Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hello everybody, I’ve been a long time reader of the various helpful posts on here and impressed by the community knowledge that has often got me out of trouble when looking for Evoque ‘fixes’. Long time owner of the Range Rover Sport and lost my platinum business during the lockdown which resulted in me buying some Evoques and enjoying tastefully improving the styling for people that wished to buy from me. (I’ll try post some pics but not very tech savvy) Still a hobby now as they’re so easy to work on but I’ve hit a problem I’ve not seen before and hopefully someone can guide me in the right direction. 2012 Dynamic Lux has a battery drain somewhere, I’ve put two new correct AGM batteries on now and each time it discharges overnight and actually kills the battery permanently and can’t be re-used..previous owner stated the overhead door open light would randomly come on while driving and an auto electrician also noticed a rear light stays on when locking the car (if I have power) ..the hazard button also seems to stay on inside the car for a while suggesting to me the ‘Bus’ system isn’t fully shutting down everything on there but I can’t work out why ..I always double lock as Ivecread that completes a shutdown but I can’t keep buying batteries at £150. Previous owner also had a door lock changed recently however I’ve fitted many of these myself and can’t see where that would be causing a parasitic drain. Can anyone help solve this one ? Best wishes and good health always Nick
Car Wheel Tire Vehicle Automotive tire

Tire Wheel Car Vehicle Vehicle registration plate

Wheel Tire Vehicle registration plate Car Vehicle

Tire Wheel Land vehicle Car Vehicle

·
Registered
2017 SE Tech Auto Yulong White Black Pack Few Subtle Mods
1,578 Posts
Hi and welcome to the forum now you've joined nice selection of Evoques my preference are the coupe's but I'm biased especially the white 😊

Reactions: Binty

·
Premium Member
P300E MY22 Autobiography
8,046 Posts
hi and welcome .. bit biased towards the red ;)

·
Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
1,199 Posts
Welcome, black is best 😁😁😁😁

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thank you for the warm welcome everyone and the nice feedback on my efforts. It’s a good hobby and helps with the mental health to have something to focus on but I must say this latest battery drain issue is a little more on the stressful side but I’m sure there’s a solution eventually

·
Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
1,199 Posts
Hi @Nick C,
I have had a look at my 2013 model and done a bit of reading I don't know if this helps or if you have already tried this but here goes. My car has no electrical problems so should be a decent comparator.
My car takes three button presses to fully lock and beep once, you hear a second lock on press two, but only press three creates the beep.
The hazard light illumination stays on for 30 mins after locking, I have just timed it, that ties in with other 30 min settings on the car like light illumination after a crash.
The ambient lighting can be switched off on the infotainment panel, 'extra features'
The interior lighting can be toggled between on, (works with doors), and permanently off, hold your hand infront of the centre console lamp until it flashes, this takes 3 to 5 seconds. Repeating it turns them on again.
The rear lights can also be switched between permanently on, permanently off and working with the doors using the three position switch on them.
I would switch everything off as a first stage.
Finally the interior lighting is controlled by the central junction box, which receives its signals from the four door modules, so not inconceivable that it is related to the changed door lock as I think the lock has the door open sensor incorporated.
Hope this is of use.

·
Registered
2013 L538 2.2 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
2,698 Posts
Welcome to the EOC, great selection of Evoque!
Where do you sell them on? How many have you flipped?
During COVID my Evoque sat unused for 3 weeks plus and started with no probs.
Binty has some good suggestions, I can’t do better :)

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Good evening thank you to Binty for offering up quite a few things for me to try, very useful and hopefully easier as a process of elimination to find the drain issue, I’ll repost once found to help anyone else out. CoolblueWhyte thank you too. I tend to advertise them on eBay really sometimes auto trader but they’re a little pricey at £80 to advertise on there. My 75year old dad is involved in the selling as it keeps him busy bless him and he loves the whole process. I’ve had maybe 15 in the last 2and a half years and find on the whole if I buy a well looked after one with good servicing I don’t really have any issues other than replacing door locks or the motors inside them which are £1 rather than the dealers costs which are I'm told in excess of £400 but that could be inaccurate

·
Registered
5,542 Posts
Welcome 🖖🏻 there are some very tasty looking cars there 👀 my favourite would be the red coupe- no surprise there then 😁
@Binty seems to have given quite a comprehensive list there, and my technical knowledge is even worse than your average JLR dealer, my only other suggestion would be a dead earth somewhere causing a battery drain, but I don’t have a clue how you could go about finding that.
I assume there are no faults showing in car & no codes coming up on OBD 🤔
Good luck hunting the cause & very interested to find out what it turns out to be.
One other thing, there are often new members (or even old ones) on here on the look out for an Evoque, so it might be an idea to stick them on here in the for sale section first, Free sales 😃

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
4,064 Posts
If you need more ideas for troubleshooting the battery drain then this search shows lots:

My favourite is the faulty warm relay, number 2 in the list.

·
Registered
5 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Afternoon all, more great information offered up by HmmmUK and DKZ5745. I don’t do any social media as I’m quite a private person but I’m definitely seeing the value in this community on here and hopefully I can pay it forward by helping someone else out with an issue they’re having ..have a good day 👍🏼

·
Registered
1,993 Posts
My Uncle used to have a car with drastic parasitic drain overnight, they could not find where this electrical load was, so he fitted a kill switch (isolator) to the 12V battery under the bonnet, and thus switched off the battery until he was ready to drive again.

It only affected his 12V clock in the dash with the supply being off. Not sure what has to be kept running in modern cars though, if anything.

·
Registered
L551 MY2020 D180 HSE
398 Posts
The alarm!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts