Evoque Owners Club banner
21 - 40 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
585 Posts
Marmite
Most don't hate it!
There was a survey in 2013 that said 60% liked it 28% disliked it and the rest didn't care!
Bang up to date in 2019 that figure has risen to 62% who like it!

On to Stop/Start.

John Cadogan's videos are well made and full of 'interesting' facts. There is no real science behind them.
They are thought provoking, which I do believe is the whole point of them.

At the F1 test in Spain earlier this year I had a chat with a couple of the F1 teams super truckies who also believe that an engine should be let to idle after a run.
We were joined by the Castrol oil engineer from Renault, a very pleasant and highly knowledgable chap. His job is to test the oil samples from the Renault F1 turbo engines for any problems. He can detect the minutest particle of metal in the oil. Any thing that shows up in a quantity over and above the acceptable limits is not good news!
He and I met at the Castrol research establishment at Pangbourne many years ago when I was making a promotional video about marine oils.
One of the tests they perform on any engine, car, truck and even enormous marine engines is to starve the engine of oil and see how long it lasts!!
I watched this happen to a Saab turbo engine. The amazing thing was it ran at full bore for over an hour and was then stopped, stripped down and examined.
That engine could and was re rebuilt and run on another test. The limiting factor is not wear but heat build up.
It is a myth nowadays that lack of oil will wreck the engine, it will overheat first!

So much to the super truckies disbelief, it isn't necessary to 'run down' a turbo with modern oils.
Modern oils have amazing properties one of which is 'sticksion' the ability of oil to stick to bore walls and bearings.

To prove this point on a practical level I have an ex MoD Land Rover that I put a turbo engine in.
Unbeknown to me the banjo bolt that is used to secure the oil feed pipe to the turbo was manufactured with a slight fault, there was no hole to let the oil through!
I and my mate never thought of checking it as it came out of a sealed plastic bag from the motor factors.

That engine ran for 2000 kms before a strange noise became evident when going up hill.
From the noise made I thought it was a clutch release bearing going but no it was the turbo bearings giving out!
That engine managed 2000kms of running before the turbo bearings gave up and as we all know turbos run quite hot!

So respect to Garrett for making a bloody tough turbo and a smidgen of a rather ordinary 10W-40 oil that was poured into the hole where the oil feed pipe banjo bolt went before the faulty banjo bolt went in.

So back to Stop/Start, it won't hurt your engine!
I'm not sure the truck drivers will change their habits which after all were born from 'good practice', but technology has improved so maybe they should change their habits.
In any case, how many sets of traffic lights are there on motorways where you will be going along at 70 mph and have to stop? Chances are if is the M25 you will never get to go over 50!
Even coming off a motorway, up the slip road, the engine is 'spooling down' naturally to the junction that you might have to stop at.
10 - 20 seconds probably is enough, certainly with modern high grade oils in the car's engine.

Stop/Start is here to stay, the ultimate Stop/Start has to be the EV (Electric Vehicle)!

Best

Ian

Reactions: SamSegar and XZ4

·
Registered
189 Posts
...John Cadogan's videos are well made and full of 'interesting' facts. There is no real science behind them.
They are thought provoking, which I do believe is the whole point of them....
I agree. John Cadogan has interesting things to say about engineering but I don't share all his strong opinions (which he tends to state as though they're facts). As far as science is concerned, he's not a scientist but he does have many years of engineering experience so I tend to respect his knowledge.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Discussion is always a good way to learn things.
Listen/watch, then read and research and then decide.
I never mind being proved incorrect/wrong as it means I have learnt something!!

Best

Ian

Reactions: SamSegar

·
Super Moderator
9,653 Posts
Discussion is always a good way to learn things.
Listen/watch, then read and research and then decide.
I never mind being proved incorrect/wrong as it means I have learnt something!!

Best

Ian
Watch and shoot I was taught :devil:

·
Super Moderator
9,653 Posts
Reactions: SamSegar and XZ4

·
Registered
4,202 Posts
I thought the reason you kept the engine running for a few mins after a long run was to allow the turbo to cool down (which is propelled by the exhaust!) so that the oil in the turbo bearings didn't 'burn' and degrade leaving deposits in the bearings eventually leading to turbo bearing failure.
Perhaps I am wrong in this understanding then???

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,829 Posts
I thought the reason you kept the engine running for a few mins after a long run was to allow the turbo to cool down (which is propelled by the exhaust!) so that the oil in the turbo bearings didn't 'burn' and degrade leaving deposits in the bearings eventually leading to turbo bearing failure.
Perhaps I am wrong in this understanding then???
I think you're right CB but oil has improved a lot since the early days of turbos meaning there's no need to let the turbo cool down now.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
3,088 Posts
"...oil has improved a lot" - How about those running with diesel diluted oil?

I never turn turn off immediately (especially after a long run). A turbo rotating at perhaps 150,000RPM deserves a minute to slow/cool down...

I guess stop/start gets away with it (mostly) as it's in use predominately when people are in slow traffic and the turbo isn't working hard. But people have turbo failures for whatever reason so I always give things a minute.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,829 Posts
Oil has improved a huge amount Hmmm. The oil degradation is a totally seperate matter and not any fault of the oil companies.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
3,088 Posts
I'm not saying it is the fault of the oil companies. We were discussing the merits of giving the turbo a minute to slow/cool.
What I am saying is some Evoques will be running with oil diluted with up to 10% of diesel (those with Ingenium dilution issues) - which can't do bearings and other components any favours...

·
Registered
33 Posts
I've just had my first '3 minute' battery warning. The car is nearly 2 years old and has done 12,000 miles. It was parked at an airport for the last 3 weeks but my journey home from the airport was 120 miles of motorway. It was OK on the way home and on the next day but today I made a short journey and got the warning message when I stopped the engine on my return home.

It doesn't make much sense to me. Any ideas please?

·
Registered
585 Posts
I've just had my first '3 minute' battery warning. The car is nearly 2 years old and has done 12,000 miles. It was parked at an airport for the last 3 weeks but my journey home from the airport was 120 miles of motorway. It was OK on the way home and on the next day but today I made a short journey and got the warning message when I stopped the engine on my return home.

It doesn't make much sense to me. Any ideas please?
Modern batteries and their charging is a complex affair.

Believe it or not an alternator doesn't 'fully' charge a battery even after 120 miles!

Unless you only have on street parking, I would buy a CTEK charger.
And charge the battery overnight to get it up to full charge status.
It is a good idea if not using the car for a few days to pop it on charge overnight, as the electronics in the car are working all the time, you only have to listen to the car when you turn it off to hear multiple motors etc. running, never mind the headlights staying on so you can see the front door!

DON'T use the Recondition cycle on some chargers as they will wreck your AGM (Absorbent Glass Mat) battery used for Stop/Start.
Read what Varta have to say: https://www.varta-automotive.com/en-gb/technology/agm-battery-technology

https://www.ctek.com/products/vehicle/ct5-start-stop

They make the one that Landrover sell as accessory by the way.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/ sell them of course!

Best

Ian

·
Registered
33 Posts
Many thanks Ian.

This leaves me a little worried about getting back to the airport and not being able to start the car. Is there anything I can do to prevent that happening?

·
Registered
1,639 Posts
Have LR assist on speed dial

·
Registered
1,915 Posts

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Another couple of DANGEROUS points about start stop tech which is always mentioned during this subject, and just another reason I never use it.....

1....Stopped at lights or junction with engine off, causes a slight delay in starting up again, and those delays can be the difference between life and death, if someone is bearing down on you and you want to get out the way in time.

2...Accidental operation of start stop tech in the middle of a junction, which can and does happen often if you forget about start stop in the background till it just suddenly cuts your engine off at the most dangerous location. I personally when as a pedestrian walking by a junction see and hear this very often, and the driver is panicking to get the engine on and get out of there. It is not just embarrassment situation it can also be a killer situation.

How many injuries and deaths have occured by the above I do not know as there does not seem or want to be any records of deaths or injury by start stop, but I bet it happens. To me it is just crazy allowing an engine to control itself, and decide if it should cut out on you.

Reactions: rawpilot

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
426 Posts
I agree Colin. If they (whoever "they" are ?) insist on stop/start then the start up should be in nanoseconds, like electric cars. Unfortunately I think this may be impossible on IC cars.

·
Super Moderator
2,785 Posts
Lindylam, dont worry too much, just make sure you have breakdown cover, any car left for 3 weeks may not start, a pain, but always a possibility, unless you start having continual issues and warnings then you may need a new battery.

Highly recommend the ctek 5 charger, just used mine on the Evoque for the first time in 8.5 years and still on original battery (and I have start stop), thanks to lockdown, it turned over slowly, but never gave a warning, but the newer models seem to give warnings easily.

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
426 Posts
Is there a solar powered trickle charger that anyone could recommend for a car sitting idle for weeks in a car park, (like Lindylam's) ?

21 - 40 of 57 Posts