Evoque Owners Club banner
41 - 60 of 70 Posts

Registered
Discussion Starter · #41 ·
To update this thread after an overnight charge........the CTEK was showing full charge and on maintenance .........I unplugged it and took the car for a supermarket run........absolutely no messages from the car (it was telling me low battery yesturday) .........so that gives me at least a definitive position ie:

- connect a ctek to the negative on the battery and it will charge your battery but the BMS will be confused initially but will stop giving low battery warning after some use.

- connect the ctek to the chassis for a negative and it works perfectly (assuming your battery is ok in the first place and will charge / hold a charge (y)

Nb I ran the battery monitor app after the run out and its showing 12.43v & 98% charge 馃槑

Registered
And check it again an hour later (when everything has shut down) and it will probably show 12.8v or more @100%

Reactions: Jonttt

Registered
Discussion Starter · #43 ·
Correct ...now showing 12.75v and 100% battery (y)

Reactions: Col_C

Registered
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
After 4 years of ownership.......a change of style to stop it getting boring :unsure:

From stock 2017 .....

to Hawke L405 Vogue Style.....

Straight plug a play 5 min job to install, I got them 2nd hand off eBay in great condition, they really are OEM quality so just gave them a quick hand polish and Marine grade sealant for UV protection and they came up a treat (y)..

Given there are so many Range Rovers where I live :rolleyes:.....its a change to have something a little different as I have not seen these on an Evoque out in the wild before

Registered
Discussion Starter · #45 ·
Another little eBay bargin, well relatively speaking 馃槃 ie they where a lot cheaper than JLR charge but still expensive.......genuine new umbrella holder 馃尐鈽

Fitting is straightforward as the mounting holes are pre drilled under the seat cover.....getting to them it tight as the leather is well fitted but not too bad.....

I guess I need to get a RR umbrella now :rolleyes:

Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
I don't think the LR unbrellas are collapsable so you might need to cut it in half to fit ;)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #47 ·
馃槃...everythings possible......but I'll probably get a none branded quality one even if JLR did one ie better quality as your not paying for the JLR logo (y)

Reactions: XZ4

Registered
Is car jacking a problem where you live?
May be one of these :)

Registered
Discussion Starter · #49 ·
To be fair its never really been a problem......most of my neighbours have nicer cars than me anyway 馃槃

Reactions: Col_C

Registered
MY15 2.2L
You can get small and large Land Rover umbrellas :)

Small to fit your holder:

The holder looks pretty smart!

Registered
Discussion Starter · #51 ·
We鈥檝e had the evoque 4 years and today I found out about a feature I did not think it has ....but it has......hands free boot ........I have definately tested this before without success so assumed years ago it did not have it......then I was reading a thread recently where it said you have to swipe with your foot very slowley.......for some reason I tested it today and it opened by itself :ROFLMAO:

Reactions: XZ4

Registered
We鈥檝e had the evoque 4 years and today I found out about a feature I did not think it has ....but it has......hands free boot ........I have definately tested this before without success so assumed years ago it did not have it......then I was reading a thread recently where it said you have to swipe with your foot very slowley.......for some reason I tested it today and it opened by itself :ROFLMAO:
:D :LOL: :ROFLMAO:
There's definitely a knack to it, I went back to the dealer for training :), I've found a slow kick of the tyre while standing at the back usually (but not always) does it for me, I also think it works better with a fresh battery in the fob.
Of course it always works when you don't want it to, I have to remember to leave the fob away from the car when washing it, and I'm paranoid about it powering up when in the garage (up&over door leaves minimal head room).

Registered
Often wondered if it's the same radar used for the Reverse Trafic Detection warning system, that works well in the Tesco (sorry - Waitrose) carpark.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #54 ·
Genuine Range Rover sidesteps installed.....

Purchase and install thread here:

Registered
Discussion Starter · #55 · (Edited)
Time for another update c9 months after deciding to keep the Evoque and basically run it into the ground lol.......

Mileage has been pretty limited, the car had its major 4 year service on the 23/03/21 on 18,903 miles and after just over 9 months sits on c23k miles so around 4k miles in 9 months. That has included the occassional long run motorway >100 miles (basically if going away with the dogs) but otherwise is made up of daily runs of <5miles at a time. The car has been faultless, has had a recent OTA software update which just "happened" all by itself (seems to make the sometimes shakey long bootup at the start of a journey less often / resolved). We have never had any DPF issues / warning with the car despite its type of use ........I do consciously try to do the odd long motorway run with the car to help clear the DPF properly which after nearly 5 years hasn't done any harm DPF wise.
However on checking the app today the car is warning that it is due a service soon ie after 9 months and c4,000 miles from a major service ! Its obviously the infamous Oil Dilution issue requiring an oil change. I am obviously well versed on this and the fact I am entitled to a free oil change in between 2 year servicing was a factor in my deciding to keep the car. As a reminder as the original owner of the car there is absolutely no grey area in that I was missold the car based on 2 year / 20,000 service requirements. I am therefore entitled to 60,000 miles or 10 years of "free" interim oil changes, certainly when that requirement falls 50% outside of the requirements on which I purchased the car........I do ensure that all servicing is carried out at Range Rover so they cannot squirm out of their free oil change requirements........(I have become wise to all of Range Rovers tricks over the years)...........so my normal phone call to Range Rover went as expected :

• "I need to book my car in for a free interim oil change please"
  • "no problem sir, that will be 拢150"
  • "Its free"
  • "is the car in warranty sir"
  • "no"
  • "its 拢150 Sir"
  • "its free"
  • "why would it be free sir"
  • I then give them the full speil of my rights, the fact I was misold, the fact I have evidence from JLR that I am entitled to 60,000 miles / 10 years of free interim oil changes, etc etc.
-"do you need a coutesy car sir?"

So car is booked in next Tuesday, no verbal confirmation that its free ie they just listened to me and then booked the car in. Thats what happened last time confirming to me two things:

• they know all about the free interim oil changes I am entitled to on this car
  • they still try it on and try to charge me for this
  • they will not verbally confirm that I am entitled to it

I am expecting same as last time........I will not get asked for any money but no one will admit I'm getting a free oil service !

Good to see nothing has changed at JLR :rolleyes:

Registered
That's great to hear but I was always of the understanding that they tested the oil for 10% dilution before they agree to change it, I guess the update only gives them a rough idea when it's due

Premium Member
68 plate HSE Petrol Dynamic p250 sold - P300 HST on order
love the wheels

Registered
MY15 2.2L
That's great to hear but I was always of the understanding that they tested the oil for 10% dilution before they agree to change it, I guess the update only gives them a rough idea when it's due
They haven't got the facilities to test for dilution - see previous posts.
They can only go by the service required algorithm that has computed it's probably diluted.

Registered
Discussion Starter · #59 ·
It appears that you are correct......JLR have changed thier policy from cSept 2021 requring approval on a case by case basis which requires an oil sample to be tested.......so the procedure should be :

1) book in for a free health check at which an oil sample is tested
2) decision made whether a request is made to JLR for a free interim oil service
3) book car back in for an oil service to be either paid or free

So as you can guess I was absolutely fuming at JLR this morning based on the following:

• I attended to be TOLD that I would have to pay. The attitude of the service reception staff was shocking and I can imagine many / most customers just paying
  • They then back tracked and said they would have to test the oil first. I agreed to wait. This took 1 hour !!!!!!!
  • I was then told I would have to pay (They had not even given me the results)
  • I saw the Service Manager in his office.
  • He confirmed I had 9% oil dilution and he would make a request to JLR for a free oil service. This would take a few days.
  • He confirmed and read out JLR new policy ie they accept liability but approval is required on a case by case basis following the results of an oil analysis.

I have no doubt their criteria will also consider others things eg service history etc......Mine is immaculate and includes a previous Free interim oil service !

I am 100% certain this will get approval but it is the follwing that has really and royally p!55ed me off:

• the attitude of the service staff who obviosly know about this but blatently effectively lie in not telling a customer of the above procedure, they try to bully you into paying
  • the fact JLR have changed policy presumably trying to skirm out of as many as they can

So I will calmly wait for the answer. Asuming the answer is yes I'll bide my time and get the work done then put a complaint into JLR executive team. Is still have their individual email addresses from my previous major complaints with other JLR products (failed engines at 90mph on the M6 etc.......)
If the answer is no then gloves are off. Its not about the 拢100 cost its principle of being missold the car in the first place and as documented on here my decision to keep the car last year based on the knowledge I would be entitled to free interim oil service.

The Service Manager (and I will be asking JLR executive team as well) has agreed to reques written confirmation from JLR as to my rights going forward and what the procedure is to claim the free interim oil service.

Oh and the Sales manager threw in "its not a safety issue" which I hit the roof at.......telling him that when you have a JLR product which had a known engine fault with seized engines (2015 vogue) which then seized at 90mpg on the M6 2 weeks and 1500 miles after its first service putting MY life at risk .......and now I have a car with a known issue of oil dilution which ultimately could cause engine failure with MY family in it ............at which point he sheepesly shut up under my growling snare !

I have exited from JLR products because of its appauling customer service, only deciding to keep this car last minute (with a new car waiting to be picked up last March) ........its good to see that JLR have not changed at all.........Ironically I had an invite to their national launch of the new Vogue (based on how many we have bought off them over the years).....great day, free slap up 3 course meel and a top hotel etc........I wish I had taken a picture of my feedback form on JLR products at the end of the day 馃槃

Reactions: Doink

Registered
MY15 2.2L
I wonder how they tested it and what test equipment they have?
You should ask for a copy of the analysis.

I've only heard of people getting oil tested via a lab (usually Miller Oils, I think it was around 拢30 for 2 tests).
It would be great to see a test comparison! Their analysis states oil dilution along with metals etc. showing up in the oil indicating issues. You seem quite keen so perhaps do one of those? If it came back as 13% or something it would be interesting.

I wonder if some people in similar circs to you get told it's not badly diluted (even though the vehicle is asking for an oil change) and if LR then reset the SIM meaning the owner keeps driving and won't see another warning about dilution due to the reset?!

41 - 60 of 70 Posts