Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've owned my RRE for nearly 2 years - it's been great and had no problems.
BUT today I had the dreaded Restricted Performance warning issued :(

No obvious problem driving the car and it got me home (I was local) ok with limited revs.
I'm still under warranty so this was my first time pressing the roof mounted 'Assist' button.
All went well and I've booked LRA in for tomorrow lunchtime to see what they can find...

As a RRE forum member I'm taking bets on 'EGR valve' - but who knows.

Updates to follow...

Reactions: CoolBlueWhyte

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #2 ·
Re. bets - after some more reading it could be ANYTHING!
MAF/MAS/DPF...

·
Registered
1,412 Posts
Amazing how quickly things can take a turn for the worse. Let's hope it is something simple and quick to fix.

Reactions: HmmmUK

·
Registered
2015 Dynamic Lux 2.2Sd4
3,684 Posts
Hi HmmmUK,
Mine was the turbo.

·
Read Only
0 Posts
I've owned my RRE for nearly 2 years - it's been great and had no problems.
BUT today I had the dreaded Restricted Performance warning issued :(

No obvious problem driving the car and it got me home (I was local) ok with limited revs.
I'm still under warranty so this was my first time pressing the roof mounted 'Assist' button.
All went well and I've booked LRA in for tomorrow lunchtime to see what they can find...

As a RRE forum member I'm taking bets on 'EGR valve' - but who knows.

Updates to follow...

Sorry to hear this hmmmuk ? What makes you think it’s theEGR valve ... how many miles have you done and what causes this ?

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Hi Donna,
Only guessing after reading other reports as it looks like a common fault. It looks like it could be all sorts of things - mostly emissions/fuel/turbo/turbo hose/sensor related (that narrows it down:rolleyes:) but not always!

This morning I don't get the 'Restricted Performance' Red Triangle but do have a yellow engine light. I've only driven it a few hundred meters so that might change.

When searching I see a couple of others have had these symptoms and it was only the fuel cap not on properly (causing pressure problems) but mine seems ok.

Even when looking at diagnostics I can see some people have problems getting to the bottom of things... :(
Hopefully I'll have a decent LRA chap in a few hours who can perform some magic.

EDIT: It's done 38k miles.

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
2,279 Posts
Oh no, that’s not good :-(

Years ago mine did the same while driving, overtaking actually, not the best time for a restricted performance fault!

Mine was the EGR valve at just over a year old and 14,000 miles and since replaced been fine ever since.

Attachments

·
Read Only
0 Posts
Hi Donna,
Only guessing after reading other reports as it looks like a common fault. It looks like it could be all sorts of things - mostly emissions/fuel/turbo/turbo hose/sensor related (that narrows it down:rolleyes:) but not always!

This morning I don't get the 'Restricted Performance' Red Triangle but do have a yellow engine light. I've only driven it a few hundred meters so that might change.

When searching I see a couple of others have had these symptoms and it was only the fuel cap not on properly (causing pressure problems) but mine seems ok.

Even when looking at diagnostics I can see some people have problems getting to the bottom of things... :(
Hopefully I'll have a decent LRA chap in a few hours who can perform some magic.

EDIT: It's done 38k miles.
Hope it’s minor update us later ... fingers crossed for you

·
Registered
1,705 Posts
Look forward to hearing the diagnosis.

As you say, could be many things ranging from low battery level to turbo problems.
Whatever it is, you've got a warranty so let's hope it gets fixed pronto and doesn't recur.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks for the comments people :)

Nice LRA chap - as helpful as he could be.
He had just come from a turbo 'split hose' job on a Freelander 2.2 so checked that first!
He showed me he had an RRE hose on board if it was that (he didn't carry a Freelander spare).
But mine looked ok.

Plugging in he found a bunch of codes, P259E (stuck closed) for the Turbo Actuator which seemed to be the main one.
He agreed that it would probably end up as a new turbo as it comes as a complete unit (as other posts here often mention).

He made a call to a colleague to see what they advised. They suggested not to reset any codes (so the dealer could see them) but to just clean the electrical contacts on the actuator. So he jacked up front o/s wheel and reached up to separate the connector and spray with contact cleaner. He said all looked fine though so didn't think he had fixed anything.
He thought this would probably be enough to reset the restricted performance (which wasn't showing on the dash but was still in limp mode when I drove it earlier) so we took it for a spin round the block - only about a mile. All seemed fine no warnings other than the yellow engine light.

He offered to help me drop it off at the dealers (about 30 mins away) but as there weren't any service staff on a Sunday I decided to speak to them tomorrow and take things from there.

He thought the engine light would stay on until I visit the dealers, but I've just shuffled around on the drive to park up and the engine light has now cleared - so no warnings atm. I'll see what happens when I go for a longer drive.

I'm in the dealers hands now - they may say just keep driving until there's a problem I'm guessing?
I've two months of warranty left and I was already intending to renew, so not too worrying - if I wasn't renewing it wouldn't be so good. But perhaps the problem will return 2 miles down the road so will need sorting anyway.

It was interesting to see that as soon as he arrived he asked about the type of journeys I did which led to a nice chat about 2.2L vs 2L DPFs etc.

So I doubt whether I'll be fixed for long but hopefully for those doing their own spanner work knowing that cleaning the contacts on the turbo actuator might get you going again in the short term.

He emailed his report (via theAA email as has been mentioned here before) I asked if it would include the error codes and he said they've been asked not to do that as they would all end up online ;)

So I've been impressed with the LRA call button in the car - takes a firm push/hold before it rings and also impressed with the LRA service man who tried his best. (Thanks again if you are reading this!)

I'll be back to update if/when things develop.

PS His van had a about half a dozen spare wheels for those in the gloop gang!

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Hey Hmmmmmm

How are you getting on? Have you got your car back?

I saw this video on YouTube and remembered you had mentioned the intercooler hose so thought it might help somebody diagnose their dreaded restricted performance problem.
It has an interesting comment about reduced power before the fault light came on as an indication of impending doom.

:)

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Hi CBW,
My Evoque hasn't gone in (so far). As per my last post I'm still error free.
I've only done about 100 miles this week. I've had other things to deal with so only got round to contacting my dealers for advice by email today. I'll be updating if the error returns or if the dealers want to take a look :)

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 · (Edited)
So nearly two years later, an update to my turbo actuator story...

My Evoque is coming up to 7 years old (how time flies!) so went in for it's service with cam belt change!
All went as planned, they also replaced my GPS antenna (under warranty) see separate thread.

BUT as they were about to return the vehicle the actuator fault reappeared!
So as before, LR confirmed this would most likely be a new turbo to resolve and this time went ahead and replaced it.
Again, all under my LR Extended Warranty. As it was a warranty via LR I didn't need to contact anyone, the dealer got all the authorisations etc. So that works well.
It was returned yesterday and today has been my first drive and all seems good :)

So for me, paying for the LR warranty was the right move...

EDIT: Just to say I've been using Harwoods for the purchase and service and can recommend them.

·
Registered
2,279 Posts
Great to hear the turbo problem is finally resolved, that is a relief and great the warranty paid for itself (y)

What did your stealer ask for a cambelt and water pump? Mine wanted £1,100 so I used an Indy to fit the JLR OEM parts for half that.

Its nice to see praise for a JLR dealer, we don’t see that often enough!

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
Great to hear the turbo problem is finally resolved, that is a relief and great the warranty paid for itself (y)

What did your stealer ask for a cambelt and water pump? Mine wanted £1,100 so I used an Indy to fit the JLR OEM parts for half that.

Its nice to see praise for a JLR dealer, we don’t see that often enough!
I paid just under £850 for 7 year service with cambelt.
No one mentioned the water pump so I'm guessing it's good to do, but it's not in the schedule.
If I wasn't intending to continue with the LR warranty then I would have asked for it to be done. But as the warranty should pick up the pieces if required, it didn't seem worth paying more.

·
Registered
116 Posts
I paid just under £850 for 7 year service with cambelt.
No one mentioned the water pump so I'm guessing it's good to do, but it's not in the schedule.
If I wasn't intending to continue with the LR warranty then I would have asked for it to be done. But as the warranty should pick up the pieces if required, it didn't seem worth paying more.
May I ask what LR warranty covers a 7 year vehicle, is it one that is renewed every year?

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·

·
Registered
116 Posts

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,989 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
TQ, beginning to think I'll never get the Evoque and will be driving my Disco Sport for several more years, so might be worth investing in this, as my car coming up 6 years old.
Unfortunately you'll have to pay for an inspection if the warranty has lapsed. If you are being messed around on a new order you could try to get them to pay for that (couple of £hundred!).

It's worth updating your forum profile with your vehicle status (Curently a DS, xxx on order.) so it's easy for people to see your situation :)

·
Super Moderator
2,744 Posts
For info Hmmm, the Water pump is driven by the cam belt, the most common cause of a belt going is because the water pump bearing seizes and the belt strips itself on the stuck pulley. If your not at average mileage them it probably nothing to worry if they didn't change it, it means coolant drain etc on top of the belt being done to do it.

1 - 20 of 24 Posts