Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 46 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, newbie here!

I've got a 2016 RR Evoque HSE Dynamic with a leak. It gets wet and drips all in the headlining and down the strut. In the time I waited for an appointment at my dealer (Guy Salmon, Northampton) it got worse and spread from just above the driver sun visor all along across the electrics in the middle and to above the passenger side.

Dealer looked at it on Friday and said its the windscreen seal so they need to pop out the windscreen, replace the seal and then put it back in again and for that it will cost £150 + VAT.

However.... they said that if in the process of getting it out the windscreen breaks or is damaged, I am liable for it and have to pay £800 ish for a new one....!!!!

(The car is no longer under warranty, it ran out in Februrary)

I think this is unacceptable. If I took my vehicle in for a service and they scratched it they are liable for the damage so how is this any different??

What's your views please?

Thanks!

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
In addition to this, just to add; i've owned the vehicle from new, never had a windscreen replaced. I'm p'd off that its leaking in the first place cause the car is only 3.5 yrs old. It shouldn't happen.

·
Super Moderator
2,437 Posts
You're not the first with a leak, its unfortunate, but some dealers will play the warranty has expired with no help whatsoever, others may help with the cost or reduce the labour.

Sounds like you need a good stonechip in the drivers view... then claim on your glass policy!

Reactions: Bazz and Maffy

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
I did think of that [MENTION=140]philSkill but when they replace the glass, would they do the whole seal/frame?

·
Super Moderator
2,437 Posts
Normally Glass is bonded into the Recess with Silicon/black glue, they run a silicon bead all the way round, then press the glass into it, the new glass usually has a new rubber seal too.

Might scare you silly but watch this...

·
Registered
2,350 Posts
It must be a strong bond as I was told that it forms part of the integral body strength.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Just had a call from dealership and what a shocker the windscreen broke when they removed it.... so they've replaced it and are charging me the full cost.....

Email composed and poised to send to LR customer services tonight..... a leaking windscreen in a vehicle that is only 3.5 years old is completely unacceptable!! And to charge me when they broke the screen is also unacceptable! :mad:

·
Registered
7,267 Posts
Just had a call from dealership and what a shocker the windscreen broke when they removed it.... so they've replaced it and are charging me the full cost.....

Email composed and poised to send to LR customer services tonight..... a leaking windscreen in a vehicle that is only 3.5 years old is completely unacceptable!! And to charge me when they broke the screen is also unacceptable! :mad:
If they broke it then their insurance is liable not you surely (not Shirley!)

Reactions: Maffy

·
Registered
20 Posts
Interesting. I my evoque is 4 hears old on 18 December and I also have a water leak. In my case it is at the centre top of the screen. Looks like a common problem with the bonding at the time. I'm not going with the dealer as I have heard this story before and hopefully the fitter will successfully manage to redo the fitting without damage.
regards
(Post Bonded windscreen fitting)
Mike

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
In the same boat here too mine has a small leak.. taggarts told me not covered under warranty, however other half has had discussion with landrover complaints they gave him case number call back tomorrow... it’s in for Mot tomorrow so should be fun and games, can’t believe these cars leak ... above and beyond my arse... other half pointed out that if media system gets wet then would that be covered?
How much does it cost for windscreen if you have to pay... if this doesn’t get fixed will go down the insurance route?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Mine goes in to Autoglass at Borehamwood tomorrow to have a removal and replacement ( with a bit of luck). I will be taking a small camera in and asking them to take a photo if there are any areas of corrosion of the metal round the screen. Landrover guarantee no corrosion for 6 years, so if there is any then the leak and subsequent work is down to them.

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi,
Autoglass successfully removed, replaced and rebonded my windscreen today. They also showed me the problem area, whch was most of the top of the windscreen where the etching primer had failed to fully bond to the glass. From my poiint of view, I was lucky in that my total cost of replacement was £200, I'm not sure that would have been the total cost from my local dealer. Morte good news, no corrosion around the vehicle in the windscreen area after 4 years,
Regards
Mike

·
Registered
350 Posts
That’s a manufacturing defect - which happened in the factory and makes it not fit for purpose so JLR would be liable. If you have pictures and a statement it could be a straightforward small claims victory if the dealer didn’t just pay up beforehand (assuming you bought new).

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Other half just off phone to JLR complaints ... the dealership want to send to authorised body shop for inspection... but asked JLR who was paying for inspection? Other half just told them it’s gone on long enough either you arrange today for it to be fixed or we will have it done ourselves and then present bill to ombudsman or through small claims court , he said he can provide evidence it’s a known fault as it’s talked about on here and other forums ... so You need to tell me now how do we proceed from here on in.. silence please wait a moment... came back on line and said he would ring the dealership and tell them they would cover cost of inspection and get them to arrange it.... he also mentioned I want a curtesy car! Awaiting call

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
11,645 Posts
Moved this for you Donna ---

JLR just said they would pay for the inspection of leaking roof .... and look at costs involved so anything’s possible!!!

Reactions: Veteran

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Veteran... screenshot... lol the only thing you can shoot is a musket ?????

·
Registered
8,475 Posts
Mines going in for inspection on Monday , other half spoke to gut at body shop seems he thinks he knows what it is anyway ...JLR covering cost of inspection ?

·
Registered
11,222 Posts
Why would he speak to his Gut at the body shop? what are you feeding him Donna?

Reactions: XZ4
1 - 20 of 46 Posts