Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 18 of 18 Posts

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I know this sounds daft but this morning I disabled keyless entry - I have never done this before but decided to after reading it was a way of minimising car theft.
On unlocking the car several hours later the above message appeared. I have had the car from new about 18 months ago and done 21,000 miles - the majority of which are motorway driving.
Is there any connection between disabling keyless entry and battery level? - I would have thought it would only be better.
I telephoned Land Rover Assist who are coming tomorrow.

·
Registered
2021 P300e (Now sold, new car arriving 03/22)
1,222 Posts
Probably just a coincidence....have you tried charging the battery?

·
Registered
94 Posts
Probably a coincidence. Take it for a drive and it will go away

·
Premium Member
P300E MY22 Autobiography
6,299 Posts
wouldn't have thought it was connected am with Jono14 .. but i had this in my last one same car , and took it for a drive , also disabled my stop/start whist i was driving to recharge faster... and after that it was fine .. stop/ start was good to go and everything worked fine after that,,, I would try that :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
wouldn't have thought it was connected am with Jono14 .. but i had this in my last one same car , and took it for a drive , also disabled my stop/start whist i was driving to recharge faster... and after that it was fine .. stop/ start was good to go and everything worked fine after that,,, I would try that :)

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Thanks for replies.
Just seeen this on another thread:

“Adamdudley
·
Registered
Joined 6 mo ago · 2 Posts
#8 · 6 mo ago

Hiya, we’re having the same issue with the same year/model evoque had assist out 3 times and just I’ve found car dead again but with rear lights on while locked? They prev did all updates last visit. Only change I made prior to this was turn off keyless entry on remote. Out of interest had you done this in yours? Any update on yours too ? Thanks”

No lights were on mine.
As stated in original post most of driving is on motorway.
I haven’t tried using a charger - thought it best to call-out LR Assist to check battery first.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
LR Assist came out this morning.
The low battery level message appeared again after not using the car for 14 hours.
I suggested that the cause could have been due to disabling keyless entry - technician said “no”.
So he did various tests - disconnected and reconnected battery and all was well - and then decided disabling keyless entry WAS the cause!!!!

·
Premium Member
P300E MY22 Autobiography
6,299 Posts
LR Assist came out this morning.
The low battery level message appeared again after not using the car for 14 hours.
I suggested that the cause could have been due to disabling keyless entry - technician said “no”.
So he did various tests - disconnected and reconnected battery and all was well - and then decided disabling keyless entry WAS the cause!!!!
oh it was and did he explain why? would love to know ... as I'm intrigued as to why... but at least you know why .. so have you turned it back on?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
oh it was and did he explain why? would love to know ... as I'm intrigued as to why... but at least you know why .. so have you turned it back on?
He didn’t know - in fact he did even know keyless entry could be disabled.
It was still disabled after battery being reconnected so I’ve left it to see what happens.

·
Registered
2021 P300e (Now sold, new car arriving 03/22)
1,222 Posts
He didn’t know - in fact he did even know keyless entry could be disabled.
It was still disabled after battery being reconnected so I’ve left it to see what happens.
That's really surprising...Land Rover Assist technicians are normally brilliant and extremely knowledgeable.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
3,426 Posts
@squint Did he explain why he decided it was in fact the change in keyless entry? Did his diagnostics point to something?
From your details it doesn't really look like he knew what was going on.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
@squint Did he explain why he decided it was in fact the change in keyless entry? Did his diagnostics point to something?
From your details it doesn't really look like he knew what was going on.
He did various tests which were all OK.
He assumed the change caused a “glitch” in the electronics. Explained there were 3 reasons why a battery gets drained - and he could find no reason.
The fact the same thing has happened to someone else suggests he’s right.

·
Registered
695 Posts
There's a known "glitch" where connecting/disconnecting to the OBD diagnostics port can cause a continued subsequent battery drain (this has happened to my car each time it has been MOT'd by my JLR dealer). It's also known that disconnect/reconnect of the battery resets and removes the drain problem, so it could still be that your issue is unconnected to the keyless mode change.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
There's a known "glitch" where connecting/disconnecting to the OBD diagnostics port can cause a continued subsequent battery drain (this has happened to my car each time it has been MOT'd by my JLR dealer). It's also known that disconnect/reconnect of the battery resets and removes the drain problem, so it could still be that your issue is unconnected to the keyless mode change.

But the only thing I did was to disable keyless entry.

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·

·
Registered
695 Posts
Yes, possibly another glitch that may or may not be repeatable. But my main point was that the battery disconnect/reconnect is a known fix to stopping some battery drain situations, so perhaps unconnected to you disabling/re-enabling keyless?

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Yes, possibly another glitch that may or may not be repeatable. But my main point was that the battery disconnect/reconnect is a known fix to stopping some battery drain situations, so perhaps unconnected to you disabling/re-enabling keyless?
But it’s quite a coincidence considering my daily driving has been consistent since I’ve had the car.

This is technician’s report:

“How we assisted
Reported low battery message after switching of the keyless entry,battery voltage was 10.00 volts,battery tested frozen battery and low state of charge,alternator is charging ok,QD was 0.02 amp,boost started the car to re charge the battery,re tested battery and was charge and re test,advised to drive car to re charge battery.”

·
Registered
229 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
Update:
Have driven about 200 miles since being “fixed” - mainly motorway driving.
This morning battery was so flat couldn’t even unlock car with remote - ALSO - lights illuminating rear number plate were on - reason for low battery as car not driven for about 18 hours.
LR Assist called again - charged battery and re- enabled keyless locking in an attempt to prevent re-occurrence. This was different technician to first who says he has heard of disabling keyless entry causing this problem.

1 - 18 of 18 Posts