Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Just a thought here - my tyres are all due for replacement and wondered if a larger size than the standard 245/45/R20 is possible.
The reason I ask is that my old Cayenne benefited from going from 265/40/R20 to 265/45/R20. The ride quality was vastly improved with less road noise too - not much speedo change either.
Had anyone tried going up a profile size or maybe a wider size like the Atturo AZ=800 255/45 R20 105V XL which are very popular among the Porsche drivers.

·
Super Moderator
10,803 Posts

·
Registered
119 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Exactly Col - Mrs R can sometimes be a little .... erm, [diplomatic mode] 'unsure' of where the kerbs are despite the 360 camera :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
I got the 255/45/R20 tyres fitted yesterday (last customer before the company closed down :cry: ) and I immediately noticed a huge difference in ride quality and road noise. That little bit of extra rubber makes all the difference and even Mrs R noticed :p

·
Super Moderator
2,365 Posts
Some pics would be good too!

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
What make of tyres did you go for?
How is the accuracy of your speedo in real terms now fitted?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
I went for some budget tyres so nothing special - it was a compromise I did with the dealer and I have had these tyres in the past with excellent results. Also got new discs and pads too so all ready for the summer now ........if only I could drive somewhere :cautious:
The speedo accuracy appears to be unchanged but the ride quality is so much better and with the 25mm spacers it makes the car appear a little more chunky :cool:
20200403_164608.jpg 20200403_164633.jpg

·
Registered
9,460 Posts
They look good, when you say budget, what kind of cost are we looking at?

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Not sure of the exact price because the dealer paid for them but I think they were less than £100 per corner. I used to insist on brand names in the past but in recent years I have tried a few of the budget names and have not been disappointed. I only do mostly local miles since I retired so have to watch the pennies - my track-day days are sadly over now :cautious:

·
Registered
1,838 Posts
Unfortunately budget tyres are budget for a reason and they are your only contact with the road.
Just my opinion but a lovely high spec Evoque like your Lux deserves quality tyres.
For me, when buying a car if it has inexpensive tyres I believe this is an indication of the quality of care and maintenance ☹

The Pirelli Scorpions are the best and the cheapest tyres I’ve ever had. I say cheapest as pence per mile they beat any budget tyre hands down (60,000 from front and 75,000 from rear tyres).

Saying all that they do look tidy on your Evoque and I hope you have many safe and happy miles from them 🙂

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter #14 (Edited)
I totally understand the reluctance to stray from well known brands but the days of crappy tyre quality are mostly long gone now. Being an ex biker I have literally painful memories of the first Jap tyres that came on the market in the 70s - we used to call them Teflon tyres as they didn't stick to the road in the wet!
These days every manufacturer has to conform to some sort of safety standard and the tyres I went for were top of the wet grip spec and very low road noise. Being made from a fairly soft compound they might not last quite as long as some of the more well known brands but they are very grippy, give very good value for money and I have personal experience of these, having used them on my Cayenne for 20k miles last year - with over twice the horse power! They still had many miles left on them when I sold the car.
Paying lots of money doesn't necessarily mean you will get quality and I suggest that if you look past the price tag, you might be pleasantly surprised.😉

·
Super Moderator
10,803 Posts
I totally understand the reluctance to stray from well known brands but the days of crappy tyre quality are mostly long gone now. Being an ex biker I have literally painful memories of the first Jap tyres that came on the market in the 70s - we used to call them Teflon tyres as they didn't stick to the road in the wet!
These days every manufacturer has to conform to some sort of safety standard and the tyres I went for were top of the wet grip spec and very low road noise. Being made from a fairly soft compound they might not last quite as long as some of the more well known brands but they are very grippy, give very good value for money and I have personal experience of these, having used them on my Cayenne for 20k miles last year - with over twice the horse power! They still had many miles left on them when I sold the car.
Paying lots of money doesn't necessarily mean you will get quality and I suggest that if you look past the price tag, you might be pleasantly surprised.😉
We called the bike tyres Japlops back in the day. Most were Japanese made Dunlops. First thing you changed if you got a new bike as they were awful in the wet.

·
Registered
189 Posts
I have been used to buying tyres for the RCZ & with the performance I get from that, I have no choice but to buy the best, so it’s Michelin Pilot SP 4 S and you could take a 40 mph bend at 70 with one hand on the wheel. It corners like it’s on rails 👍 so I think I’ll stick with the Scorpions on the REE even though it corners like a motorboat in comparison 😁
81FF8840-92ED-4C93-A50C-6254CEAF86C9.jpeg
9E096D7D-DF9F-4326-A404-30D9111CC7F3.jpeg
81FF8840-92ED-4C93-A50C-6254CEAF86C9.jpeg

·
Registered
132 Posts
Is there an insurance company requirement to fit 'as standard' tyres?
would or could there be any comeback if not, I'm sure that I have heard this mentioned somewhere previously but I'm unsure of the answer.

·
Super Moderator
10,803 Posts
I have been used to buying tyres for the RCZ & with the performance I get from that, I have no choice but to buy the best, so it’s Michelin Pilot SP 4 S and you could take a 40 mph bend at 70 with one hand on the wheel. It corners like it’s on rails 👍 so I think I’ll stick with the Scorpions on the REE even though it corners like a motorboat in comparison 😁 View attachment 4313 View attachment 4312 View attachment 4313
I'm about to put PS4s's on the F Type once this lockdown is over. They get great reviews.

·
Registered
189 Posts
This is the second lot I’ve had on the RCZ. They stick like glue round corners and I get little or no wheel spin under hard acceleration. Grip in the wet is also excellent.
The road noise is reduced compared to the continental’s that were fitted as standard.
As for wear, I do tend to drive it hard, so I don‘t expect the fronts to last as long as the rears, but again, I think they last longer than the original contis.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts