Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 29 Posts

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
??? TRACKER ??? - about to re-order my P300e Autobiography with same dealership but different salesman after first salesman ordered my car wrong. For January order I stayed with the included 1 year secure tracker, but now undecided as below:-
1. Stay with included 1 year secure tracker - if so can I extend via JLR once first year expires.
2. Add 3 year secure tracker to order.
3. Add either 1 or 3 year secure tracker pro to order.
I understand the difference between the two systems, just wondering if it makes a huge difference between insurance costs. I have read that some insurance companies won't insurance you unless you have a tracker fitted. Also having read Giles Coran's rant about the tracker not locating his iPace recently, I am dithering. My car does max 1,500 miles per year, so spends most of its time in my garage and why would my Evoque be targeted when there are soooo many of them on the road, maybe a steering wheel lock instead is the way to go. Experience/opinions appreciated.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
13,493 Posts
The insurance company I was with wouldn't insure my Evoque unless I had a tracker fitted so I changed companies. If my car gets stolen I don't want it back. You don't know what else they've done to it or how they've treated it.

Make sure whichever company you choose includes the pano roof in with the glass cover though.

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
The insurance company I was with wouldn't insure my Evoque unless I had a tracker fitted so I changed companies. If my car gets stolen I don't want it back. You don't know what else they've done to it or how they've treated it.

Make sure whichever company you choose includes the pano roof in with the glass cover though.
Thanks XZ4, I am aware of the pano roof & insurance as I have one on my Disco Sport.

·
Registered
28 Posts
I have the one year subscription that came with the car but my insurance weren’t bothered either way, it was the same price with tracker and without. Personally if my car gets stolen, I’d rather not get it back after the thief’s have smoked a joint in it and gone over speed bumps like there on a roller coaster.

·
Registered
97 Posts
I insure with NFU and they've never required a tracker so I've never had one on any car.
Buy a good Krooklock if you want peace of mind.

·
Registered
491 Posts
I imagine it very much depends where you live and the risk factor the insurance company put on it. I had the tracker for the first 3 years but insurance never asked for it and I doubt it would have made any difference to my premium. The JLR annual renewal cost after the "free" period was WAY too much for me, so I just renewed the InControl Premium at a more reasonable cost. With that you can locate the car yourself anyway ( I guess unless the battery is disconnected).

·
Registered
54 Posts
I had to have the trackers active in both the Evoque and the I-Pace in order to get reasonable quotes. That said, there have been a raft of RR/LR's stolen in this region recently. I have also wondered that if JLR have the ability to activate the tracker, would they do so on a vehicle with no active subscription if requested to do so by the Police? Could they be viewed as aiding and abetting if they refused to activate?

·
Super Moderator
9,159 Posts
A friend had his Merc stolen from his drive early doors yesterday. ANPR traced it heading to Tilbury docks (E Europe or Africa bound) now in a container by now I guess. So I’d suggest a tracker on a £50+k car is a good idea (like a Faraday bag) & not leaving the key by the front door)! Either in a tin, Faraday bag and upstairs with you at night.

·
Registered
491 Posts
As @XZ4 says, do you really want it back after being stolen? May be gap insurance is an alternative and potentially more cost effective. (sad to say)

·
Registered
63 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Have decided to re-order car, with only the 1 year tracker included with build, so will consider GAP insurance nearer the time & possibly a Krooklock.

·
Registered
54 Posts
I wonder if the new Apple AirTags could be used as an alternative Tracker? Whilst I agree with most that I doubt I'd want my car back, I equally don't like the idea that someone gets away with taking it.

·
Vendor
111 Posts
Have decided to re-order car, with only the 1 year tracker included with build, so will consider GAP insurance nearer the time & possibly a Krooklock.
When the time comes, check us out at GAPinsurance.co.uk/Landrover. Forum members save 10% using discount code: EOC10.

If you have any questions about GAP insurance in the meantime, I'd be happy to help.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I took out 2 years GAP insurance out at the time of purchase. Can this be extended when it runs out ? I still have a year left.

·
Vendor
111 Posts
I took out 2 years GAP insurance out at the time of purchase. Can this be extended when it runs out ? I still have a year left.
If it was one of our policies, I'm afraid not.

If it was bought from another provider it's definitely worth posing the question but, it's usually the case that Invoice & Replacement GAP insurance policies are not renewable and can only be purchased within a set period of time after taking delivery of the vehicle - more commonly not more than 6-months.

When you get to the end of an Invoice or Replacement GAP insurance policy, there are two GAP insurance products available in the market which can provide a form of ongoing cover.

The first is one called "Top-Up GAP insurance" and the second is "Retail Value GAP insurance" (aka "Agreed Value GAP insurance").

We sell Top-Up GAP insurance, but don't sell Retail Value GAP insurance.

The difference between the two is:

Top-Up GAP insuranceRetail Value GAP insurance
1-year annually renewable policy​
Usually durations of 1-4 years available​
If your car is written off, this policy aims to top-up the amount you receive from your motor insurer after deductions (excess etc) by 25%, including reimbursing you for up to £250 of motor insurance excess deducted.​
When you buy this type of cover you're told (or at least you should be told) the value of your vehicle at the time of purchase (usually Glass' Guide Retail Value). If your car is written off, this policy then aims to pay the difference between your motor insurance pay-out and the value of your vehicle at the time you purchased the cover.​
Pros: Higher payout in the short term. Renewable

Cons: Relatively expensive for 1yr cover compared to what you'll have been quoted originally for a 3rd year Invoice/Replacement GAP cover. Expensive to keep renewing in the face of a depreciating level of cover.​
Pros: Generally good value over the longer term by way of being able to buy up to 4yrs cover at once. Potential payout increases with the passing of time as your vehicle depreciates away from its value on the day of buying cover.

Cons: Low payout in the short term.​

When deciding which type of cover would best suit your needs, you need to give serious consideration to how much longer you expect to keep the vehicle. E.g. in the short term whilst your vehicle value is higher, a Top-Up GAP insurance policy topping up your motor insurance payout by 25% would potentially return you to a figure higher than the value of your vehicle on the day you purchased the cover - e.g. it'd be a better pay-out than a Retail Value GAP insurance policy.

However... as your vehicle ages and the value depreciates further, that potential 25% top-up depreciates also. So if you ran Top-Up GAP insurance for 1-2 further renewals and then your car was written off, the likelihood is that a Top-Up policy would then be paying you less than a Retail Value GAP insurance policy would and, courtesy of the repeat renewals you'd likely have paid more over time for Top-Up than you would have paid upfront for Retail Value cover.

For this reason, we advise that if you're planning on keeping the vehicle for more than a year beyond the end of your initial Invoice/Replacement GAP insurance policy, Top-Up GAP insurance probably isn't the best option.

Sadly you can't have both :-/

HTH

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Thanks for the info

Reactions: GapInsurance.co.uk

·
Registered
Spock - MY20 D180 Evoque R-Dynamic SE Santorini Black Pimp-Wagon!
165 Posts
A friend had his Merc stolen from his drive early doors yesterday. ANPR traced it heading to Tilbury docks (E Europe or Africa bound) now in a container by now I guess. So I’d suggest a tracker on a £50+k car is a good idea (like a Faraday bag) & not leaving the key by the front door)! Either in a tin, Faraday bag and upstairs with you at night.
You don't need the Faraday bags for the newer Evoques, the keys are now anti-relay and switch off.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
You don't need the Faraday bags for the newer Evoques, the keys are now anti-relay and switch off.
Have you got any reference for that info ?
I heard that the recent RRS passed the "relay" theft due to changes in the keys.
Haven't seen anything concrete about the Evoque so would appreciate a source ref.

·
Registered
Spock - MY20 D180 Evoque R-Dynamic SE Santorini Black Pimp-Wagon!
165 Posts
Yeah, I posted this a while back in another thread:

I think that these keyless ignition "Faraday Cages" are not needed for the Evoque as the system used by JLR is resistant to the relay attack. You can see from here that Thatcham rated the Evoque security as "Superior", it was tested in 2019 so you'll need to scroll down through the latest ones: Consumer Rating Home - Thatcham

It doesn't mean that there aren't other devious ways the professional scrote will steal your pride and joy but a Faraday Cage isn't going to do anything. (n)

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
Link is busted .
I think before anybody ditches their faraday bags etc there needs to be definite confirmation.
Preferably from JLR.
🙂

·
Registered
1,870 Posts
Think a ghost immobiliser is better than a tracker. a tracker can be removed from tracking by just putting a car in a metal container, giving the thieves time to find the tracker or trackers, or rip the car apart for selling of spares.

A ghost immobiliser allows you to punch in a combination of your existing dash/cabin switches to allow starting the car. Cost of ghost immobiliser fitted, starts at around £499 upwards.

1 - 20 of 29 Posts