Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 56 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi is it only at the dealers that maps can be updated ? I have a 2016 evoque no Sd card in the car so I’m thinking ether by USB or disc update. Thanks

·
Registered
45 Posts
I downloaded the maps onto a USB and did it myself. I am not sure if that applies to a 2016 model though

·
Registered
571 Posts

·
Registered
39 Posts
From a previous post!

https://www.landrover.com/ownership/incontrol/incontrol-user-guide/incontrol-maps-updates.html

Choose the InControl that matches your car!

As 2016 was the change year, your might fall into either version of InControl.

It is easy to see the style of maps on your car in relation to those displayed on the web.

Best

Ian
Sadly doesn't work for me as I am not able to sign in to InControl from the car. It always tells me that there is a problem at their end and to try later. I think that translates as 'go away' as it has been the same for over a month.

·
Registered
45 Posts
You sign on your PC and it downloads a “downloaded” program which it then uses to put the map data onto the USB. You plug the USB in (needs to be at least 32GB) and the Sat navy detects it and updates. It takes about 15 mins

·
Registered
571 Posts
Sadly doesn't work for me as I am not able to sign in to InControl from the car. It always tells me that there is a problem at their end and to try later. I think that translates as 'go away' as it has been the same for over a month.
Give Customer Experience a call as they are having issues with InControl.
They might be able to help.

:

UK Customer Experience Centre

0370 5000 500

If you don't like 0370 numbers

T: 01926 691705

Best

Ian

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
Rik..... just out of interest does you stop/start still work .... I used to find that if the battery wasn't fully charged used to tell me to go away as well .... lol

·
Registered
39 Posts
Rik..... just out of interest does you stop/start still work .... I used to find that if the battery wasn't fully charged used to tell me to go away as well .... lol
Yes, the Start / Stop still works although I am not a great fan.

·
Registered
32 Posts
I have a 2016 Evoque with the "InControl Touch Plus - with CD player" system. (The one with physical buttons either side of the display)

I've been scouring the net about this to try to make sense of what it does and doesn't do.

It appears pre-2016 cars had an SD card to update maps. According to the user manual, 2017 cars update their maps via a USB.
Nothing, however, is mentioned in the user manual for 2016 cars, except that map updating has to be done at a dealer. (I have no SD card slot, just 2x USB sockets in the centre armrest)

Also, the 2017 cars can use the 3G internet to add info to the Nav route, but on 2016 cars the only use for the 3G is to provide an in-car WiFi (pretty useless these days) and to access the LR Incontrol apps when your mobile is connected to the car via a USB cable ! (also pretty useless).

2017 cars can connect to a nearby WiFi. 2016 cars cannot.

I also have a subscription to "InControl Remote Premium" which includes Incontrol Protect and Incontrol Secure. This uses a separate SIM card hidden somewhere in the car to do things like :
Remote Beep & Flash.
Remote Climate.
Vehicle Security remote Lock/Unlock.
Vehicle Security remote Alarm Reset.
Vehicle Wake Up.

If anyone knows any different, please correct me.

·
Registered
5,145 Posts
I have a 2016 Evoque with the "InControl Touch Plus - with CD player" system. (The one with physical buttons either side of the display)

I've been scouring the net about this to try to make sense of what it does and doesn't do.

It appears pre-2016 cars had an SD card to update maps. According to the user manual, 2017 cars update their maps via a USB.
Nothing, however, is mentioned in the user manual for 2016 cars, except that map updating has to be done at a dealer. (I have no SD card slot, just 2x USB sockets in the centre armrest)

Also, the 2017 cars can use the 3G internet to add info to the Nav route, but on 2016 cars the only use for the 3G is to provide an in-car WiFi (pretty useless these days) and to access the LR Incontrol apps when your mobile is connected to the car via a USB cable ! (also pretty useless).

2017 cars can connect to a nearby WiFi. 2016 cars cannot.

I also have a subscription to "InControl Remote Premium" which includes Incontrol Protect and Incontrol Secure. This uses a separate SIM card hidden somewhere in the car to do things like :
Remote Beep & Flash.
Remote Climate.
Vehicle Security remote Lock/Unlock.
Vehicle Security remote Alarm Reset.
Vehicle Wake Up.

If anyone knows any different, please correct me.
Are you sure you can't put in a SD card in the panel on the left hand side of the boot.... know nothing about map updates as I never bothered but I had a SD slot and same set up as yours :)

·
Registered
334 Posts
You sign on your PC and it downloads a “downloaded” program which it then uses to put the map data onto the USB. You plug the USB in (needs to be at least 32GB) and the Sat navy detects it and updates. It takes about 15 mins
I did it yesterday - although the program still says it needs a 32GB USB stick (or something like 28.6GB of space) it wouldn’t allow me to download until I used a 64GB USB stick - the 32GB ones I used previously no-longer seemed to have enough capacity.

·
Registered
287 Posts
I did it yesterday - although the program still says it needs a 32GB USB stick (or something like 28.6GB of space) it wouldn’t allow me to download until I used a 64GB USB stick - the 32GB ones I used previously no-longer seemed to have enough capacity.

It's a real pain and lots of moans across other forums too.
A brand new 32GB stick I had comes up with 28.6Gb of free space and the latest update I recently did needed 26.9Gb even though it says its around 25Gb.:sad:
I bought a 64GB stick like you but then I used an online program to format it to FAT 32 which worked fine.
Did you have to format your 64Gb stick to FAT 32 or did it work straight out of the box?

·
Registered
571 Posts
It's a real pain and lots of moans across other forums too.
A brand new 32GB stick I had comes up with 28.6Gb of free space and the latest update I recently did needed 26.9Gb even though it says its around 25Gb.:sad:
I bought a 64GB stick like you but then I used an online program to format it to FAT 32 which worked fine.
Did you have to format your 64Gb stick to FAT 32 or did it work straight out of the box?
I think that the car test which now includes a sec tion on how a car works, oil checks etc. will shortly have to include basic computer skills!!

USB sticks 'usually' come formatted with FAT 32, but the larger ones from 128Gb upwards 'sometimes' come formatted with ExFAT.

Sadly a lot of systems don't understand ExFAT!
So if your USB stick has been formatted with ExFAT the car's electronics won't read it!
Audi did at least tell you this, something JLR don't!

I downloaded the latest map for mine, a 2017 with InControl Touch Pro, and a 32GB stick is large enough for the Europe and Russia maps.

So if you buy a 64Gb 'do' check that it is formatted FAT32.
Windows sometimes throws a wobbly and says it has to be NTFS if is larger than 32Gb so you need to download a free formatter that does format 64Gb in FAT32.

I have a Mac and that throws up another problem in the form of 'hidden' files that the OS uses but causes confusion elsewhere!

My car, having set a waypoint, I drove down the M5 and stopped for a comfort break at Bridgewater Services, and when I got going again had conveniently forgotten the waypoint! I only realised when I was sure I should have left the M5 for Yeovil but saw Honiton junction coming up!
That added about 60 miles to my journey!

To cap it all after a lovely day with my son and Grandson at Pecorama, the bloody Data SIM wouldn't read, it had performed perfectly before on the journey there telling me of every traffic jam with total accuracy!
I thought I had somehow used all the data, but on checking. no there was 100Mb left, and on putting it back in the car the following morning, it read it OK! So I then used the iPhone's data via HotSpot for traffic data, but that decided to not connect for my journey home up the M5! To be honest the M5 North was remarkably empty at 10pm.
Still had idiots driving in the middle lane of a 3 lane motorway when the inside lane is completely empty! Why isn't there a police patrol there when you need it? Driving without due care and attention, 3 points and a fine!

Computers, don't you love them!

Best

Ian

·
Registered
287 Posts
So if you buy a 64Gb 'do' check that it is formatted FAT32.
Windows sometimes throws a wobbly and says it has to be NTFS if is larger than 32Gb so you need to download a free formatter that does format 64Gb in FAT32.

Yes, the new 64Gb was pre-formatted to ExFAT as I'd heard anything 64GB upwards was ExFAT out of the box.
Luckily this was being discussed on the Velar forums and people had posted links to software which will format the 64 to FAT 32 as they had tried with a new stick but the system wouldn't take it unless it was FAT32.
I was curious as to whether "Syl" had managed to do the download without formatting the bigger stick.
I heard that if you have a Mac it has an option to format ExFAT to FAT 32 without external software.

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
...I bought a 64GB stick like you but then I used an online program to format it to FAT 32 which worked fine.
I take it you aren't using Windows, which allows you to format FAT32 without any extra s/w?

#JustChecking :)

·
Registered
287 Posts
I take it you aren't using Windows, which allows you to format FAT32 without any extra s/w?
#JustChecking :)
I am and have formatted to FAT 32 before but on a 32GB stick without any issues.
But the 64GB is preformatted to ExFAT and the normal windows system won't do it hence why a lot of people are using external software which will do it. (takes seconds).

·
Registered
1,168 Posts
Interesting - I haven't come across exFAT yet.
You would think that 'format' wouldn't care and would splat things.

W10 has exFAT has an option in the format file systems so you would think it would handle things...

EDIT: Just had a read. As you say larger drives (64GB+) don't play nicely in W10 format for FAT32.

·
Registered
32 Posts
Are you sure you can't put in a SD card in the panel on the left hand side of the boot.... know nothing about map updates as I never bothered but I had a SD slot and same set up as yours :)
Yes, I've quadruple-checked -
In the boot is a slot for the SIM card and another USB slot with a spanner symbol on it. I presume the USB stick with the map update goes in there.

I don't think I'm brave enough to try putting in a USB stick with a map update for a 2017 model. Any thoughts from the technical staff ?

1 - 20 of 56 Posts