Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 57 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My wife acquired in a 66 plate Evoque 2 weeks ago She has only done one longish journey (two trips of around 120 miles) in it since and the rest of the time it is in a garage. Today when she came to start it, it gave the waning 'Low Battery - Please start the engine". The car starts Ok but the powered tailgate will not open. Is this normal or a indication of a poor battery?

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
3,088 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum.
Your battery might just need a good charge (via a charger). Perhaps it has been sitting around losing charge for a while before you bought it? But you would think a 120 mile journey would have been enough. As you might not know the history, I would just try a full charge before doing anything else.

Reactions: Veteran

·
Registered
1,776 Posts
I got fed up to the back teeth of the low battery warning; I don’t use the car every day, sometimes not for over a week. I bought the ‘proper’ JLR battery conditioner as it came with a ‘special’ socket under the bonnet, but it’s just a rebranded C-TEK charger. However I managed to buy my JLR one off eBay at an incredibly low price so ...

I keep the car on trickle charge whenever it’s not being used and haven’t had a battery issue since.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,829 Posts
Hi and welcome. The powered tailgate will not open if the battery doesn't have a really good charge so I suspect that's the problem. I always double locked mine as I heard it shuts more systems down although I never had proof of this.

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Thanks to everyone for the quick replies. She took it out and drove around for about 30 minutes and that seems to have fixed it. As HmmmK says I suspect it had been sitting on the forecourt for a while and needs a good charge. Probably also look at getting a trickle charger to avoid the problem again as Trapdoor suggests.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Hi NigelT,

I had the low battery warning on my first Evoque pure tech (5 years or so back now), a 12 plate. I bought the car at 18 months old and it turned out after about four months I needed a new battery - eye waveringly expensive they are too. However, after some conversations with my local dealer they advised and fitted me an easy connect for a CTEK battery conditioner and I used it on the car when it stood idle for any length of time. This worked magic and kept the new battery in tip top condition. I'd recommend that you have your battery checked out for its efficiency and then do something similar.

I'm now on my second Evoque as of a month ago, a gorgeous 19 plate hse dynamic and this time I am not waiting for a low battery warning, but getting a LR conditioner fitted next week. Sometimes, I do lots of short journeys which don't charge the battery properly and so I see having a battery conditioner as an essential item - especially because the LR uses so much battery power before the engine is even started.

Good luck sorting your battery issue out.

·
Registered
585 Posts
The 'low battery' warning is because batteries used for Stop/Start technology don't like being jump started. It kills them!
So dear old JLR have decided to give you plenty of warning that the battery is getting a bit low.
Normally a good run, 50 miles or so will charge it up again, 20 miles isn't enough, that's for sure, so a trip to the supermarket isn't going to help.
Answer a trickle charger as already said on the other post.

Best

Ian

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Agree with Ian above, that low battery warning is likely due to the dreaded start stop tech giving the battery a battering, as well as causing long term engine wear, hence switch start stop off every journey like I did. There is very little or no fuel advantage at all with start stop tech.

Also on higher spec cars, you get a lot of electronic items still running at reduced power in the background with engine off, and is called 'parasitic drain', so many on here have had to use an overnight charger to top up the battery. OK, if you are close to an electrical socket, like in your garage, if you have one.

Best to have a car with as little fancy extra electronics as possible, and then it will have little 'parasitic drain'. For instance my Evoque had no extras, and no electric tailgate, and so had no problems with the battery over the years, and no low battery warning.

Years ago all you had running after engine off, was a car clock :grin:

Reactions: Pandrews68

·
Registered
585 Posts
Hi and welcome. The powered tailgate will not open if the battery doesn't have a really good charge so I suspect that's the problem. I always double locked mine as I heard it shuts more systems down although I never had proof of this.
Not too sure about that as the double press on the fob brings the interior parametric alarm into play, so another drain on that poor battery!
These cars 'go to sleep' but always have something running in the background because as you will have noticed that you only have to touch the door handle and it unlocks!
The only true way is as Trapdoor says, have a trickle charger plugged in whenever it isn't being used, OK if it in the garage or driveway, but a lot harder if left on the road outside the house. What am I thinking off ALL Evoque owners have at least a half mile drive to get to the house! And if one weed is spotted George the Gardner gets a right rollocking!

Ian

·
Super Moderator
9,653 Posts
Not too sure about that as the double press on the fob brings the interior parametric alarm into play, so another drain on that poor battery!
These cars 'go to sleep' but always have something running in the background because as you will have noticed that you only have to touch the door handle and it unlocks!
The only true way is as Trapdoor says, have a trickle charger plugged in whenever it isn't being used, OK if it in the garage or driveway, but a lot harder if left on the road outside the house. What am I thinking off ALL Evoque owners have at least a half mile drive to get to the house! And if one weed is spotted George the Gardner gets a right rollocking!

Ian
:grin::grin:

mines on the drive but no power socket out there. I even turn my outside tap off from indoors when not being used, I’m on a water meter, don’t want some little t#rd walking up and turning it on overnight!

·
Registered
585 Posts
Agree with Ian above, that low battery warning is likely due to the dreaded start stop tech giving the battery a battering, as well as causing long term engine wear, hence switch start stop off every journey like I did. There is very little or no fuel advantage at all with start stop tech.

Also on higher spec cars, you get a lot of electronic items still running at reduced power in the background with engine off, and is called 'parasitic drain', so many on here have had to use an overnight charger to top up the battery. OK, if you are close to an electrical socket, like in your garage, if you have one.

Best to have a car with as little fancy extra electronics as possible, and then it will have little 'parasitic drain'. For instance my Evoque had no extras, and no electric tailgate, and so had no problems with the battery over the years, and no low battery warning.

Years ago all you had running after engine off, was a car clock :grin:
Sorry that's not what I said!
The batteries used for Stop/Start technology, be it EFB (Enhanced Flooded Battery) or the better AGM (Absorbed Glass Mat) batteries are built specifically for Stop/Start.

What they don't like is a jump start!

Battery technology has improved over that last few years, as now your battery will last for at least 5 years, sometimes a lot longer.
Compare that to 10 years ago and most batteries had a predicted lifespan of 3 -5 years.
BUT you do have to look after it. If you don't use the car for a week say, then do trickle charge it with an approved charger.
You only have to open a door to hear a load of whiring noises coming from under the bonnet, which goes on for seemingly ages, all using battery capacity.

By the way DON'T do a battery 'Recond' on one of these batteries as it will kill it!

Next thing is that Stop/Start DOES save fuel and just as importantly it reduces CO2 and particulate emissions!
An engine not running isn't using fuel!
So sorry Colin your assertion is factually wrong!
As for putting wear and tear on components, just go down to your local motor factors and ask if there has been a run on starter motors for Stop/Start cars.
Cars built for Stop/Start have components built for that purpose.

As for emissions several local authorities are going down the route that if you don't turn your car's engine off when stationary you will pay a fine!
Air pollution isn't a joke, it is REAL.

You shouldn't be asking 'Why should I turn my engine off?' It should be 'Why SHOULDN'T I turn my engine off.'
For that there are very few, if any, reasons not to.
It is as simple as that!

Best

Ian

Reactions: CoolBlueWhyte

·
Registered
1,915 Posts
Next thing is that Stop/Start DOES save fuel and just as importantly it reduces CO2 and particulate emissions!
An engine not running isn't using fuel!
So sorry Colin your assertion is factually wrong!
As for putting wear and tear on components, just go down to your local motor factors and ask if there has been a run on starter motors for Stop/Start cars.
Cars built for Stop/Start have components built for that purpose.
sorry but, Agree to totally disagree on that, start stop is tripe, as many drivers say. Fuel saving next to nothing, disadvantages of so called heavy duty batteries are failing as start stop is a killer to them, and they can be finished by year two, wear on the engine, and the danger of having a car stationary at a junction with no engine on, gives you less time to get out of danger.

Start stop is a marmite subject, Most hate it, some like it.

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
2,325 Posts
You shouldn't be asking 'Why should I turn my engine off?' It should be 'Why SHOULDN'T I turn my engine off.'
For that there are very few, if any, reasons not to.
It is as simple as that!
Well said Ian, I completely agree with everything you said.

People may choose from disliking the principal of stop start and I am sure there are genuine instances when it should be switched off.

I’m 70,000 miles in, 6 years old, with the original battery and starter.
It only annoys me if it doesn’t switch off the engine when sitting at the traffic lights.

:)

Reactions: Veteran and XZ4

·
Registered
108 Posts
I rather think one's perception of Stop/Start depends on what car you have experienced it. I have a Jag XE at present (auto/petrol) and am waiting for a new Havoque p250 auto. I also have a manual MG3 with S/S. The S/S on the XE is awful, and rarely works; when it does it seems more intrusive than the MG3's system, which works perfectly, with no ifs and buts. (Incidentally, the MG's S/S starts the engine anyway after 30 seconds.) The Jaguar's system is intended not to work in various circumstances, and most of the time it seems to decide not to.

However, I seriously doubt whether S/S saves anything - each time the starter takes a chunk of power from the battery, the engine has to replace it, and like others, I do worry about constantly stopping and starting the engine's oil pump, and consequent extra wear to bores, bearings, etc. S/S just might reduce pollution in city centre queues, but I bet even that is pretty debatable.

Three years' experience of the Jag's system indicates that battery voltage has little or nothing to do with the S/S not working - before anybody trots out that old chesnut, unless a car does happen to have a duff battery.

I wish the default with Stop/Start was "OFF"!

·
Registered
2,454 Posts
I'm not a fan of s/s for the reasons already stated. The main thing that concerns me is the possible effect on the turbocharger. It used to be said don't switch off the engine straight away when you stop, especially if the car has been driven hard.
I try to adhere to this. Not too worried about the Velar as it's under warranty but as soon as we hit traffic in the wifes Merc the s/s is switched off ( any damage is out of my pocket ?)

·
Registered
189 Posts
Another view of stop/start technology:

If you can't be bothered watching, here's the summary: It's pointless in terms of fuel economy but it has little or no effect on engine, starter or battery life/reliability.

·
Super Moderator
9,653 Posts
When I pull up the engine stops. Reverse onto the drive and stop it doesn’t :surprise:

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
When I pull up the engine stops. Reverse onto the drive and stop it doesn’t :surprise:
That’s funny, mine always stops when I reverse on to the drive.
I just flick on the handbrake and when I open the door the car shuts down.
It’s a great feature!

·
Registered
2,325 Posts
Another view of stop/start technology: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k159M8QhCIE

If you can't be bothered watching, here's the summary: It's pointless in terms of fuel economy but it has little or no effect on engine, starter or battery life/reliability.
That is an interesting and a great vid thank you Sam.

The funny thing is that his negative BS review of stop/start was actually quite positive.

Even the bit where he says there is no fuel saving, he goes on to say that there is an incremental increase in MPG because the engine was off for half of the urban mpg cycle test while stationary.
He missed the fact that this is the whole point of stop/start to switch off the engine when you are not using it!

I liked him, it made me smile, cheers Sam

Reactions: SamSegar
1 - 20 of 57 Posts