Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
My first real night time drive over and loving the ambient lighting, mood lighting and the interior generally at night. The only lights that let the side down are the rear courtesy lights in old style tungsten. How easy are these to upgrade to led. What type of bulb do they use and how do you get into the fitting?
Also on another subject, whether you single or double lock with beep the alarm should be set ( but no interior alarm) how can you tell the alarm is operational? Is there a light flashing somewhere. There always has been in other cars I have but can't see it, unless I'm doing something wrong?

·
Registered
102 Posts

·
Registered
497 Posts
Powerful uk have made a series of videos for upgrades to the Evoque. One of which is upgrade to interior lighting which includes boot, rear passenger & footwell lights. Videos are available on their website or on YouTube. They also market a full interior light upgrade kit but it's a bit pricey. Kits are also available on eBay. Hope this helps

·
Registered
707 Posts
I got my set from powerful UK via ebay you get every interior bulb except vanity mirror ones. They are properly the best out there as the bulbs are Osram and wow they don't half make a difference to the look at night. There not cheap though I paid £71 for the set but you get a tool for removing the lens covers as they are quite tricky.

Look at this on eBay http://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/172032538171

·
Registered
96 Posts
As far as I can remember pressing the keyfob twice activates the dead locks.The alarm arms when the car is locked by either a single or double press. It is all explained in the user manual.

·
Registered
192 Posts
I bought a set of LEDs but haven't fitted as seen a few people have issues with removal of the touch sensative centre lights. Are you guys changing these?

·
Registered
102 Posts
^ I changed out the interior touch sensitive lights today, it's a fiddly job so much so I nearly gave up.
Recheck the connections on both the led and the sockets as this is where others may have run into problems. Mine are operational 100% now. Just hope it stays that way. Edited by: xoz

·
Registered
18 Posts
I bought the Osram LED's from eBay and did the full upgrade (except vanity mirrors)

By far the easiest are the front footwell lights followed by the rear luggage light and not far behind are the rear courtesy lights (fairly easy if you watch the YouTube videos). For the fronts you need to get the hang of removing the font covers as it took me around 5 attempts to get all three working again as they should

All in a great upgrade and makes a huge difference at nigh

I will get around to changing the vanity mirrors but these do tend to blow fuses if inserted the wrong way around

·
Premium Member
7,323 Posts
I changed all interior Bulbs - bought off eBay white xenon - cost about £20 tondo all round, easy to fit except the vanity ones which I don't think need done.
Alarm:
Double click, you hear bleep - it's activated.
If it doesn't bleep you can go to menu and activate it on settings X
No flashing lights on inside to show its on I'm afraid!

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #10
Yes I know that bits explained but can't see anything on a tell tell flashing led to confirm the alarm is operational

·
Registered
35 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
Spiderman said:
I changed all interior Bulbs - bought off eBay white xenon - cost about £20 tondo all round, easy to fit except the vanity ones which I don't think need done.
Alarm:
Double click, you hear bleep - it's activated.
If it doesn't bleep you can go to menu and activate it on settings X
No flashing lights on inside to show its on I'm afraid!
Ok question answered, thanks

·
Premium Member
7,323 Posts
We just like to chat I think.......

·
Registered
192 Posts
xoz said:
^ I changed out the interior touch sensitive lights today, it's a fiddly job so much so I nearly gave up.
Recheck the connections on both the led and the sockets as this is where others may have run into problems. Mine are operational 100% now. Just hope it stays that way.
Any tips or guide as to removing the centre touch sensative one?

·
Registered
192 Posts
neil.pass said:
I bought the Osram LED's from eBay and did the full upgrade (except vanity mirrors)

By far the easiest are the front footwell lights followed by the rear luggage light and not far behind are the rear courtesy lights (fairly easy if you watch the YouTube videos). For the fronts you need to get the hang of removing the font covers as it took me around 5 attempts to get all three working again as they should

I will get around to changing the vanity mirrors but these do tend to blow fuses if inserted the wrong way around
Can you elaborate on removing the cover and what issues you had with getting the 3 working?

When people say vanity do they mean the ones in the sun visors? Why are these tricky?

·
Registered
102 Posts
NJ 1161 said:
xoz said:
Recheck the connections on both the led and the sockets as this is where others may have run into problems. Mine are operational 100% now. Just hope it stays that way.
Any tips or guide as to removing the centre touch sensative one?

I used an old credit card squeezed it into the gap, just like the video link above, just kept working it open. A bit of force and it eventually popped open. As always it's what implements and tools you can use or access.
Tip is don't give up, eventually you'll win.

·
Registered
18 Posts
NJ 1161 said:
neil.pass said:

Can you elaborate on removing the cover and what issues you had with getting the 3 working?

When people say vanity do they mean the ones in the sun visors? Why are these tricky?
Taking the cover just takes time using the right tool, I used a credit card but it flexed so moved to a plastic tool for removing tablet screen and that worked fine, start at the middle clip and work outwards as there's a clip at each end. Also remember the covers doesn't come completely off it just hinges so access also add to the complexity. Once I had the old bulbs out the centre one worked fine but both edges wouldn't work until I removed the bulbs and reversed the polarity on them (took me a few goes to work that out)

As for the vanity mirrors (sun visor lights) I haven't done mine but I know they are sensitive to polarity and will blow fuse #51 if they are the wrong way around, considering there's 4 bulbs that's lot of trial and error!

·
Registered
20 Posts
Hi everybody,

I'd better read this topic before doing it!
I've just tried to change my vanity mirrors bulbs by led and.... happened what should happen... just by removing the old bulb, it flashed and now, none of both vanity mirrors are working and even the touch sensitive lights doesn't work.
Only the middle one lights on when I open the doors but it doesn't turn off until I start the engine.

So, I read you mention fuse #51 but in my mind it is related to steering wheel command. Are you sure of the fuse?

I found fuse #57, for interior lights. But if it was blown, my interior lights should not work whereas they all work except vanity mirrors and touch sensitive.
I found also fuse #47 which is "unit command for vanity mirrors", could it be this one?

Thanks for your help !

·
Registered
20 Posts
skygoat76 said:
Hi everybody,

I've just tried to change my vanity mirrors bulbs by led and.... happened what should happen... just by removing the old bulb, it flashed and now, none of both vanity mirrors are working and even the touch sensitive lights doesn't work.
Only the middle one lights on when I open the doors but it doesn't turn off until I start the engine.

So, I read you mention fuse #51 but in my mind it is related to steering wheel command. Are you sure of the fuse?

I found fuse #57, for interior lights. But if it was blown, my interior lights should not work whereas they all work except vanity mirrors and touch sensitive.
I found also fuse #47 which is "unit command for vanity mirrors", could it be this one?

Thanks for your help !
Up please

·
Registered
52 Posts
Hi everybody,

Thanks for your help !

Job's done and I'd better share it with you , cause I see a confusion here.
I just changed the vanity mirrors bulbs into LEDS and no fuse was blown.
The polarity of these diodes does not matter, it is not the cause of failure.
The thing is, that those little bulbs are hold by a metal ring that is probably also grouded.
When you undo the old bulb with the light on, or if you plug the LED bulb with the lamp on, you can make a shortcut of a positive connector to the metal ring.

So, the trick is to manoeuvre this little bulb while the light is off. You can either remove a fuse, or easier is to hold the flap cover in the not fully open position , while replacing the bulb. And nothing happens. It goes in very tight, there is little space there, so make sure you fully engage (slide) the bulb before letting the flap cover open and ingite the diode. Otherwise the wisker of the bulb touches both the cathode and the metal case.

There were more quirks to this process of replacing interior LEDs overall. This is not a comfort job.
The lampshades drop and vanish between the seats, the contacts of the bulbs don't work from the first try, you have to adjust them.
You accidentally swich of the rear courtesy lamp and wonder why this does not turn on or off with the rest of the lights.
Etc, but maybe it's just me.

And the trickest part to me were these three center lights in the front of the ceiling. The lampshades are touch sensitive, and you cannot drop them off completely. And there is little space. You are changing the bulbs, all blinks , but not the one you are replacing. You start all over with adjusted contacts, you get sweat. Finally all bulbs make light, it is back in place , touch switches work again , but ... You close and open the car , and the interior light stays off. You sweat again. Then you remember yourself some youtube video , and you simply swith the Auto Interior Lights back on , by touching the central light for about 10 seconds.

I hope this helps.

T.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts