Evoque Owners Club banner

21 - 29 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #21 ·
Think a ghost immobiliser is better than a tracker. a tracker can be removed from tracking by just putting a car in a metal container, giving the thieves time to find the tracker or trackers, or rip the car apart for selling of spares.

A ghost immobiliser allows you to punch in a combination of your existing dash/cabin switches to allow starting the car. Cost of ghost immobiliser fitted, starts at around £499 upwards.
Will look into this when car arrives.

·
Super Moderator
9,159 Posts
You don't need the Faraday bags for the newer Evoques, the keys are now anti-relay and switch off.
That’s a good idea! Wonder if an upgrade is possible?

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Ghost immobiliser….

43824173-0BBA-4119-8C93-CDDF6A84449F.jpeg

·
Registered
Spock - MY20 D180 Evoque R-Dynamic SE Santorini Black Pimp-Wagon!
165 Posts
Link is busted .
I think before anybody ditches their faraday bags etc there needs to be definite confirmation.
Preferably from JLR.
🙂
The link is busted unfortunately! :mad: Now the Thatcham site doesn't give any of the previous, useful information and is like every other new webshite: no information, big pictures and lots of whitespace!

However, if you read that thread I took the excerpt from, the next post was by some bloke called PhilB who obviously checked out the link and confirmed that it only applied to the newer 2019+ Evoques: :D

The Thatcham test is for the MY20 Evoque whereas the majority on here probably don't have the "MK2" so are still vulnerable.
The technology that allows the key to "sleep" and not continuously send out a signal that can be grabbed is pretty recent so the majority of Evoques won't have it.
Plus, I would imagine that efforts are well underway to get round this latest technology as always happens.
A "belt and braces" approach even if you have a Mk2 is sensible unless you want to be the first victim when the bad guys have got round the latest tech.

It should also be remembered that this issue is only relevant for cars with keyless entry fitted and active.
I would also trust an independent source like Thatcham over anything said/printed by JLR as they will say anything to keep you sweet, true or not! :rolleyes:

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
The link is busted unfortunately! :mad: Now the Thatcham site doesn't give any of the previous, useful information and is like every other new webshite: no information, big pictures and lots of whitespace!
However, if you read that thread I took the excerpt from, the next post was by some bloke called PhilB who obviously checked out the link and confirmed that it only applied to the newer 2019+ Evoques: :D
I would also trust an independent source like Thatcham over anything said/printed by JLR as they will say anything to keep you sweet, true or not! :rolleyes:
Ah I see.
I thought the link you posted recently was some new information.
I didn't realise it was stuff previously discussed.
Thanks for quoting me and I still stand by what I said previously.
"Plus, I would imagine that efforts are well underway to get round this latest technology as always happens."
How long will it be before they develop tech to send a signal and "wake the keys up" ?
Or how about the two recent thefts of an F-Type and an XE as reported on other forums that weren't the keyless relay method ?
I think to tell people they can throw away their Faraday bags is wrong.
Thatcham won't be sued if someone finds theirs stolen on the strength of their report and them ditching precautions.
JLR can be if they announce their cars are no longer vulnerable to relay theft and one gets nicked.
As I said in the quote, a belt and braces approach is the best way to go.

·
Registered
Spock - MY20 D180 Evoque R-Dynamic SE Santorini Black Pimp-Wagon!
165 Posts
I'm seeing from your response that you have no understanding of how relay theft is perpetrated or the method used to stop it. You cannot send a "signal to wake the keys up". The keys are motion activated so you would need physical access to the key.

Your point about 2 cars still being stolen using other methods has nothing to do with this. A Faraday Cage would not have prevented those as they could have used jamming, man in the middle attacks or indeed just nicked the keys from the house (becoming more common)! Faraday Cages won't stop these or any of the myriad of existing and future methods the scumbags use.

I didn't say to throw away your Faraday bags/cages as if you've bought one already and it fits into your routine then it isn't going to hurt but if you don't have one then there is no point wasting your money buying one as it offers nothing to the later model RR. It's about education and information.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
I'm seeing from your response that you have no understanding of how relay theft is perpetrated or the method used to stop it. You cannot send a "signal to wake the keys up". The keys are motion activated so you would need physical access to the key.

Your point about 2 cars still being stolen using other methods has nothing to do with this. A Faraday Cage would not have prevented those as they could have used jamming, man in the middle attacks or indeed just nicked the keys from the house (becoming more common)! Faraday Cages won't stop these or any of the myriad of existing and future methods the scumbags use.

I didn't say to throw away your Faraday bags/cages as if you've bought one already and it fits into your routine then it isn't going to hurt but if you don't have one then there is no point wasting your money buying one as it offers nothing to the later model RR. It's about education and information.
Yes Nick, you are completely correct as you always are.
I know nothing about all of this so I humbly apologise for daring to offer an opinion different to yours.
It won't happen again.
🙂

Reactions: Yoda

·
Super Moderator
9,159 Posts
Now, now children let’s not start another one! We all have our own views on this - so let’s just agree to differ 😁

·
Super Moderator
9,159 Posts
This topic was close to being locked, which we don’t want.

21 - 29 of 29 Posts