I was going to buy this unit from a uk supplier (an installer on the Wirral) on the basis that dealing with any installation issues would be easier and at worst I could drive over to them. Whilst the purchase cost would be higher, I'd be prepared to pay for this. So far they have also been very helpful and did advise that the steering wheel controls would only support vol up & down because effectively you are managing the audio level of the AUX input to which the Android system is connected.
Keep us posted on how you get on with the Bluetooth remote - sounds liek a useful addition.
Thanks again, Ian

·
Registered
3,875 Posts
Just had a reply from Adrian Flux….

Hi there,

Thanks fdr the message and advising us of the Evoque forum - I believe in the past we have featured on this forum as it's owned by Verticalscope/Tyreforums.

I will see about us re-joining though. If you need any assistance regarding your own recent Evoque purchase please just let me know and I can call you.

Thanks again.

Dan

Reactions: slaine

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #267 ·
I wonder if your install posts should be more accessible in a dedicated forum section. I'm sure lots of owners would benefit from the ongoing experience you are having.
It's a good idea. Several others have mentioned similar. I will cobble something together and post the link.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #268 ·

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #269 ·
I wonder if your install posts should be more accessible in a dedicated forum section.
I have now created a new thread detailed the Android 10.25" upgrade.

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #270 ·
The retractable door handles are going to be a bit of a bugger though
Belated reply/update ...
I am currrent in discussion with a vendor about a shaved door handle kit. Mockup below ...

• Wow
Reactions: Col_C

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #271 ·
Sorry Col, getting restless.

• Haha

·
Registered
611 Posts
Sorry Col, getting restless.
Why not convert it to a 3 door while you're at it?
Second thoughts, I think it needs gull-wing doors. :unsure:

Reactions: Biker

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #273 ·
Why not convert it to a 3 door while you're at it?
Second thoughts, I think it needs gull-wing doors. :unsure:
I actually prefer the 3 doors coming from a coupe 😉 But no, I am now a grown up with kids (repeat after me, Slaine). And I very nearly added gulwings to my Chrysler 300C (yes, I had one ... hangs head in shame 😒 )

·
Registered
MY16 Firenze Red, SE Tech ED4
16 Posts
@slaine just finished reading through the complete thread after your post on my welcome thread!! You said your motor was "slightly modified"...this is the best and most informative thing I've read in terms of modifying the evoque, thoroughly enjoyed reading and looking at the progress you've made mate!!

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #275 ·
@slaine just finished reading through the complete thread after your post on my welcome thread!! You said your motor was "slightly modified"...this is the best and most informative thing I've read in terms of modifying the evoque, thoroughly enjoyed reading and looking at the progress you've made mate!!
Cheers pal, glad you liked it 👍 Stay tuned for the next mod 😉

Reactions: Farrsy

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,929 Posts
V8 ? 😁

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #277 ·
V8 ? 😁
Lol 🤣 No, if I were considering an engine upgrade, it would be to a pure electric powertrain, not a gas gussling (but awesome sounding) engine 😉

Just waiting for a quote on parts and a spray job to see whether the 'De-Handled Evoque' is a goer 😁

Reactions: XZ4

·
Registered
MY16 Firenze Red, SE Tech ED4
16 Posts
And theres me worrying about how to fit the gloss black lettering and you've pretty much taken the whole car apart 😂

·
Registered
My65 evoque dynamic lux
5 Posts
Hi slaine just came across your post what an amazing job you have done on you evoque looks amazing. I’m still thinking of updating my screen to a 10.25 Android see couple on AliExpress for about £600 does that sound about right? 800.0US $ |MERRYWAY 10.25'' for RANGE ROVER EVOQUE 2012 2016 Dashboard Multimedia Navi GPS Bluetooth Android10.0 RAM+ROM 8+64GB Player|Car Multimedia Player| - AliExpress still have a couple of questions for you if you can help again. Is there two types of android screen resistive and Capacitiveor doesn’t it matter. What part of the country are you in?

·
Registered
528 Posts
Discussion Starter · #280 ·
I’m still thinking of updating my screen to a 10.25 Android see couple on AliExpress for about £600 does that sound about right?
Cheers. You should read this thread before buying one. The device in your link is the older model, with low resolution and the old style UI software. I have added things to check for when shopping for one of these units. Resistive touch screens are not great, they have lower contrast and only support single touch. Capacitive is much brighter and support multi touch.

261 - 280 of 309 Posts