Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi

My new car is due to be delivered on 2nd June.

Problem is my current insurance ends on 25th May. I will have 10 years NCD.

Should I just insure new car from 25th May (if that is possible) or get 8 days/2 weeks of temporary insurance? What happens to NCD if I go for temporary insurance?

this may be covered elsewhere, will keep looking.

Thanks,
Adnan

·
Super Moderator
7,323 Posts
Hi Adnan.Bit confused there.

Your car insurance ends on 25th May - so you will get your 10 years no claims (or 11 if you already have 10)
Thats the easy bit.....
Your new car gets delivered 2nd June (Hopefully - this may change)......so just insure your car the day before it arrives to start on the day you collect it.
Is it a new car? If it is - Landrover give you free 7 day insurance so you have 7 days to sort your own out.
Why get temporary insurance ? Are you saying you will be driving your old car in that 2 week period?
If so, just renew on 25 May so you are covered and either cancel after 2 weeks (when your new one arrives) or change policy over to new vehicle..... You can take your no claims to another insurer.......and you have 2 year (i think) before you lose it......

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Thanks Spiderman :)

Yes, its a new car. didn't know of 7 day free insurance, thanks.
yes, will be using the old car until I get my new one. I was under the impression any break in insurance and you lose NCD.
Thanks for the info, it helps.

Adnan

Edited by: adnan

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Have you asked your present insurers to quote on the new Evoque and is their quote acceptable? If so and you do not intend to change companies then simply renew your current insurance. Assuming that you are selling, p/xing your current vehicle on the same day as you pick up your new Evoque then your current insurer will effectively cover both vehicles assuming you can only drive one vehicle at a time. I've done this on several occasions with Admiral and Churchill etc with no problems. Bear in mind that the 2nd of June is an LR date and we all know how cast in stone that is.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Hi Adnan

I agree that you should renew/place your insurance on your present car. The fact that it is only 8 days before you plan to change cars is just one of those things. I guess where the calculation comes in is in the small print of your policy, namely the charges your present insurer makes for a) an amendment to your details i.e the change of car insured or b) a cancellation of the policy. I am not sure but think all policies have a 14-day "cooling off" period where you can cancel without penalty so long as you haven't made a claim, and just pay for the few days of cover actually used. This is worth looking into but it may only apply to new policies, not renewal of an existing one, so you might want to consider using a new insurer from 25th May and benefiting from this.

The Land Rover complimentary 7-day cover is worth taking advantage of and the only "catch" is that you have to let them quote you a premium to provide your insurance for the year. Their USP is that they ensure your car is repaired by a proper LR garage using genuine Land Rover parts. I found with a bit of "pushing" that they would agree to reimburse the cost of cancelling your existing policy as part of the deal. If you do end up insuring with a different company they will still reimburse your excess up to £250 under the rival policy provided you ring them first after an accident, when they will provide a free accident aftercare service using LR approved bodyshop and genuine LR parts and arrange a courtesy car too. This lasts for one year after you purchase the car. As with anything like this, check the small print for exclusions.

Remember you can only apply your NCD to one car at a time, so you can't have policies in your name for two different vehicles running at the same time and claim the NCD on both.

This is all my amateur understanding of the possibilities. Hope this gives food for thought, but no liability accepted!

Steve

·
Super Moderator
7,323 Posts
Adnan, don't worry, you won't lose your ncb ....... you can have a break no problem.....some ppl movies are up to a year but most are 2 years before you lose it....
I'd simply renew, take the 7 day insurance and then just either renew with current insurer or take your no claims bonus to new insurer.
When they gave me 7 day free insurance, I just used it as a free "get me home" and swooped insurance once I got home.
As Steve said, you just need to agree to them calling you within the 7 days to give you their quote....they did call me but once they have me the quote I just laffed and politely refused.....
If the search function is back up and working now, do a search on insurance posts, it may help ‘�

·
Registered
653 Posts
Just make sure when you do swap YOUR ins over it's at the same time as the free ins runs out ( dont have 2 policies running on the same car .

I've heard of a guy bought a ford ,done exactly that and had a crash on way home from collecting it when ins companies found Out neither would pay out said to claim on the other .

So get the dates of change over correct ,think mine allowed 24 hours overlap last time

·
Registered
744 Posts
Yes i was told last week when insuring motorcycle they will honour NCD for 2 years.

·
Registered
48 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
Thanks all for all the info, much appreciated.

·
Registered
2,276 Posts
Just thought I'd share my renewal experiences with you:-

Current insurer, Churchill, wanted an increase of £240 despite no claims or convictions. Phoned them up and got increase down to £110.
SAGA undercut Churchill by nearly £200 but sunroof covered under body damage not glass cover.
RAC cheaper than Churchill but again pano roof not covered under glass section so £450 x/s applicable.
NFU eventually quoted over £700, £200 more than Churchill, that's 40 minutes of my life I won't get back.
At the end of the day I'm sticking with Churchill keep my multi car discount and to be honest I've got bigger fish to fry @ present.

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
11,125 Posts
I hate the time it takes to do online quotes then having to look at each one to see what cover has been quoted for. My cousin is an insurance broker so I leave it to him. Doesn't work out much different from online anyway.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts