Evoque Owners Club banner

Low Coolant warning! 8month old car!

26K views 26 replies 12 participants last post by  XZ4 
#1 ·
Evening!
Been getting low coolant warnings first thing in the morning.
Checked the level and it's below minimum. Can't see any leaks/drips on the floor.
Do I....
Call LRA and get them to "take a look"/ top it up
Or
Go to Halfords and buy some coolant
Or
Any other suggestions!

Any help would be great!

#2 ·
If it's only a bit, I'd put some distilled water in to top up, and see if it goes down again. If you add Coolant be sure it's the right stuff.

#3 ·
Could be a slow seep from somewhere. As Phil says top it up with distilled water & keep an eye on it . If you get coolant from Halfords make sure it's OAT Type.

As an aside - In Halfords today. 10 Ltr Adblue £14 ( reduced from £20). Don't know if that's expensive as I don't use it.Edited by: BobH

#4 ·
If the problem persists your dealer should run a pressure test to see if there is a slight leak anywhere. It doesn't always show up as a drip on the floor as a very minor leak around a faulty hoseclip or similar may only occur when the engine is hot and running and the cooling system is under pressure.

#5 ·
Ended up calling LRA out - will be round later today. My logic is that I'm paying for the service. Why not use it.
Also because I don't have distilled water to hand.

#7 ·
I added this to my list of faults as well!
2 weeks ago I got the same warning.....every morning when I set out to work.
Check level and it was ok.
Put car back into LR with a load more issues and they did a pressure test on it and said everything was fine? So why the warning? They didn't know.
Faulty sensor i think.
But unlike yours Majeric, my level was ok......
Not happened since they done the pressure test.

#8 ·
Not sure if I should be worried then.
Obviously the coolant level was correct at factory as I haven't had any alerts up until now.
Now I'm getting them. The coolant level is about an inch below the min level mark.
Where did that inch go?!?!
It's supposed to be a closed system. Unless the weather has really made a difference to it.

#9 ·
LRA been and gone.
So, there is a known issue with the ingenium engine.
Somewhere in the coolant system an air pocket gets created which causes the coolant level to drop over time.
It's at factory that this happens. Then the air pocket pops and drops the coolant level.

Apparently LR have advised LRA of this.
Topped up with water and all seems fine.
He said he's had quite a few of these the past few weeks.
Probed about pressure test, he said if it drops again, call us out/book it in.

#10 ·
Thanks for sharing that info Maj
. At least it's not a worry if it happens to me now.

#12 ·
majeric said:
LRA been and gone.
So, there is a known issue with the ingenium engine.
Somewhere in the coolant system an air pocket gets created which causes the coolant level to drop over time.
It's at factory that this happens. Then the air pocket pops and drops the coolant level.

Apparently LR have advised LRA of this.
Topped up with water and all seems fine.
He said he's had quite a few of these the past few weeks.
Probed about pressure test, he said if it drops again, call us out/book it in.

Thanks, that's worth knowing incase it turns up on my 'relatively' new car.

I suppose that this is a one off issue as once the air pocket has gone thaen the issue is/should be resolved.

#13 ·
Indeed, should be one off that you have to top up the coolant.

#15 ·
It actually makes sense that there is air pocket in the system.
Empty coolant system - fill it up with fluid, how does one shake out any trapped bubbles.
Realistically, you can't. Just have to let the car do it itself but then you run into low coolant alerts.

I'd be interested how the braking system is filled up.
I'm assuming they are topped up, then bled a little to release any air.

#16 ·
Yes, you'd hope they've designed the brakes to not have air locks!

When I did my pads I noticed the chamber does not overflow when you push the pads back!

#17 ·
If it's still anything like when I actually did my own car maintenance when I were a lad, there is a bleed nipple by the brake cylinder on each wheel, which are bled in turn to release any air in the system. Used to have to pump quite a bit of brake fluid through until it ran clear without any air bubbles.

#18 ·
majeric said:
It actually makes sense that there is air pocket in the system.
Empty coolant system - fill it up with fluid, how does one shake out any trapped bubbles.
Realistically, you can't. Just have to let the car do it itself but then you run into low coolant alerts. ...
I don't think they've got some bloke at the end of the production line dribbling coolant into the header, massaging the hoses and then running the engine up to temperature to ensure the 'stat has opened and all the air is out - that'd certainly bring the production line to a grinding halt. It must be done by machine and I'd guess that they first cause a vacuum in the system and then the coolant is added. I have such a tool in my workshop but I'd imagine LR have a much larger automated one!

#20 ·
Worth checking the level - its probably just tinkering on the lowest level.

SteveM69 said:
I had the low coolant level very briefly last night but it disappeared as quickly as it came and didn't re-appear this morning. Haven't actually checked the coolant level yet.

#22 ·
I had this recently. Checked and it was about 5mm blow the minimum. Topped it up and not come back .

#23 ·
XZ4 said:
I had this recently.  Checked and it was about 5mm blow the minimum.  Topped it up and not come back .  
Same as me. Not come back since - tho whole separate post about getting the .... cap off

#24 ·
Had a look but can't find the topic on here re removal of the cap. I thought someone had cross threaded mine as it was very tight to come off. Also took the skin off my bloody knuckles as there is a sharp plastic bit very close to the cap

#25 ·
#26 ·
We had 12 Peugeot Parnter vans delivered earlier this year.

We are required to daily and weekly checks, about two weeks in all of the water reservoirs were showing below the min level, as they were all doing this we assumed there was also an air bubble in the system and just topped up the levels.

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.