Evoque Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 54 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Is it 2.5 yeara already since we got the evoque.......time flies......

I thought it worthwhile giving some updates which others may fund useful, in no particular order......

- the car itself has been brilliant and we have all enjoyed it. It is to be fair only just run in on 11,000 miles in c30 months of use but that is what it was bought for ie a nice, small luxury SUV for local trips including the school run. to that end it has been faultless. I drive it rarely but I like it when I do and still like the look of it parked on the drive, even compared to the newer facelift model that is out now.

- the multimedia interface is still pretty rubbish compared to other marques. It has the newer InControl Touch Pro interface but approximately 10% of the time it takes so long to boot up we have reversed out of the drive and are on our way before you can either put the heated seats on or even use the reversing cameras. The nav has an annoying habit of wanting you to sign in all the time, and little randon glitches still happen eg the other day I could not swap the seat diagram to change which one I wanted to heat.

- the dual view screen is a waste of time. It gives a slightly lower resolution than standard and we never use it, ipads are the plaything of choice.

- I took out the £500 3 year scratch insurance as this is SWMBO daily and well she needs it (I know thats not PC to say but it is a fact). It worked brilliantly year 1 for a couple of minor scuffs to the front bumper. You can make 3 seperate claims a year so I sort of save them up to make 3 at once. I put cliam in which was accepted back in May for x3 front bumper scuffs and am still waiting for it to be done. A combination of bad weather, injured repairers and inaptitude from the sub contracted supplier have resulted in my making complaints under insurance prodcut legislation. Fundamentally the insurance has / is worht it (and that from someone who never usually takes out any insurance he does not legally have to), I think the issue is they just can;t cope with the demand and are fully booked all the time. I have just got a date today for the repair to happen at the end of the month, fingers crossed it does not rain in the UK which lets be honest is pretty rare, sigh.

- the 2 year servicing (pretty standard now on most cars) is a blessing which was a factor in buying the car in the first place. That has been great but its good (not) to see that Range Rovers customer service is as dire as always, at first it took them 2 days to even accept the car existed to "put it on their system" to book in the service. however I had been having an issue with service reminders constantly coming up on the display when they where clearly not due eg after < 12 month and 7,000 miles when it should be 24 month / 20,000 miles. I remember commenting on this to them and got no reply. Anyway the car was serviced on 24 months / 8,000 miles at a reasonable cost with no issues flagged up. (see comments later).

- I love the fact that the nav has built in speed camera warnings, something my c£100k BMW is totally incapable of ! You don't even need to fudge that as I had to in my 2015 Vogue, its just there.

- the active drive is ace, SWMBO never touches any buttons other than volume and seat heating but I put it in active drive mode whenever I drive it.

- the cabin is still a very nice place to be even compared to much more expensive cars

More on the service issues of premature service warnings.........I had not been on this site for some considerable time until recently and was more than a little annoyed when I read about the issues with premature servivce intervals and engine oil dilution, seemingly suffered by cars that do not do many "long trips" ie >60 min / 60MPH for extended periods ie my car which is used daily but for trips averaging 6 miles and 20 minutes. The fact I had a) suffered these premature warnings and presumably therefore oil dilution and b) told Range Rover the same back in March when the car had its 24 months service ie after it was a known problems and yet they chose not to tell me anything about it. I have checked and the VIN of my car is elligible for the free oil / filter changes on the warning even though I do not have the service pack on the vehicle. Further on checking Topix my car is eligible for 2 software upgrades :

N289 – service required earlier than expected

N377 – Incontrol Pro touch Update (which addresses bugs and adds Apple Car Play / Android Auto)

Now so far as I can see these where available when the car went in for its service and yet they did not install them !

To say I am totally fed up with car manufacturers taking the p!55 is an understatement. If they are not lying to you about emmissions then they will lie to you about something else and think thats OK.

So I phoned up my local dealership ie where it was serviced 6 months ago and yep, they could not find the car on the system......you seriously cannot make up the total incompetance of Range Rover customer service experience...."we will have to phone you back when we find the car", sure enough they phoned me back to inform me they had now found the car, what joy that brought to my day!

"so what do you want to book it in for"

"N289 and N377 software campaigns to be installed please"

"have you had THE letter"

"what letter"

"ah......"

"look I know the car is due two software updates both to fix problems with the car"

"ah but we can't.........."

"stop there!, yes you can"

"but is there a problem with the car?"

"Ok, I turn it on, reverse onto a busy road in the middle of winter, I get 2 miles down the road and then the screen starts to work, no reverse cameras, no seat heating....is that a problem or how you designed it ?"

"ah, you have a problem"

"and...... through no fault of my own you have decided not to tell me that my car has a tendancy to dump fuel into the oil diluting it so much that the engine may sieze. I have to remind you that I have already suffered one range rover engine siezer in a 15,000 miles Vogue doing 70MPH (ish) on the outisde lane of the M6 2 weeks after its first service, it was not a pleasant experience and yet you thought you would play with MY life again....thats a problem for me which N289 won;t actually fix but it will more accurately tell me when it may do it"

"right Mr XXXXX we'll get you booked striaght in"

You seriously could not make this crap up......so the car is booked in for a "free" software update in a couple of weeks....... whats the chances on it being bricked lol

On a more positive note I thought I would take my life in my hands (ie the risk of taking SWBMO ride off the road) and update the nav software. So far it has gone to plan in that I have got the new maps ready to plug into the car on USB. They did take about 4 hours to download and prep the USB drive but I have as yet actually plucked up the courage to plug it into the car.........I'll leave it to the weekend when the car is not actually needed as much lol

So thats my 2.5 year update, things have not changed at all with Range Rover.......awesome cars with the ownership experience ruined by a combination of crap customer service and a tendancy of them not to do what they should.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,734 Posts
Thanks for the update :)
Shows it's worth visiting this forum if you are an Evoque owner.

For those stumbling across this post - see my previous thread on Oil Dilution:
https://www.evoqueownersclub.co.uk/...255-early-service-oil-dilution-jlrp00100.html

On the plus side - it's good/interesting to see your DPF hasn't had problems considering your "driving style".
Lots of people need the early oil change(s) but not that many people are posting about DPFs.

·
Registered
585 Posts
Is it 2.5 yeara already since we got the evoque.......time flies......

I thought it worthwhile giving some updates which others may fund useful, in no particular order......

- the multimedia interface is still pretty rubbish compared to other marques. It has the newer InControl Touch Pro interface but approximately 10% of the time it takes so long to boot up we have reversed out of the drive and are on our way before you can either put the heated seats on or even use the reversing cameras. The nav has an annoying habit of wanting you to sign in all the time, and little randon glitches still happen eg the other day I could not swap the seat diagram to change which one I wanted to heat.

More on the service issues of premature service warnings.........I had not been on this site for some considerable time until recently and was more than a little annoyed when I read about the issues with premature servivce intervals and engine oil dilution, seemingly suffered by cars that do not do many "long trips" ie >60 min / 60MPH for extended periods ie my car which is used daily but for trips averaging 6 miles and 20 minutes. The fact I had a) suffered these premature warnings and presumably therefore oil dilution and b) told Range Rover the same back in March when the car had its 24 months service ie after it was a known problems and yet they chose not to tell me anything about it. I have checked and the VIN of my car is elligible for the free oil / filter changes on the warning even though I do not have the service pack on the vehicle. Further on checking Topix my car is eligible for 2 software upgrades :

N289 – service required earlier than expected

N377 – Incontrol Pro touch Update (which addresses bugs and adds Apple Car Play / Android Auto)

Now so far as I can see these where available when the car went in for its service and yet they did not install them !

To say I am totally fed up with car manufacturers taking the p!55 is an understatement. If they are not lying to you about emmissions then they will lie to you about something else and think thats OK.

So I phoned up my local dealership ie where it was serviced 6 months ago and yep, they could not find the car on the system......you seriously cannot make up the total incompetance of Range Rover customer service experience...."we will have to phone you back when we find the car", sure enough they phoned me back to inform me they had now found the car, what joy that brought to my day!

"so what do you want to book it in for"

"N289 and N377 software campaigns to be installed please"

"have you had THE letter"

"what letter"

"ah......"

"look I know the car is due two software updates both to fix problems with the car"

"ah but we can't.........."

"stop there!, yes you can"

"but is there a problem with the car?"

"Ok, I turn it on, reverse onto a busy road in the middle of winter, I get 2 miles down the road and then the screen starts to work, no reverse cameras, no seat heating....is that a problem or how you designed it ?"

"ah, you have a problem"

"and...... through no fault of my own you have decided not to tell me that my car has a tendancy to dump fuel into the oil diluting it so much that the engine may sieze. I have to remind you that I have already suffered one range rover engine siezer in a 15,000 miles Vogue doing 70MPH (ish) on the outisde lane of the M6 2 weeks after its first service, it was not a pleasant experience and yet you thought you would play with MY life again....thats a problem for me which N289 won;t actually fix but it will more accurately tell me when it may do it"

"right Mr XXXXX we'll get you booked striaght in"

You seriously could not make this crap up......so the car is booked in for a "free" software update in a couple of weeks....... whats the chances on it being bricked lol

On a more positive note I thought I would take my life in my hands (ie the risk of taking SWBMO ride off the road) and update the nav software. So far it has gone to plan in that I have got the new maps ready to plug into the car on USB. They did take about 4 hours to download and prep the USB drive but I have as yet actually plucked up the courage to plug it into the car.........I'll leave it to the weekend when the car is not actually needed as much lol

So thats my 2.5 year update, things have not changed at all with Range Rover.......awesome cars with the ownership experience ruined by a combination of crap customer service and a tendancy of them not to do what they should.
Great post!!

the multimedia interface is still pretty rubbish compared to other marques. It has the newer InControl Touch Pro interface but approximately 10% of the time it takes so long to boot up we have reversed out of the drive and are on our way before you can either put the heated seats on or even use the reversing cameras. The nav has an annoying habit of wanting you to sign in all the time, and little randon glitches still happen eg the other day I could not swap the seat diagram to change which one I wanted to heat.

Totally agree, its like it has valves that need to warm up!!

And they'll change the spec to keep you quiet!

Downloading can take forever as it is a byte by byte procedure. It is like this to check for errors.

Loading it into the car takes about 20 mins sometimes less. You can go for a drive while it is loading, that keeps the engine running and you are getting somewhere!
I tried to load it with the the IGN ON and battery on supply but it still times out and shuts down. I knew it was going to do this and was ready to switch the IGN ON as soon as it went off!
The time out is about 12 mins.
Driving is easier!
It is very straightforward believe me, menu led.

Best

Ian

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for the update :)
Shows it's worth visiting this forum if you are an Evoque owner.

For those stumbling across this post - see my previous thread on Oil Dilution:
https://www.evoqueownersclub.co.uk/...255-early-service-oil-dilution-jlrp00100.html

On the plus side - it's good/interesting to see your DPF hasn't had problems considering your "driving style".
Lots of people need the early oil change(s) but not that many people are posting about DPFs.
yep it was well worth logging back on ;-) I am very active on other car forums for my hobby cars but the dailies get a bit neglected.

lol My driving style probably accounts for 500 miles of the total it has driven, believe me it is driven slower than Miss Daisy the rest of the time by SWMBO......despite that she still manages to pick up bumper dings on a regular basis, her attitude is they are there to be used !

Update on the Scratch insurance......they have now offered me a £50 goodwill cheque (I've already had one £25 cheque off them).....I've told them they can keep it until after the car has actually been repaired as my "claim" may be for much more than that (I'll be after the full £500 back soon).......I think its fingers crossed on their part it does not actually rain on the 31st October.......They have blamed a "spike" in demand. I've told them they are having a laugh, if one of my businesses had a "spike" in demand for 6 months! and they had not done something about the obvious real problem of lack of resource to actually meet demand then heads would be rolling.......how do these people actually run a business and where do they get their customer service training from !

·
Registered
MY16 HSE Dynamic LUX, Volvo 850R
2,321 Posts
31st October is Brexit day, you can't possibly have it repaired on that day as they'll need proof the dings and scratches were caused within the UK and not elsewhere in the EU

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
time for an update:

- the car went into my local Range rover dealer for the software updates (emissions and media interface). All went smoothly in that the car works the same afterwards lol. time will tell re the emissions warnings for oil dilution and I did not notice any difference re the media interface. To be fair I have not really driven the car since (its the Mrs daily) so not checked if Ipod / android car play is now available.

Re the scratch insurance first claime dback in may and due for its 3rd call out repair on the 31st October......we the repairer turned up as planned / booked.....to then inform me that as each of the areas to be repaired on the front bumper require slight filling and blending in, it would be better for the whole bumper to be repainted. He confirmed this would still be covered under the policy as each area is within the tolerances but.......he would not have time to do it as its a days job and he gets allocated 6 jobs per day.........you seriously cannot make this madness up. He was a nice enough guy frustrated that they do not get to see the pics submitted with the claims as he would have known from them that it needed a day allocating to the repair. I asked him how busy he was as it seemed to take months to get a new booking and he said they are not that busy as some days not all booking slots are taken......hmmmmmm

So its now been over 6 months since I first made the insurance claim and I still do not have a date for a repair. I've lost patience now and so have made a formal complaint to the FOS and will be doing the same to the FCA (as its an FCA regulated product). I have made both the contractual provider and their sub contracter aware of the complaints. to Date (c weeks after the last failure to repair) I have had an automated receipt for my complaint and nothing else from anyone. I don't expect anything from the FOS but will be exclulating the complaint to the directors of each company and Range rover themselves who promoted the product as part of the car sale.

I have asked for "permission" to arrange for the car to be repaired at a local range rover approved bodyshop and the costs to be met by the contractual supplier. If I donlt get a response within a reasponable timescale ie 30 days I will take it as acceptance of that request and I will get the car repaired myself and take them to small claims court to recover the costs.

In the meantime I'll have some fun writing to directors of the companies and range rover lol

Reactions: 9492

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
Well its been quite a while since I updated this thread 😄

The car is coming up to 4 years old in March ............its only done 18k miles partyl due to covid but it was only ever going to be a low miler in any case for school runs etc........

We have loved the car.....its had a couple of niggles :

• central locking failed on passenger side just before warranty expired which was fixed FOC
  • it had the software updated FOC again just before warranty expried to the new "3 bar" design which allowed SOTA (software over air updates) and the Smartphone pack (apple carplay and android auto which are both superb) and service oil change tolerance adjustment due to oil dilution
  • its been serviced on schedule at the main dealer including free Interim Oil changes (due to oil dilution)
  • the Haldex pump failed after 3.5 years so out of warranty and only 16k miles 😡......so car ran on 2WD for a month before I could get it over to the Midlands for Bell Engineering to fit a brand new one for £450

Oil Dilution and the Haldex put the mockers on the car and I had a real dilemma whether to keep it or not.......I always said I would never run a RR without warranty and I have this year.....at the end of the day I have "saved" as a warranty would have been c£1,000 and I've spend £450 (so far touch wood) but over christmas I set out to find a replacement........ended up with a factory order for a March delivery Volvo XC40 Inspiration Pro with some choice options ..... I thought that would set my mind at rest and I could look forward to a new adventure (well its SWMBO car officially but I do like to get something I like to drive as these tend to be the cars we can "wrag" about and get messed up with family chores........but something was bugging me.......it would mean I would be RR'less for the first time in a long time..........as the weeks passed since confirming the Volvo order I started to look at the RR in a new light.......the "stress" of owning it out of warranty seemed to disappear and I've actually been using it quite a bit in the colder weather due to the 4WD.......in short I've got attached to it again and in a weird way started to think of it as a new car again.....

This got me thinking and I came to the decision that the thoguht of owning and running a car for much longer than I normally would is quite appealing, my daughter is 10 now and we have some great memories of the car over the past 4 years (yes even last year with some camping trips) ....the thought of keeping it as a family hack for another 5 or 6 years actually appeals to me......I am definately getting older and its not something I've ever contemplated before......so a few weeks of deliberation ......and I still could not decide.....to the point it was actually annoying me...........so a week or so ago I gave myself a deadline so that I could move on one way or another.......and that decision was to keep the Evoque........its actually a massive relief......and a brand new adventure for me ...a world of RR without a warranty !

The weird thing is I run a number of cars which are much older including a 1997 Porsche 911 and 2011 Porsche Boxster.....but those a re pure playthings, true hobby cars but with them its all about the fun of tinkering and doing mostly my own spannering (services I have to get done "properly" as it has a massive effect on values of those cars).........I just have always benefited from not having to bother about anything on the two dailes we run which are always new and under warranty).........So its not about the fear of having to work on a car I think it was more getting my head around adding SWMBO family car to the list of cars I need to think about......I love messing with cars so why was that putting me off in the first place....

I think the thing that make it harder is that financially the numbers are not really far apart ie run the Evoque for another 3or4 years v the contract deal I had done on the XC40 over 3 years (£376/mth) = c£13,500........man maths told me that if I was to buy our Evoque now (loaded Autobiography with full service history, 18k miles, pretty mint condition (I spent a day valeting the interior last week) and the rare March 17 RFL banding ie new plate and pre luxury tax for 6 years) I would be looking at £30k plus......say £30k so less the £13,500 it would cost to run the XC40 that stands me £16,500......so in theory anything the car is worth in 3 years over £16,500 I have "saved" on keeping it.......that does not of course factor in running costs of a car under warranty v a car without.......the car will also need a set of tyres and servicing will be more expensive (say £1k diff there) .....of course who knows what the car will be worth in 3 years, it will only likely be on <35k miles ...........I reckon at best I have say £2-3k to "spend" on maintenance over servicing before its break even......the maths really say take the XC40 with a known / fixed cost........but the heart kept on saying keep the Evoque as you love it so much....

So I'm not doing this for financial reasons ...its borderline at best....I may be a few grand better off in 3 years but I may just as likely be a few grand worse off.......bottom line is I'm doing this becuase the car we have ticks every box ie:

• I'm limited on size as SWMBO will not drive anything larger
  • it still has all the latest tech....the new software (3 bars) and Smartphone add on made a massive difference to this
  • it has remote start which has always worked perfectly and we use a lot
  • it has a big spec list ie I have never really seen one with the same spec so its almost impossible to replicate without ordering new again
  • I still love the style / looks of the **** thing........If it had just been launched today I would still think wow...that looks perfect for a small SUV......nb I genuinely prefer it to the newer v2 models, yes they are slicker / smoother but I prefer the more rugged looks, proper buttons instead of two screens and a pet hate of mine is retractable handles...very shallow I know.......but I have always loved the Evoque shape I have and that has never changed even with the newer model......

So despite oil dilution, DPF blockages, steering nut failures, haldex failures, general reliability concerns, still having to deal with JLR shocking customer services we are keeping the Evoque long term ....are we crazy....maybe......but I'm up for the challenge and a new adventure......wish me luck 😎

ps part of the man logic is that in 3-4 years EV technology will have progressed down the development cycle that we can seriously consider jumping in.....SWMBO next car may well be full electric.....I'm on my 3rd hybrid but thats purley for tax reasons (company cars) and the products are still too compromised / numbers do not add up for what you get to make them feasible at the moment....in 3-4 years they probably will be.......

Apologise for the ramblings but I always like looking back at my own writings in years to come and have a little smile compared to how things actually work out...

need to phone Volvo and tell them the bad news !

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #28
time for an update:

- the car went into my local Range rover dealer for the software updates (emissions and media interface). All went smoothly in that the car works the same afterwards lol. time will tell re the emissions warnings for oil dilution and I did not notice any difference re the media interface. To be fair I have not really driven the car since (its the Mrs daily) so not checked if Ipod / android car play is now available.

Re the scratch insurance first claime dback in may and due for its 3rd call out repair on the 31st October......we the repairer turned up as planned / booked.....to then inform me that as each of the areas to be repaired on the front bumper require slight filling and blending in, it would be better for the whole bumper to be repainted. He confirmed this would still be covered under the policy as each area is within the tolerances but.......he would not have time to do it as its a days job and he gets allocated 6 jobs per day.........you seriously cannot make this madness up. He was a nice enough guy frustrated that they do not get to see the pics submitted with the claims as he would have known from them that it needed a day allocating to the repair. I asked him how busy he was as it seemed to take months to get a new booking and he said they are not that busy as some days not all booking slots are taken......hmmmmmm

So its now been over 6 months since I first made the insurance claim and I still do not have a date for a repair. I've lost patience now and so have made a formal complaint to the FOS and will be doing the same to the FCA (as its an FCA regulated product). I have made both the contractual provider and their sub contracter aware of the complaints. to Date (c weeks after the last failure to repair) I have had an automated receipt for my complaint and nothing else from anyone. I don't expect anything from the FOS but will be exclulating the complaint to the directors of each company and Range rover themselves who promoted the product as part of the car sale.

I have asked for "permission" to arrange for the car to be repaired at a local range rover approved bodyshop and the costs to be met by the contractual supplier. If I donlt get a response within a reasponable timescale ie 30 days I will take it as acceptance of that request and I will get the car repaired myself and take them to small claims court to recover the costs.

In the meantime I'll have some fun writing to directors of the companies and range rover lol
Noticed that I nver updated / closed the "story" behind the " minor repair" insurance......this was a 3rd party insurance that JLR offer on the sale of new cars.......I never normally take anything like this out but for £500 for 3 years cover and I know how SWMBO drives I thought it would be well worth it.....and so it proved ....eventually !...
I had two claims on it which went fine for minor scratch repairs to the frton bumper...normally shopping trolley type of stuff.....so in my mind it had already paid for itself.....but then SWMCO ended up with a larger scrape of 29.5cm long but very narrow ....of course she does not know how it happened but I reckon she hit the gate, sigh..........what a nightmare that was...the policy if for any scrape up to 30cm.......also ended up with another smaller scrape of about 1.5cm further along the bumper (SWMBO drvies this remember) .......after 3 failed visits for various reasons and effectively being lied to they then claimed in writing that it was >30cm long....that was the last straw and so I wrote to JLR CEO and ended up dealing with their executive customer services team...even though this was not actually a JLR product I argued that they sold it with new cars so had to have some resposnbility.....I also got the FCA involved (got assigned a case worker) and I paid for the cover monthly and so it is a regualted financial product.......the icing on the cake was photographs of a british standard ruler (OK my daughter plastic school ruler) alongside the damage clearly showing it was 29.5cm long (phew).......in the end the paid me £600 cash to get the front bumber repainted.......I had the job done for £350 and pocketed the rest.......I enjoyed the drama !

Remarkably the car has now remained damage free for over a year ...wow must be magic paint they used ;-)

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Last year with Covid restrictions we did a few camping trips using the Evoque......it was brilliant but we filled it with all sorts of crap.......we did not take the dogs but if we had they would not have fitted in..........so I had it in mind to invest in a roof box.......I just expected that to be for a new car this year.......so once the decision was made to keep the Evoque long term I got on the job of settting it up for another covid affected summer with camping trips.....we have two booked as contingencies in case we cannot get abroad...........

I've never owned a roof box before so after some research settled on a Thule ........my biggest dilemma turned out to be what colour roof rails to get.......I ended up choosing the silver to keep in sync with the silver accents on the car........I ended up buying the aftermarket roof rail kit from Powerfuluk.com for £195 including the trim finishers for a panoramic roof....plus I think c£110 for the rails.....

Fitting was strightforward apart from the trim finishers....they where an absolute bitch to fit and in the end I just could not get the rears to fit properly so ended up "adapting" the retention parts slightly to get them to fit.......in the end what should have been a 1 hour job took closer to 3 but very pleased with the end results ....

The roof box arravied today.......I got that from www.roofbox.co.uk......they had a Thule Motion XT M (175cm long v the offical JLR which is 170cm) for £435 which is the cheapest I could find....but they also had an offer on an "unused returned, damaged box" item for £375 so I thought I would take chance on that........as described the box was knackered so I feared the worst....inside it is 100% unmarked and I even had to peel of the original plastic shrink wrap which had not been removed from the box.....genuine bargain.......

The weather is aweful for the next few days so hopefully at the weekend I'll get a trial fitting to test .....I'll put some pics up

Reactions: DKZ5745

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,734 Posts
Thanks for the updates (y)

Re. The roof box.
Remember you have to mount this quite far forward so that an opening tailgate doesn't hit it!
Thinking about that - if it should be a problem, then when you have the box mounted you could set the opening height of the tailgate to be lower and put things back to normal when it's not in use.

The cross-rail location holes on the genuine rails are a long way forward to help avoid that.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #31
That was my thinking......I almost pulled the trigger on a larger box (a lot are 190cm / 215cm long) and not having one before I was totally unaware of how far "overhung" the front windscreen you could have them, conscious of the rear tailgate sweep.......there is surprisingly little help online.......reviewing roof box "hire" sites they imply that the Evoque can use any length box ie up to 215cm as the overhang over the front windscreen is not an issue .........I reckon I could get away with 190cm with a "little" overhang ...but in the end played it "safe" with something which is only fractionally longer than the OEM RR item (175cm v 170cm) figuring that should fit....

as you say the OEM rails and box have pre defined mounting points (using small locating pins and holes) but the aftermarket solution is more flexible so I will have to check the tailgate swing that it does not catches....good shout re ability to adjust tailgate raising height but I'm confident I can get it located without catching the tailgate at full open and not overhanding the front windscreen.....looking forward to a trail fitting.......but its too cold for all those shinnanigans at the moment ;-)

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,734 Posts
@Jonttt Once you've found your ideal set up make some subtle marks on the inside of the rails to make it easy to mount in the future :)

I've got the LR rails and bars but haven't used them in anger yet!

FYI Here's an old thread where there's some chat about the location etc.
@CoolBlueWhyte did a useful mod drilling some better located holes for long loads:

·
Registered
2013 L538 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
2,138 Posts
The roof rails and bars are an excellent addition.
They look good when not in use and transform the flexibility and load carrying ability of the Evoque.
Just try getting a bike in the boot without dropping the seats.
Even simple long loads that will not fit inside the Evoque are easily transported :)

Reactions: rawpilot

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #34
Yes I had thought I would keep the bars in the roof box but then realised they can be used without the box Doh!.......so I may keep them in the boot.......I’ve ordered some ratchet straps to secure any ad hoc loads I put on there .............better than my usual SP of dropping read seats, dropping front passenger seat back as far as it will go and it need be strapping the tailgate down partly open......I can use the roof now 😎

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #35 (Edited)
So with continued lockdown I’ve had plenty of time on my hands and thus bored shopping on ebay “bargains”.......some are already with me to be installed, some are on the way.......I’ll be updating this thread with them but for a starter I fitted as Dashcam..........I’ve never really wanted a dash cam but they are an increasingly popular item and one particularly bored afternoon led me to buy one on a complete whim......I then spent ages researching how to install them :ROFLMAO: ........I have loads of pics of the install but did not want to clutter this journal with the install so created a separate thread here:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #36
So a few jobs ticked off on the Evoque today......

Firstly I needed 2 front tyres......these wear much more quickly than the rear ie the 4WD system by default is front biased.......you can rotate the tyres front to back but I never bother and just accept the fact I will have to replace the fronts more often and then next time probably all 4. The car has just about ticked on 18,000 miles......

The car is fitted with Continental but reading various forum posts over the years people recommend the Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S so I thought I would give them a go......I was not in desperate need of them as the current would probably pass an MOT but only just but ideally I wanted new on by mid march when the MOT and JLR service are due ........so I started looking for best prices........once I had my head around the costs it was easier to spot a bargain and eBay came to the rescue again......a seller had 2 sets of 2 tyres (sensible way to sell them) in the perfect spec ie "2 x 245 45 20 Extra Load 103V M+S Pirelli Scorpion Verde A/S Land Rover" ......the bonus being the Land Rover spec as they command a bit of a premium over the none LR spec versions (and are harder to get, most for sale are not).....advertised for £320 delivered with a "make an offer" option..........a bit of back and fro and they where mine for £280..............I have to commend the seller, I had them in my garage 2 days later and they where exceptional well packaged and absolutely genuine still with labels fitted. I had already checked the manufacture dates with him and sure enough they where 2019 so well within the 5 year from manufacture recommended (you have to be careful with old stock tyres that they are not very old and degraded rubber)......

.....next job was to get them fitted.....I'm lucky enough to live near the port where tyres are scrapped / exported all the time.....there are numberous outfits that will sell you part worn tyres as often as you like but the beauty is they will fit tyres for you no problem without the usual premiums the high street nationals charge.......so it was down to the one I new....the guy has been doing it for at least 30 years I have known him and a fresh £20 note later the tyres where fitted and balanced .....

So all in £300 for 2 top spec LR rated tyres fitted...happy with that.....should last another 4 years bar serious punctures..

you gotta love the sign, very covid friendly :oops:

and the finished job.......I couldn't be bothered cleaning off the excess gunk they use.......I'll sort that at the weekend when its hopefully a bit milder again and I may even wash the car by hand :unsure:

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #37 (Edited)
Next up was to rewire my Ctek battery charger permanent connection.......I had connected it to the battery +ve and -ve terminals as there is conflicting advice whether you should do that or to the chassis for the negative......the issue being the car has a built in battery monitoring system (BMS) which constantly checks the voltage / health of the battery and if it gets "worried" it starts to shut down parts of the car (eg electric tailgate) to ensure there is enough charge to run essential things (like start the car) and the get the infamous "Low Battery" warning so many people suffer from in winter without regular use of the car ie when a battery is lease efficient in cold weather and more "stuff" is used in the car when you do use it eg heated seats, lights etc.......so the conflict is if your using an "intelligent" battery conditioner / charger like a CTEK MXS 5 which also needs to monitor the battery do you connect that directly to the battery negative or the chassis ie if you connect it directly to the battery will it "interfere" the the cars BMS but if you connect it to the cars chassis will it be affected by extra resistance in the current and not charge properly?

I had found that when I charged the car with the CTEK connected directly to the battery that after the CTEK indicated a full charge and was removed I still got a "Low Battery" warning inside the car....this stopped after using the car.....this told me that at least initially the cars BMW did not recognise the charge the CTEK had provided to the battery......I then found some internet advice (which always has to be taken with a pinch of salt) that the intelligent battery conditioners work just as well connected to the chassis for negative and don't have to be connected directly to the battery......I guess some supporting logic in that is that you can use them via cigar lighters where they have a permanet live supply.......so I thought I would move the -ve CTEK connection from the battery to the chassis.....there is a convenient bolt just outside the battery box.....

The folllowing picture also shows the Bluetooth Battery monitor I installed in the car.....nb this can be connected directly to the battery to ensure an accurage reading without affecting the BMS....

and with the cover back on showing the CTEK connector.......yes I have a battery cover clip missing...doesn't everyone 😄

I have also purchased a new CTEK as my MSX 5 is on "classic car" duties ....I was just going to get another and then noticed CTEK now have a new range out......I have a feeling these are probably identical to the MSX5 but instead of giving a charge level they tell you how many hours to varying level of charge ie just a differnet way of presenting whats the same charger is doing ? ...a marketing mans dream of the same item for a premium......I was deliberating the man maths of paying c£10 more for the same thing when I dropped on one on for the same price as an MSX5 so I bought it ...with zero man maths needed :cool:....

on first connection, indicates I can start the car but will take c8 hours to full charge ie it could do with a charge.....glad it agrees with the cars BMS :rolleyes:

All sorted to leave overnight....tucked under the wheel arch connected to a waterproof extension socket and pluged in via an RCD......I think of everything until SWMBO just gets in and drives off with it still connected.........I am serious so hence the bright orange extension lead and I've hidden the keys !

I'll update tomorrow how the BMS reacts if at all.

nb re the bluetooth battery monitor...more info on this thread:

and I checked it knows its charging ie reading >13v indicates charging...

the monitor stores 30 days worth of data which is downloaded to your phone when it connects so I could see the charge before my trip out to get the tyres fitted, the variations during the trip and its current charging state...

and it records your last cranking voltage ie ability to start a car

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
Final job of the day on the car was to add a little bling 😎 .....I've always thought the seat control buttons a little out of keeping with the rest of the car and the fact you have to guess a little what they do, especially if you have the full range seats......so covers bought a fitted, 5 min job as they have 3m tape behind and just push fit.....

Boring but functional:

Blinged:

Reactions: XZ4

·
Registered
442 Posts
I have almost identical setup of charger and battery monitor, but being a touch ocd I routed the connector cable inside the corrogated rubber tube you can see in your photo, cable is just long enough that the connector sits just past the end of the tube.

Then bought a Ctek extension cable so the charger sits on the bench (car is kept in garage). You are right to be nervous of SWMBO driving off with charger connected, I managed to do it and drove several hundred meters up the lane before I noticed a strange noise, the extension cable trying to wrap itself under the wheel. Fortunately connector detached at the charger without damage and only replacement extension cable required, I now place a duster over the steering wheel if charging just to remind me not to drive off.
For me the older MXS 5.0 is preferable as it has a dedicated motorcycle setting which I use on our bikes.

And yes I think the monitor is great, just a shame you can't zoom in on the history graphs.

A short ride to the local beach for excercise with a bit of shopping en-route, followed by experiments to determine what does and doesn't use the sim and then back on the charger where it will stay for a few days. :rolleyes:

You might want to keep some of these in your spares tin. :LOL:(y)
20210225_115118.jpg

·
Registered
432 Posts
Discussion Starter #40
:ROFLMAO: Thanks for the link,.........but you did not link to the cheapest ie they are £2.34 and you can get them for £2.09 ....of course I had to order a set now when I was actually quite happy in a fit of anti OCD to have one missing :eek:

Reactions: Col_C
21 - 40 of 54 Posts