Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 35 Posts

·
Registered
6 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, i havea Pure SD4 Auto n white on order with a number of upgrades already added (tech pack, electric tailgate, panoramic roof, fogs etc) but was wondering if the keyless entry is beneficial (never had it before) and if it is worth the additional £500?

·
Registered
219 Posts
my partners car has it and to be honest i think its a bit of a waste of time. It only saves a 1 second press of the button

·
Registered
40 Posts
I too am wondering wether to go for keyless entry as its part of the Lux pack, it only seems to save you pressing the key fob button as the Evoque is keyless go as standard meaning you can leave the fob in your pocket and just press the start button when you get in.

The only downside I can see (and its a bit ocd) is I like to give the door handle a pull after I lock the car to check its locked and with keyless entry it would open again.

·
Registered
41 Posts
When I was configurating my car I thought the same. It is a uninteresting option. But driving with my evoque for 2 weeks I can shoot myself that I haven't bought it.

In a "normal" car where do you leave your keys? Right! In the ignition. And they are always in the same place. But that part is keyless in the evoque. So where do you leave them now? Every time I get out of the car I'm searching for my keys.

I'll give a few examples to make things clear :)

- in my pocket (every pocket you can imagine),
- in the glovebox,
- in the armrest,
- in the door, or passenger door
- in my jacket (that lies on the back seat)
- in the middle console (with the cover closed so you don,t see it)
- between the seat and the middle console (left it on the seat but while making some corners it has dissapeared between that tiny gap. I don't know if you have teen the space under the seats but you can't reach it. I had to take a magazine at home to get the key out)
- in my notebook bag (but you dont think that you'll ever put them there so first you search the whole car)
- Behind the door handle (impossible to find, especially if you have a dark interiour)
- Behind the brake pedal (key between legs)
etc etc

Really, it is a must have.
If I could configurate my car again is was the first option I'll take. I really don't understand that it isn't standard. I'll even exchange my glass roof + electric tailgate for it! I'm trying to get the keyless entry built in aftermarket right now.

@firenze: you can configurate the evoque that when locking you hear a beep , so no need to check the door handle (and indeed open the car again)

Again: defenately YES!

·
Registered
40 Posts
Thanks Robbey for that insight looks like I will be taking the plunge and adding the Lux pack as I would like the surround cameras and the TV although it I wouldn't of paid for the TV on its own as I dont think it would get used much.

While your waiting to see if you can get the keyless entry maybe you could get a small carabiner or keyring and attach the key fob to your trouser belt ring, that way it can always stay there and you can just press the button to lock and unlock but leave it attached

·
Registered
118 Posts
Keyto realise (sorry for the pun)is that the RRE has keyless go as standard, Keyless Entry is optional. I have both on a Mercedes and to be honest, I don't use it. I think it's a waste of time. Besides, there have been reports here of unreliability. Powered tailgate for me is much more important.

·
Registered
14 Posts
I think keyless entry is worthwhile ... key just stays in handbag ...much easier as I can never find keys in my bag anyway!!

Not using key means you can miss out on puddle lights though - I only realised I had them through mention of them on the forum as the puddle light only works with the key.

·
Registered
77 Posts
I have keyless entry on my RRS and it took me a while to make the most of it but now whenever I use the wife's car or one of the vans (all with normal entry) I always forget that I can't just walk up to the vehicle and open the door! Much time wasted looking for keys!! Get it!!

·
Registered
41 Posts
The powered tailgate is the first option I'll exchange for the keyless entry...
You can only open from the remote, not close and when the car is unlocked and you open the tailgate you'll have to wait untill it's closed before you can lock the car!

·
Registered
40 Posts
The same as the remote fob did, press a button instead of using the key

But when you get used to it you don't want to go back - remember you used to have to turn a handle to open the windows!!

Im sure soon we will have a chip imbedded in us from birth that will replace credit cards, car keys, passports etc..

·
Registered
62 Posts
Hello

Keyless all the way! I have never had it on my cars in the past (never an option) but my other half has it on their car. I am always travelling and have laptop, blackberry, food, drinks in hand when i leave the house and if my car key is not in my mouth, its in my pocket - so everything has to be thrown to the floor in order for me to get the key and open the door!

So, in my SD4 Dynamic Coupe, thats the 1st option i went for, so now the keys can be in the pocket and doors/boot can open without the hassle of trying to balance everything in 1 hand to get to the key.

Simple, yet effective - go for it.

·
Registered
4 Posts
I traded in an Audi for my Evoque and that had proximity entry. My Evoque doesn't have it and I miss it because its so easy just to walk up to the car get in and start up.

Its just one of those things that you don't actually need, but makes a little difference with how cool and spec'd up the machine is and feels.

My Evoque also doesn't have auto dimming mirrors, boy do I miss that! I'd have that over a powered tailgate anyday, I suppose the point is its horses for courses.

·
Registered
71 Posts
So, in theory, with keyless entry would it be possible to:
a) Start the engine

b) Go back into the house to get your phone (or something you had forgotten)

c) Accidentally drop/leave the key in side the house

d) Get back in the car and drive off without the key

e) Find yourself miles from home without the key to restart the engine

·
Registered
40 Posts
I test drove one at the weekend and tested that very thing, I started the engine, got out with the key and started walking away and all that happened was there was a warning on the dash saying that the ignition key was missing - but the engine did not stop!!

So I don't know how far you (or someone else) could get in your nice new car before the engine would cut out.

1 - 20 of 35 Posts