Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
Can I ask the opinion of the experts here?

Looked at MY2015 which is routinely serviced by the main dealers and comes with nearly 18 months remaining JLR used car warranty. It can be transferred to us if we buy the car.

It is a private sale. The only reason I looked at this car is 'JLR used warranty'.

The car seems fine except, I have observed followings:

1- Light vibration when you start the car (is it normal for Evoque?). Not typical or seems related to the engine.

2- Judder when you put the gearbox into reverse but no clunking noise. Car drives fine and no clunks or unnecessary noises. Its Automatic gearbox.

3- Battery is low.

The seller says that the car has been parked for a while and hence battery is low. He states that judder when we select R gear, is normal.

Has anyone had similar issues? Could it be related to the low battery?

From the safety perspective, any issue with the gearbox should be covered under used car JLR warranty?

Thanks.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #2
Anyone with MY2015 auto?

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
11,071 Posts
Sorry, that gearbox judder is a new one on me so can't help. Hopefully someone else can. I'd be wary of buying that car without finding out more. Re the vibration on start up, I wasn't aware of this on the 2.2 we had from new (MY14 but same 9 speed auto) but do know that it's not as smooth or quiet an engine as the 2.0 ingenium. I have the same 2.2 engine in my Transit Custom and it's a bit noisy but there's less sound deadening in vans.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Sorry, that gearbox judder is a new one on me so can't help. Hopefully someone else can. I'd be wary of buying that car without finding out more. Re the vibration on start up, I wasn't aware of this on the 2.2 we had from new (MY14 but same 9 speed auto) but do know that it's not as smooth or quiet an engine as the 2.0 ingenium. I have the same 2.2 engine in my Transit Custom and it's a bit noisy but there's less sound deadening in vans.
Many thanks for sharing your expertise.

Shouldn't it be covered under used JLR warranty if there is an issue with gearbox (worst-case scenario)?

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
JLR ceased offering 2 years on their approved used cars a while ago and reduced it to 1, ok so let's say the car still has 18 months left on warranty, that means it was bought by the owner 6 months ago!

Why are they selling so soon? My guess is because it's out of warranty and they're playing on the new purchaser's ignorance, I'd be very wary of this car

·
Super Moderator
11,071 Posts
Many thanks for sharing your expertise.

Shouldn't it be covered under used JLR warranty if there is an issue with gearbox (worst-case scenario)?
I'd be asking the seller to get it fixed using the warranty before I would consider buying it. It could be a problem that he has had looked at and they couldn't fix it. My moto has always been " if in doubt don't do it " so if it was me I'd walk away from that car as you may live to regret buying it. There are plenty others about.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
JLR ceased offering 2 years on their approved used cars a while ago and reduced it to 1, ok so let's say the car still has 18 months left on warranty, that means it was bought by the owner 6 months ago!

Why are they selling so soon? My guess is because it's out of warranty and they're playing on the new purchaser's ignorance, I'd be very wary of this car
Thanks for your input. 18 months is my ignorance. This car was sold by the dealer with 2 years used car warranty. The paperwork shows that it is expiring in Aug 2021 so 14 months are left on it. I will be ringing used warranty department to confirm it though.

So, they have used the car for 10 months and their reasoning is that 'getting a company car'.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
I'd be asking the seller to get it fixed using the warranty before I would consider buying it. It could be a problem that he has had looked at and they couldn't fix it. My moto has always been " if in doubt don't do it " so if it was me I'd walk away from that car as you may live to regret buying it. There are plenty others about.
V good suggestion. But then am I paranoid? The car has a light movement when putting into reverse and might not be a judder. The judder maybe my interpretation. The more I think, the more I get confused. The seller has already said that it is not a fault and hence me asking this here.

Is it a norm to have a bit of movement when you put the car into R? I know that my old bmw auto had a similar movement.

I am limiting myself to avoid newer engines (oil dilution issues) and hence going for the 2014-15 model.

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
Ah that old chestnut 'company car forces very reluctant sale', I would check with the warranty company like you said. So they bought it Aug 19 with a 2 year warranty......hmmm I'm not sure when the 2 year approved stopped but could have sworn it was earlier than that.

@XZ4, asking the seller to get it fixed is fair comment but the seller has to acknowledge that there is a problem with the gearbox, not something you'd probably want to do when trying to off load a car, if there was a problem then surely the seller would have had it fixed under warranty by now, either theres nothing wrong with it OR its out or warranty and they want shot of it

·
Registered
1,648 Posts
I'd also be asking is the warranty transferrable, I'd be very surprised if it was

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I'd also be asking is the warranty transferrable, I'd be very surprised if it was
Already done last week before contemplating the idea of viewing the car. I was told yes, and we have to fill in a form on that warranty book.

·
Super Moderator
11,071 Posts
Thinking back, if you put into reverse too quickly after startup you may get the symptoms you mention. If you are viewing the car again try waiting a few seconds before engaging recerse. Most autos are like this.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Ah that old chestnut 'company car forces very reluctant sale', I would check with the warranty company like you said. So they bought it Aug 19 with a 2 year warranty......hmmm I'm not sure when the 2 year approved stopped but could have sworn it was earlier than that.

@XZ4, asking the seller to get it fixed is fair comment but the seller has to acknowledge that there is a problem with the gearbox, not something you'd probably want to do when trying to off load a car, if there was a problem then surely the seller would have had it fixed under warranty by now, either theres nothing wrong with it OR its out or warranty and they want shot of it
Just been to their helpline. After spending 20 minutes and discussing the limitations (GDPR applied here), the initial impression was that he could not confirm it

After a long discussion, he said that he cannot see any issue in transferring the warranty from the previous owner to ourselves. I have already seen the warranty paperwork with the seller confirming expiry date.

So, it seems that the warranty is there. And going back to your comment, its that there is no fault with the car or warranty isn't valid. JLR used warranty department states that it should be fine to transfer.

Thinking back, if you put into reverse too quickly after startup you may get the symptoms you mention. If you are viewing the car again try waiting a few seconds before engaging recerse. Most autos are like this.
Thanks for your suggestion. The issue here is that car was SORN last month (COVID-19 implications) and the seller has a work van (and getting a different company car as he said).

So, I could not test drive it. He drove it for 5 minutes before we parked and that is when I changed the gears to see this judder or tiny movement in the car. I do not think that 5 minutes will be enough to warm up the engine.

Will have to go back to the drawing board and see if there is a legal loophole to test drive the car.

·
Super Moderator
11,071 Posts
I didn't mean letting the car warm up. Just not starting and immediately puting it into reverse. Just wait a few seconds.

·
Registered
2,137 Posts
Hi makkan00,
I have a MY15 2.2SD4 & I have found that if I am on level ground with handbrake on & go from reverse to drive or visa versa I get 4 clunks/jerks the last one much harder than the other 3. I have queried this with the local dealer several times but as yet they have not managed to stop this happening. It feels & sounds like slack in the drive train. They have reset the gearbox several times because it tends to get very harsh over a short period of time & when it comes back it is much smoother, but the clunk& jerks are still there.
They say there is no excess slack in drive train, so no real explanation for these Clunks/Jerks, maybe one day it will just go bang, then we will know what the cause was.
With regards to the Warranty -- this is essential that it is in place. I have owed this vehicle since 27th April 2019 & have only covered 3059mls to date in my own vehicle, it has been into the local dealer many times where they have renewed the battery, Haldex pump, rear diff, rear O/S wheel bearing, turbo, fuel tank shields, rear O/S door latch, EGR valve plus all fluids/oils.
I am still getting strange warnings periodically & thet have not yet been able to cure the "turbo lag" or hesitation when pulling away from a standstill. This is very dodgy when joining traffic at roundabouts or junctions, so it will be going in again soon. I can not imagine how much all of this work has cost or what it would have cost without the warranty this is why I say the warranty is essential.

Having said all of this I still love the motor it is a great drive when it is going right.

·
Registered
58 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Hi makkan00,
I have a MY15 2.2SD4 & I have found that if I am on level ground with handbrake on & go from reverse to drive or visa versa I get 4 clunks/jerks the last one much harder than the other 3. I have queried this with the local dealer several times but as yet they have not managed to stop this happening. It feels & sounds like slack in the drive train. They have reset the gearbox several times because it tends to get very harsh over a short period of time & when it comes back it is much smoother, but the clunk& jerks are still there.
They say there is no excess slack in drive train, so no real explanation for these Clunks/Jerks, maybe one day it will just go bang, then we will know what the cause was.
With regards to the Warranty -- this is essential that it is in place. I have owed this vehicle since 27th April 2019 & have only covered 3059mls to date in my own vehicle, it has been into the local dealer many times where they have renewed the battery, Haldex pump, rear diff, rear O/S wheel bearing, turbo, fuel tank shields, rear O/S door latch, EGR valve plus all fluids/oils.
I am still getting strange warnings periodically & thet have not yet been able to cure the "turbo lag" or hesitation when pulling away from a standstill. This is very dodgy when joining traffic at roundabouts or junctions, so it will be going in again soon. I can not imagine how much all of this work has cost or what it would have cost without the warranty this is why I say the warranty is essential.

Having said all of this I still love the motor it is a great drive when it is going right.
Hi Bazz
Many thanks for sharing your side. I guess that is what I was trying to say. Yes, it gets a jerk and minor clunk. Only once though.

Sorry to hear that you had to go through all that. My rationale to go for this car:
1- Pre- LCI so no issues with oil dilution.
2- It has used warranty and dealers are not offering it on old cars.

Will see and how it goes and will report if symptoms get worse.
Thanks.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts