Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
2018 Range Rover Evoque SE Tech TD4 Auto Cirrus Gray
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi, I have seen many instances of Land Rover Assist in discussions. Is this facility only available to vehicles under warranty or could someone simply explain what it is. Many thanks in advance.

·
Registered
MY20.5 R-Dynamic HSE
3,302 Posts
Yes it's basically a breakdown service lumped into the benefits you get from buying from a dealer, new cars have it for 3 years while approved used have a year or the remaining balance if it's still under 3 years old.

Assist is technically just the AA but the technicians on the LR contract have silver vans liveried up with JLR branding and uniform as well as specific JLR training, access to JLR systems and also carry some common parts on the van, other manufacturers do the same, sometimes though if the silver assists are busy they will send a yellow AA patrol, obviously you'd hope to get a silver one but not heard any bad stories from owners who got the yellow.

You also can't buy assist on its own once yours runs out, you can only get it again by extending your dealer warranty whether it's after the 3 years manufacturers warranty has run out OR the 1 year approved used has, note though you need to extend the warranty BEFORE your current one runs out otherwise they'll insist on inspecting your car first at a cost of £180 plus vat

I think assist is definitely worth having, they'll override the dealer booking in system and get you in if the dealer is saying 1 month waiting and they'll also arrange a courtesy car if the dealer has none available

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque HSE Dynamic 2.0D
93 Posts
My understanding (having recently been bombarded with email reminders to renew my Land Rover Protect subscription) is that once the warranty expires, providing I have the Protect subscription in place, I can still use the Land Rover Assist button and they will co-ordinate with my existing (Yellow Van) breakdown service. Not a massive benefit but does provide a little extra reassurance that my wife will be OK in the event of an accident or breakdown while driving alone.

·
Registered
MY20.5 R-Dynamic HSE
3,302 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but I think the SOS and assist are two seperate things, theres certainly 2 buttons on the overhead console, one is for when your upside down in a ditch and the car on fire and the other is for when you have a flat battery

Reactions: Fergie

·
Registered
93 Posts
I'm not 100% sure but I think the SOS and assist are two seperate things, theres certainly 2 buttons on the overhead console, one is for when your upside down in a ditch and the car on fire and the other is for when you have a flat battery
Yes, according to the InControl Terms and Conditions the SOS button and automated emergency call in the event of an accident will remain active even without a subscription until the car is 10 years old.

4.6 Limited emergency call after your subscription ends

IF YOU DO NOT RENEW YOUR SOS EMERGENCY CALL SERVICE AS PART OF YOUR INCONTROL PROTECT OR REMOTE SUBSCRIPTION, A LIMITED EMERGENCY CALL SERVICE WILL REMAIN ACTIVE FOR A TOTAL OF 10 YEARS FROM THE START OF THE ORIGINAL MANUFACTURER’S WARRANTY PERIOD FOR THE VEHICLE. CONNECTIVITY BETWEEN YOUR VEHICLE AND EMERGENCY SERVICES AND / OR JAGUAR LAND ROVER WILL CONTINUE, WHICH WILL BE TRIGGERED IN THE EVENT OF AN EMERGENCY. SPECIFICALLY, IF VEHICLE SENSORS DETECT THAT AN ACCIDENT MAY HAVE OCCURRED, INCLUDING THROUGH A TRIGGER SUCH AS DEPLOYMENT OF THE VEHICLE’S AIRBAGS, THE VEHICLE MAY AUTOMATICALLY INITIATE A CALL TO CONTACT EMERGENCY SERVICES, OR YOU MAY BE ABLE TO MANUALLY INITIATE A VOICE CALL FOR EMERGENCY SERVICES VIA THE SOS EMERGENCY CALL BUTTON LOCATED IN THE OVERHEAD CONSOLE.

YOUR PERSONAL CONTACT DETAILS WILL REMAIN AVAILABLE TO EMERGENCY SERVICES PROVIDED YOUR VEHICLE IS ASSOCIATED WITH YOUR INCONTROL ACCOUNT. SHOULD YOU WISH TO REMOVE THE VEHICLE FROM YOUR INCONTROL ACCOUNT, THIS CAN BE DONE THROUGH THE MY INCONTROL WEBSITE. ONCE YOU HAVE REMOVED THE VEHICLE FROM YOUR INCONTROL ACCOUNT, THE EMERGENCY SERVICES AND / OR JAGUAR LAND ROVER WILL NO LONGER HAVE ACCESS TO YOUR PERSONAL CONTACT DETAILS (NAME, ADDRESS AND MOBILE NUMBER). THIS MEANS THEY WILL ONLY BE ABLE TO CONTACT OR LOCATE YOU VIA YOUR VEHICLE WHEN AN EMERGENCY CALL IS MADE. YOUR PERSONAL INFORMATION WILL CONTINUE TO BE USED FOR THE LIMITED EMERGENCY CALL SERVICE AS SET OUT IN THE INCONTROL PACKAGE PRIVACY POLICY, AND THESE TERMS WILL CONTINUE TO APPLY.

·
Registered
MY20.5 R-Dynamic HSE
3,302 Posts
Yes but as I said in my last post SOS isn't LR assist(breakdown assistance), your confusing the two. You've basically pulled up a load of bumpf saying SOS will still work outside of a subscription, where as LR assist has to be renewed after the warranty period has ended

Reactions: Fergie

·
Registered
93 Posts
No confusion here...
a-call (SOS button) - works with or without a subscription to provide emergency (112) cover
b-call (LR Assist button) - for breakdown cover and only works if a valid subscription is in place
The only thing that I am unsure of, but hope not to have to find out, is the level of service provided by LR Assist once the warranty expires. I have just purchased a 2 year LR Protect subscription but the warranty expires in 11 months. I find the LR Remote functions useful so for the very small additional cost it seemed sensible to go for the 2 years.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
3,129 Posts
@RedOne Your LR Assist will end with your warranty if you don't renew.

LR Protect (Remote / InControl) is a separate subscription service and isn't dependent on a warranty or LRA.

Is that what you are after?

·
Registered
2018 Range Rover Evoque SE Tech TD4 Auto Cirrus Gray
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Thanks to all of you that contributed to educating me about Land Rover Assist.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts