Evoque Owners Club banner
41 - 57 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
I bought this 'RS components 706-7918' portable one for our 12V caravan battery trickle charge topup, it was £25 at Lidi supermarket a few years back, works fine. It has a fold up heavy duty casing that does not damage easily. Checking on the RS component website it is now just over £30 ....you might get it elsewhere cheaper.

Reactions: rawpilot

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi I’m thinking of getting one of these, did it work okay.....by the way I have solar glass fitted do you think it will work though the glass? Thanks in anticipation!

·
Registered
MY16 Evoque SE TECH TD4 fully loaded
93 Posts
When I saw my car in the dealership, it had this message, I requested they change the battery before I purchased and they claimed to do it. No message shown.

At least until now. 1month later, I admit I have been adjusting the electric seats with the engine off more frequently now. But the message came up yesterday. So I have driven the car for 45minutes on a motorway and it's now gone...but for how long?

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
426 Posts
When I saw my car in the dealership, it had this message, I requested they change the battery before I purchased and they claimed to do it. No message shown.

At least until now. 1month later, I admit I have been adjusting the electric seats with the engine off more frequently now. But the message came up yesterday. So I have driven the car for 45minutes on a motorway and it's now gone...but for how long?
Not long....best get a smart charger on it :sneaky:(y)

·
Registered
151 Posts

Rawpilot's advice may well be the one to follow, but I have never had to purchase or use a charger and we only start the car up once or twice a week.

As in your case, the message was showing when we picked it up from the dealer in 2017, and it appeared again after the first lockdown in 2020, but we have had no problems in between or since.

I'm expecting to have the battery renewed next year, but only as planned maintenance for a car that will be six/seven years old.

·
Registered
2013 2.2 SD4 Dynamic Hatchback 5d Auto
39 Posts
The Solar maintainers appear to work quiet well. I bought one for my Dad from Halfrauds.
As during the first lockdown his battery died and he needed a new one.
He couldn’t use a trickle charger as he has no off street parking.

Bought the middle of the road 2.4W unit. We are talking a 1.4 Fiesta here and the unit just plugs into the cigar lighter as his model has a live socket at all times. You may need a OBD2 adapter for vehicles that shut down the cigar lighter socket when the ignition is switched off.
I don’t think it would work on a dead battery but to keep it topped up it does the job.

·
Registered
93 Posts
Rawpilot's advice may well be the one to follow, but I have never had to purchase or use a charger and we only start the car up once or twice a week.

As in your case, the message was showing when we picked it up from the dealer in 2017, and it appeared again after the first lockdown in 2020, but we have had no problems in between or since.

I'm expecting to have the battery renewed next year, but only as planned maintenance for a car that will be six/seven years old.
I don't have a driveway/garage for this car so cannot trickle charge it or use the smart charger

The Solar maintainers appear to work quiet well. I bought one for my Dad from Halfrauds.
As during the first lockdown his battery died and he needed a new one.
He couldn’t use a trickle charger as he has no off street parking.

Bought the middle of the road 2.4W unit. We are talking a 1.4 Fiesta here and the unit just plugs into the cigar lighter as his model has a live socket at all times. You may need a OBD2 adapter for vehicles that shut down the cigar lighter socket when the ignition is switched off.
I don’t think it would work on a dead battery but to keep it topped up it does the job.
Does this involve connecting it to the battery each time? Is it even safe, as the risk that the car could catch fire is daily and the owner would not even know if it were to happen and insurance will not pay out.

Also, How many batteries does the evoque actually have? Which battery is the one playing up, as I saw a video where they said a battery costs £500 from Halfrauds:unsure:

·
Registered
39 Posts
Jas, You can connect direct the battery but
that’s a bit of a pain. Dad’s can connect via the cigar lighter socket but he’s lucky as the Fiesta’s socket is live all the time and allows power to flow both ways. The unit is made by Ring and they do a obd2 adapter for the solar panel. You would plug this into the Evoque’s obd2 port under the dash when you park up and leave the panel on the dash.
Dad’s had his over a year now with no issues.

·
Registered
426 Posts
I don't have a driveway/garage for this car so cannot trickle charge it or use the smart charger

Does this involve connecting it to the battery each time? Is it even safe, as the risk that the car could catch fire is daily and the owner would not even know if it were to happen and insurance will not pay out.

Also, How many batteries does the evoque actually have? Which battery is the one playing up, as I saw a video where they said a battery costs £500 from Halfrauds:unsure:
Don't panic Mr Mainwaring !

I've had a solar charger connected up to my other car continuously for about 2 years now. It has worked perfectly and kept the battery charged during lockdowns. The chances of it catching fire are practically nil.

As alluded to above, you can connect one either to the OBD socket, or a permanent live cigarette lighter socket (but your Evoque may not have this) or you could wire it directly to the main battery or directly to the fusebox. By the sounds of it, the easiest for you would be the OBD socket.

You can get a decent battery for £120 e.g Tayna batteries. I think yours will only have one battery, like mine (i.e. no auxiliary battery)

·
Registered
93 Posts
Don't panic Mr Mainwaring !

I've had a solar charger connected up to my other car continuously for about 2 years now. It has worked perfectly and kept the battery charged during lockdowns. The chances of it catching fire are practically nil.

As alluded to above, you can connect one either to the OBD socket, or a permanent live cigarette lighter socket (but your Evoque may not have this) or you could wire it directly to the main battery or directly to the fusebox. By the sounds of it, the easiest for you would be the OBD socket.

You can get a decent battery for £120 e.g Tayna batteries. I think yours will only have one battery, like mine (i.e. no auxiliary battery)
Is it better to just buy a new battery? As the new battery in my previous car lasted 3 years and still going strong 14.1v no issues what so ever.

Also, should I be concerned about the stealer lieing about putting a new battery in?

·
Registered
426 Posts
You should be able to tell if the battery is new just by looking if it is only one month since they (allegedly) changed it. I think some have the manufacture date stamped into the negative terminal.
I'd try fully charging it before buying another battery. What is the voltage at the battery with the engine off and on ?

·
Registered
93 Posts
You should be able to tell if the battery is new just by looking if it is only one month since they (allegedly) changed it. I think some have the manufacture date stamped into the negative terminal.
I'd try fully charging it before buying another battery. What is the voltage at the battery with the engine off and on ?
Thanks, I've checked the battery under the hood. It's a white battery. It looks clean, but so did everything underneath the bonnet. No room to look at the sides of it I would have to take the battery out and not looking to do that just yet . Hmm.

Voltage, is there a way to check this from the dashboard, my previous car could do that?

·
Registered
39 Posts
My classic car has a voltmeter on the dash, and very handy it is to.
The Evoque doesn’t at least not on our 2013. You can measure the voltage by picking up a cheap multimeter at Halfrauds or a diy shop. Another option is picking up a good OBD2 scan tool by someone like icarsoft. Certain models of scan tool have an option to read the battery voltage.

·
Registered
3 Posts
I got fed up to the back teeth of the low battery warning; I don’t use the car every day, sometimes not for over a week. I bought the ‘proper’ JLR battery conditioner as it came with a ‘special’ socket under the bonnet, but it’s just a rebranded C-TEK charger. However I managed to buy my JLR one off eBay at an incredibly low price so ...

I keep the car on trickle charge whenever it’s not being used and haven’t had a battery issue since.
Almost certainly you have a sulphated battery ... I had this problem on my January 2019 Evoque SD4 when it was just 11 months old ... and I am a retired management automotive engineer ...and Service Manager at LR! My first Evoque ( 2016 model) also suffered similar problems ,... the dealer replaced the battery and all was well ( under warranty) ! However this time they deny a problem and refuse to do anything saying that its my fault as I don't use it often enough ! Now I admit I never considered sulfation ... after all it was a brand new car ..BUT look at the date stamp on the battery ... its on the top of the earth post ...mine says 2017 ... on a 2019 registered car ( 2018 model)! Get a smart charger that diagnoses ... IF its sulfated you can try a desulfation process though whilst it seems to improve the battery ... it doesn't last ! Get a new battery which is what I am about to do EVEN as my car is STILL under warranty! I suspect these batteries are sat unused for a year or more and anything other than a full charge causes sulfation , before being delivered to the production line ...JLR need to recognise a problem!

·
Registered
3 Posts
Sorry that's not what I said!
The batteries used for Stop/Start technology, be it EFB (Enhanced Flooded Battery) or the better AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries are built specifically for Stop/Start.

What they don't like is a jump start!

Battery technology has improved over that last few years, as now your battery will last for at least 5 years, sometimes a lot longer.
Compare that to 10 years ago and most batteries had a predicted lifespan of 3 -5 years.
BUT you do have to look after it. If you don't use the car for a week say, then do trickle charge it with an approved charger.
You only have to open a door to hear a load of whiring noises coming from under the bonnet, which goes on for seemingly ages, all using battery capacity.

By the way DON'T do a battery 'Recond' on one of these batteries as it will kill it!

Next thing is that Stop/Start DOES save fuel and just as importantly it reduces CO2 and particulate emissions!
An engine not running isn't using fuel!
So sorry Colin your assertion is factually wrong!
As for putting wear and tear on components, just go down to your local motor factors and ask if there has been a run on starter motors for Stop/Start cars.
Cars built for Stop/Start have components built for that purpose.

As for emissions several local authorities are going down the route that if you don't turn your car's engine off when stationary you will pay a fine!
Air pollution isn't a joke, it is REAL.

You shouldn't be asking 'Why should I turn my engine off?' It should be 'Why SHOULDN'T I turn my engine off.'
For that there are very few, if any, reasons not to.
It is as simple as that!

Best

Ian
As a highly qualified Management Automotive Engineer ( LR) and retired now Service Manager ...I disagree ! Stop /start is political stunt to attempt to mug people into believing the scam ... stop / start actually uses MORE fuel and destroys the starter system ( try getting warranty to pay ... I have had it refused) ... and your assertions are wrong ! Stop rabbiting on about air pollution and talk about what might ACTUALLY be around us that harms ... try Glyphosate ,or Mercury etc ... its even in our food and drink and in our teeth! The battery issue first, if you look at the date stamp on your battery ( top of earth post )... its probably considerably older than your car ...and driving a car does not CHARGE the battery ... it simply keeps a battery topped up ...you need a proper smart charger which it is the case that dealers do not even have ( and I should Know)! Its called Sulfate and its what happens when a battery is not kept FULLY charged ...a trickle charger won't do it ad neither wll jump starting and then driving the vehicle ! With Sufation the damage is done and the battery is scrap!

·
Registered
3 Posts
There is one other aspect to this ... there are points in even your home drive where certain radio waves created ( 4G /5G etc) ...even EMF ( EMR) from your electricity box ( get a Gauss meter ) will prevent the car from entering sleep mode ( often happens in airport car parks as others come back to their cars and wake up yours ....it won't unlock yours but does wake it up) ! Now likely if you use the car every day and do long distances you won't notice ..however that battery is now not fully charged and will begin to sulfate reducing its charge holding and drastically shortening its life ! So many untruths out there ... a trickle charger does NOT do it ... you need a full smart charger! Try NOT to park your car anywhere near a white electric box at least not for long .. it won't sleep!

41 - 57 of 57 Posts