Evoque Owners Club banner
61 - 70 of 70 Posts

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
It wad 6% when I first read about it[oil dilution] and they weren't testing it then either but a lot of engines or at the very least balancer shaft bearings were going pop, they devised the algorithm software update and upped it to 10% dilution. Didn't they also come up with a sliding scale as to how much you should contribute to the cost of an interim oil change, something like if you were 75% mileage wise away from a service then the interim oil change was free, 50% away and you pay half, 25% away and you pay 75%, 0% and you pay full whack as its due a service anyway, are they still enforcing this or has it fell by the wayside?

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
14,292 Posts
I've never heard of the customer paying a percentage Doink

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I may have drempt it then, I do like cheese but hmmmmuk 1st post in his link is helpful, the last few attached documents especially

I didn't think you could just rock up and demand an interim oil change even quoting JLRP00100, I was also of the understanding that the dealer sent your sample away as they didn't have the facility themselves, would be good to know if that's changed or are they just making you sit in reception drinking their cappuccino while they pretend they're testing your oil, fine if they decide its 10% but what I'd they can't be arsed and say its only 3% and whos to say it was your oil they tested? I'd be wanting to see and have a copy of the printed read out and I'd be telling the service manager I'll be getting a sample tested myself, likes been mentioned Miller oils do it dirt cheap you just order the kit from them and post your bottle back

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #65 ·
It wad 6% when I first read about it[oil dilution] and they weren't testing it then either but a lot of engines or at the very least balancer shaft bearings were going pop, they devised the algorithm software update and upped it to 10% dilution. Didn't they also come up with a sliding scale as to how much you should contribute to the cost of an interim oil change, something like if you were 75% mileage wise away from a service then the interim oil change was free, 50% away and you pay half, 25% away and you pay 75%, 0% and you pay full whack as its due a service anyway, are they still enforcing this or has it fell by the wayside?
It was not a "sliding" scale of contribution, it was a criteria for action along the lines of :

• if 90% or closer to the service criteria (I think either time or mileage ie 2 years or 20,000 miles) then customer pays
  • if 75% to 90% then carry out free interim oil service but ask customer to book a service without the need for an oil service (presumably at a reduced cost ?)
  • less than 75% then carry out a free interim oil service

I think the software update not only changed (increased) the oil dilution tolerance before an oil service is required but it also allowed the facility to reset the oil service seperately from the other service requirements (previously they had to reset the whole service requirement to stop it being based on oil dilution) ie in that way they can get rid of the message without resetting the main service criteria.

I have no problem with any of the above and was the basis of my decision to keep the car as I knew that likely meant I would in effect get a free annual oil service. My car has covered c37.5% on time base and 20% on mileage based using the above criteria......on that sort of results it will be getting x2 free interim services between service intervals ie I could get another at 75% time and 40% distance !!!!!

My main "issue" is that I made it perfectly clear to the service staff that I wanted / was entitled to a Free interim oil service. They should have made it clear to me that this would involved booking the car in for a free Health Check to allow an oil sample to be taken, for a request then to be made on a case by case basis (If I don't qualify then nobody ever will ie original owner, full JLR service record, previous free interim oil service etc.. etc...), then on a YES from JLR book the car in again for the free oil service........I have no issue with that, I cna play that game.........what I cannot accept is being effectively lied to by the staff into paying c£150 and telling me absolutely that I was not entitled to a free oil service ! ....the service manager then simply "educating" me on JLR change of policy to the above ie acceptance from he off that I "may" be entitled to a free interim oil service.

So I'm biding my time :

If I get a YES from JLR I will get it booked in, free oil service and then I will raise a complaint directly with JLR executive customer services team about being lied to by the franchise service staff

If I get a NO from JLR all hell with break lose, my first email will be directly to JLR chief executive for a detailed written explanation as to why (from experience that will result in a phone call within half a day from his PA asking if I'm happy to be referred to the Executive Customer Service Team.

.........lets see but based on my previous history with JLR I'm expecting to have to chase this up next week (despite being assured it should only take a day or two) and I will start getting stropier earlier....the dealership is 1 mile from my office....it won't be a phone call !

Reactions: Doink

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #66 ·
nb I should also clarify that my understanding is that the above is applicable for 50,000 miles or 10 years...........I think that applies to any owner (as anyone could have relied on the original sales borchure for the car to purchase, even second hand) but am not sure, as the original owner they cannot use that to wriggle out of it with me ;-)

·
Registered
3,807 Posts
I think it's any owner, we had a free one under JLRP00100 and we bought used, from there on we had a timing chain replaced so that fell at the time for another free oil change then the other time it fell during a service for which we had a service plan

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #68 ·
So to be fair I had the phone call back from the Service Manager......after 2 days ........good start...

The answer from JLR is YES, they have approved a free interim oil change under goodwill.......great but no real surprise there, so the car is booked in next Wednesday

So onto the other 2 issues:

- can I get in writing what the criteria is going forward ? The answer is no......the new "policy" is that for cars under 3 years old (original manufacturers warranty) then the dealership have the discretion to carry out under goodwill, but for cars over 3 years old (no mention of in warranty being a factor, to be clear mine is out of warranty I did not extend it) then JLR have to approve on a case by case basis and they will not disclose the criteria........now I could push that point but fear it would be like banging my head against a brick wall......I do have the comfort of JLRP00100 which confirmed in wirting the criteria and the 50,000 mile tolerance......so far as I'm concerned JLR can change the criteria to assess meeting JLRP00100 but they cannot change the result if you meet that criteria ......to me the only factors that they can consider are a) that the car has previously been serviced as per the service schedule (and in my case I ensure that is at JLR as belt and braces) AND b) that the oil is diluted past a tolerance....the fact that the "requires a service" light comes on (which I take a picture of) is that indicator. If they need to take an oil analysis to confirm that then I have to accept they can change how they confirm the criteria has been met ie check it with an oil analysis. So confirmed procedure going forward is on early service indicator book car in for free health check and oil analysis (they can do that on site ie in terms of dilution %), submit request to JLR, get approval, book in for goodwill oil service.......I can live with that. It will be interesting next summer when its likely the car will need another goodwill oil service at c40% mileage / 75% time ie within the JLRP00100 tolerance as to whether than is approved.....it should be......lets wait and see if it needs one

- secondly, the way the service staff handled it ie by not informing me of the above procedure when booking in and I disclosed that in my opinion the car was entitled to a free goodwill oil service and when attending basically laughing at me that it would be free with me having to request to see the service manager who then immediately confirmed the process. He response was that they usually get really good feedback over that member of staff. I said I would leave it with him but there where 2 issues, attitude and training. It will be interesting next week when I see that person again and I will say it to her face to face, with no doubt the added smirk of being entitled to the FREE oil change she was so adamanet I was not !!!!!!!

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
3,396 Posts
Shame you didn't get your own analysis done - see my previous post.

NB. I believe the mileage increased to 55,000 in June 2019.

·
Registered
545 Posts
Discussion Starter · #70 ·
If they had said no then I would have done……….;)

Noted re the 55k miles tolerance

61 - 70 of 70 Posts