Evoque Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
MY20 P300e PHEV | Yulong White | R-Dynamic SE | Panoramic Roof | Clearsight | Driver Assist Pack
883 Posts
I’m looking forward to the delivery of my most unreliable SUV....the problem is the delivery date from JLR is so unreliable I’ve no idea when my most unreliable SUV will arrive. 🤣🤣🤣. My delivery date has slipped from 10th Nov to 25th Nov as of this morning....clearly JLR don’t have all the bits as the battery is ‘apparently’ the holdup 🙄. Shame they can’t ship it without the battery and then retrofit it at a later date like @rencar spare wheel 😂😂😂

Reactions: Donna and rencar

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Everyone’s entitled to there opinion.... otherwise what a dull world we would live in ....some might be on different forums for different reasons , ie to find out what other models are suffering from the same problem as the evoques DPF , oil dilution problem .... me personally I think it’s good that people are made aware of it as it’s scandalous.... you can’t defend a brand that changes its literature as a get out of jail card and blames it on driving style.... i recently read on here someone had to sign a disclaimer saying they had been advised of the problem which in all honesty should of been highlighted to every owner at they point they changed literature ...

but let’s just play nicely while diss using it it’s not a character assassination...... just JLRs🤣😂😂

·
Registered
MY20 P300e PHEV | Yulong White | R-Dynamic SE | Panoramic Roof | Clearsight | Driver Assist Pack
883 Posts
My most unreliable was a Porsche Macan.
The most reliable Skoda Yeti ( 4 of them never missed a beat.)
My Evoque is now 9 months old ....and dare I say it totally reliable.:whistle:
My most unreliable car by a country mile was our Discovery, what a crock of shite that was before it caught fire at the dealership 😂

·
Registered
9,079 Posts
Government pre-action conduct and protocols require the parties engaged in civil disputes in England and Wales to attempt to resolve their differences amicably before cases will be considered for a court hearing. Instituting legal procedings is therefore the final stage of the process, seen by the law as a "measure of last resort" after all other attempts at resolving disagreements have failed. Anecdotal evidence collected over a number of years suggests that JLR Retailers and JLR-partnered finance houses deliberately stretch out faulty exhaust cases which they know they will lose during alternative dispute resolution hearings, or which they plan to concede on appeal after a first hearing has gone against them. (sometimes they do this on the day of the appeal, with the parties assembled). One way or another, generally after the maximum time permitted by the pre-action protocols has expired, the defence concedes in these cases or the decision is made in favour of the claimant. It seems that (so far) no party involved in ADR has rejected its decision in relation to the known exhaust design fault on D8 chassis SUVs and, until that happens, the prospect of a court hearing remains remote.

What is really going on?

Cases tend to drop into a familiar pattern. The claimant produces copious evidence that the systemic exhaust design fault has caused them extra costs and that JLR knew about the fault when the car was sold. Frequently this will involve a replacement DPF that JLR has already replaced at its own cost at least once. The defence always says the same thing, "there is nothing wrong with the vehicle, the claimant's driving style is responsible." Everyone with an ounce of engineering knowledge knows that there is something wrong with the exhaust system. Even chicken george, in his heart, knows today that it's unfair to blame the drivers who have done nothing with their Evoque 2.0L diesel that they didn't do with every car they had owned up until this one. But let's not get sidetracked into repeating old arguments, the matter is no longer worth debating. The bigger question is this : why, when its own documentation and the statements of its engineers provide ample proof of an engineering defect, does every case have to get dragged out for as long as possible when JLR knows that its chances of mounting a successful defence are vanishingly small? Why not just pay up at the start of each case and save everyone else's time and money?

The answer is that it is relatively easy to intimidate the average person and cow them into submission. Many people that I have spoken to about this expressed extreme nervousness about the prospects of taking on a car company, even in a pseudo-legal framework such as ADR. When you see some of the letters they have received you can understand why. Black Horse even tries to intimidate claimants' legal representatives if they think this will gain them leverage. It is a dirty business and they will pull every trick in the book to make the claimant give up before the final hurdle. Maybe some of the people this has happened to are reading this and thinking, "yes, that's what happened to me" - maybe we'll hear from one or two, who knows?

I don't "hate" - or even "dislike" - JLR, that's an illogical assertion. How can you hate an inanimate object? Things I find distasteful include narcissism, greed, lying, fraud and other baser human behaviours that have no place in civilised society. I loathe bullies and anyone who betrays public trust for their own selfish ends. I am sorry that the Design team under Gerry McGovern didn't listen to Nick Rogers' senior technical managers after they discovered the awful truth about the engine space available for the close-coupled DPF (combined DOC-CSF as fitted to the Jaguars). I wish they had rearranged the components so that these cars had been able to perform as they were supposed to. But they didn't. They put out misleading sales materials, knowing that what they were telling people wasn't true. This was done to keep the sales numbers up. The executive office came up with a strategy that it hoped would minimise the financial fallout from having a seriously faulty exhaust design on its top two selling models which included spreading the fake cover story of "driving style" being the causal phenomenon. Deception and concealment of a known fault forms a central part of the allegations contained in the Shaaya case in New Jersey and, if there is ever to be a group legal action here, it would no doubt form part of that, too.

In terms of numbers, Covid has brought an avalanche of new DPF failures and a forum poster (off the top of my head I can't remember where) said 2-3 weeks ago that one solicitor had indicated that they were currently dealing with "over a hundred" cases. Total numbers of successful claims I do not know. Successful defences from the JLR side I believe to be zero. It remains my belief that JLR does not want this issue examined in a full court. I maintain that it is easy to prove that a systemic fault exists and that, if properly presented, a case brought before the finance ombudsman should be successful. JLR likes to divide and rule. That's why it is important for owners of Epace, Evoque and Discovery Sport to know that this is a cross-model D8 platform problem.

if I could write that much without any spelling mistakes I’d be happy, for what it’s worth I love the evoque but totally agree with your point of view .... I think what they have done will at some point bite them in the arse 😃

·
Registered
183 Posts
I’m looking forward to the delivery of my most unreliable SUV....the problem is the delivery date from JLR is so unreliable I’ve no idea when my most unreliable SUV will arrive. 🤣🤣🤣. My delivery date has slipped from 10th Nov to 25th Nov as of this morning....clearly JLR don’t have all the bits as the battery is ‘apparently’ the holdup 🙄. Shame they can’t ship it without the battery and then retrofit it at a later date like @rencar spare wheel 😂😂😂
Hi UKC
How do you find information on your build, are the dealers constantly giving updates?!

·
Registered
16 Posts
Hi UKC
How do you find information on your build, are the dealers constantly giving updates?!
For me, I've asked for a weekly update from the dealership. It's worth noting that I've been lucky for a while and not seen my P300e date slip at all. However, I've now found out they've pushed build date out by a week. Delivery for first half of October. I've since come down with the dreaded rona so it's probably not a bad thing it's been pushed back.

·
Registered
183 Posts
For me, I've asked for a weekly update from the dealership. It's worth noting that I've been lucky for a while and not seen my P300e date slip at all. However, I've now found out they've pushed build date out by a week. Delivery for first half of October. I've since come down with the dreaded rona so it's probably not a bad thing it's been pushed back.
oh gosh, I’ve had it, tho mildly, early March. Just a really sore throat, no taste or smell and generally feeling wiped out. My wife had it quite severely as she’s asthmatic, she was advised to go to hospital as she found it difficult to breath but she declined opting for an inhaler that she took 8 times a day. Initially, she didn’t have the strength to inhale much but over time she managed to inhale deep puffs that helped her lungs expand.. took about a week before she was able to breath anywhere near normally.. well on the mend now, tho it did totally wipe her out mentally and physically,. Apologies for going off topic but I hope this helps..
BTW. If she had gotten any worse, I.e, lips turning blue, then she would have been taken in whether she wanted too or not.

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I think I want to sell my car ☹

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
@JRE I hope you get better faster than your car build takes 👍

Reactions: ukcommander

·
Registered
883 Posts
Hi UKC
I received an email from the dealership which was a download from the Halewood build / spec status report. It’s really detailed and even outlines the engine and gearbox model and serial numbers and all the standard and optional spec I ordered. I assume everyone gets this info that asks their dealership

·
Registered
883 Posts

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I think the pressure of the DPF threat is getting to me 🤯

·
Registered
883 Posts
What, even on MY20’s?

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
I suppose time will tell, but I’m already getting oil service messages which I understand is linked to the DPF problems the ingenium engine has. I haven’t heard anything about JLR changing the architecture which causes the DPF problem, so I assume its going to suffer the same issues.
I really hope not, but I do have a bit of a thing about “common faults”:
Even though my RCZ hasn’t really had any issues, one of the things that made me look to change was the fact that they do have quite a list of problems. I hated the fact that maybe I was going to have one or more of the faults that I read about so many times on the RCZ forum. I know that I give out advice to new members that forums are mainly frequented by owners with faults, so they can be negatively biased, but I still worried about reading so many similar faults.
I assumed that buying a car that costs as much as the RRE does would be some sort of guarantee. I had heard that Range Rovers had a chequered history, but rather naively hoped that the latest models would have had everything sorted.
Other than having to have the balance shaft replaced and now the oil service message, I have no actual reason to worry, but I now seem to find myself back in the same position I thought I was getting away from, worrying about the “what might & quite probably will happen”.
I will see how it goes through the warranty period and if problems occur, it will probably have to go. If not, I’ll likely keep it until the warranty expires, and then see what my OH thinks about swapping, but I doubt it will be another JLR product.

·
Registered
883 Posts
That’s a real shame @DKZ5745

You would think the engine, cooling and exhaust system wouldn’t be a straight carryover into the L551 without some type of improvement or modifications. It’s a shame to have that worry and concern on ‘what might happen’ with a new product and the not knowing if the DPF issue will carry over into your own pride and joy.

The daft thing is, I’m almost certain my PHEV will suffer a ‘big issue’ of some kind in year 1, Especially with a new and unproven engine and a untested battery system. I’m still happy making the purchase but mindful of the risk of failure having owned a shocking Disco. I’ll just get rid if it gives me grief. However, we as customers shouldn’t have to prepare ourselves for potential failure So early into ownership.

Reactions: rencar and DKZ5745

·
Registered
1,793 Posts
Exactly that UKC. I realised the costs of repairs on RR’s was exorbitant, but it had always been in my mind that anything that happened would be covered under warranty, and the likelihood of anything happening to such a car was remote.
My thoughts had been that I could probably take out an extended warranty if I liked the car as much as I thought I would, just as I have done with the RCZ.
But then reading how JLR dismiss claims regarding the DPF due to driving style, even during the warranty period, and that a DPF replacement runs into the thousands, this just de-values the whole new car experience.
I may be worried unjustly, I really hope I am, but the thought of this issue hanging over me is not something I had ever thought would happen when I bought the car, especially when I had to do an aweful lot of persuading of my OH who was dead set against a Range Rover in favour of a Merc or similar.
Paradoxically, she now seems to love the RRE, it’s me that can’t help worrying about possible problems.

Reactions: ukcommander

·
Registered
983 Posts
I suppose time will tell, but I’m already getting oil service messages which I understand is linked to the DPF problems the ingenium engine has. I haven’t heard anything about JLR changing the architecture which causes the DPF problem, so I assume its going to suffer the same issues.
The problem with forums is that an issue for a member can in some circumstances trigger an over the top reaction from other members.
Forums are the places where the negative issues tend to be to the fore.

I should make it perfectly clear that I totally agree that the issues with the "MK1" diesels and DPF is a scandal and the way it has been handled in some cases is unforgiveable.

But, there is a saying "Assumption can be the mother of all f**k ups".
There is an assumption the Mk2 diesels are going to go the way of the Mk1 ?
The Mk2 has been out well over a year.
There are thousands of Mk2 diesels out there.
I have only seen two topics posted on here in that time for a Mk2 with DPF problems.
One had a completely faulty DPF from the factory which was changed under warranty.
The other was a faulty DPF sensor again changed under warranty.
So given the evidence (and we should always comment based on evidence not hyperbole) there is so far no apparent issue with the Mk2 diesels as regards DPF's in the same way of the Mk1.
It's not uncommon for an interim oil change and many owners of ingenium diesels in JLR models not affected by DPF issues do annual oil changes as a matter of course instead of every two years.
The Jaguar F-Pace 3.0 diesel which is not a model with DPF issues due to exhaust architecture still suffers from oil dilution in a few cases and can throw a warning for an interim oil change.
It just means an oil change for some once a year instead of every two years.
Try not to worry and don't dump the car because of what you read on forums.
Use your own experience and what your car is doing to make judgements.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,112 Posts
...Use your own experience and what your car is doing to make judgements.
I agree, and while a vehicle is under warranty LR do seem to look after people - eventually.

But I think @DKZ5745 has been unlucky having balancer shaft bearing failure on a MY20 - it's a shame LR hadn't sorted that issue out as it's been going on for a few years. But they fixed things and perhaps it will be smooth driving from now on :)

Reactions: DKZ5745
21 - 40 of 42 Posts