Evoque Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
432 Posts
I've got the impression that it may be an imbedded sim from talking to the dealer last week. Will find next Monday. Like the idea of Google street view btw. Got to learn about Apple and Android auto now lol
mmmmm Does that mean JLR have doing away with the SIM slot forcing you to use there subscription data service ?.......if so I’d be buying a SIM dongle powered by the USB and use a wifi hotspot (that should be feasible).....or just use you phones wifi hotspot

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
mmmmm Does that mean JLR have doing away with the SIM slot forcing you to use there subscription data service ?.......if so I’d be buying a SIM dongle powered by the USB and use a wifi hotspot (that should be feasible).....or just use you phones wifi hotspot
I'm hoping not the cost of the subscription service after the first year is outrageous compared to the odd 3 sim card.

·
Registered
2,371 Posts
According to the owner's manual for the 21MY there is still a slot for a SIM for connectivity such as we have now for mobile data etc.
I think people should be careful that they aren't getting stung for what looks like an expensive JLR data plan when it may still be possible to buy your own SIM as we can now.
My annual data plan costs me £28 with a 3 SIM which is changed every 12 months.
That's good to know PhilB was starting to worry. So I'll use the free data plan for the first year then back to a 3 sim probably, cheers.

·
Registered
2016 TD4 180 HSE MY17
81 Posts
So, for further clarification. After the 3 years lapsed, your InControl will only work if you pay the small annual renewal fee? Thus if you use Route Planner on the web you can then transfer to vehicle using the 'hidden' sim, right? Without the renewal, you also lose the route planner export option?

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
So, for further clarification. After the 3 years lapsed, your InControl will only work if you pay the small annual renewal fee? Thus if you use Route Planner on the web you can then transfer to vehicle using the 'hidden' sim, right? Without the renewal, you also lose the route planner export option?
That is the situation in the UK and I recall some Aussie members on the XE forum had to pay after the 3 years to keep incontrol (I think it's £35 per year here).
Back in around 2019 JLR did a deal to provide free sims on delivery of the vehicle from a firm called "Ubigi" and there was a lot of aggro as the data allowance seemed to run out very quickly (a few days) for quite a lot of people and of course paying for more data was the only way to keep the things going so not particularly "free".
When I took delivery my dealer had run out of the things but I had a new 3 data only sim (not the free one) which was plug and play and which I have renewed and is still going strong.
As regards the Google Street view in the nav, it's very good but will chew through your data allowance very quickly.
Together with using the car as a WiFi hotspot are the biggest consumers of data.
It would be interesting to find if JLR are still using Ubigi for this initial data plan when the car is new.

·
Registered
432 Posts
I never use the route planner so cannot comment other than there is a current thread about it not working with the current version of android.....
I renewed the incontrol licence for £35 purely so I could use the incontrol app for remote start of the car in winter .....I begrudge paying the £35 as its the type of thing thats free with other marques but its a feature we use a lot so had to stump up

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
I have the free Ubigi sim which was provided with 500mb per month. As I rarely use anything in the car, especially as things are at the moment, this easily last a month.
When I first got the car, I did enable in car Wi-fi, which used the 500mb in a few days, then all the updates were unavailable.
When my 3 years are up, I will not be renewing the Ubigi contract.

Reactions: rencar

·
Registered
432 Posts
500mb is plenty for live traffic and nav to be fair.......use it as a wifi hotspot and the sky's the limit, you are far better off using you mobile phone as one in that case and save the data for nav.......

·
Registered
442 Posts
and to clarify - to get live traffic info on the satnav you need a current subscription of map update (Here) as well as the sim.
But bizarrely you can still upload favourite destinations and/or routes from your pc/phone to the car without the Here subscription. (keep it to yourselves - I suspect that's due to JLR software incompetence rather than any plan)
I've just checked the above and unusually I was still logged in on the car - can't remember the last time it retained loggin for consecutive starts, if the app worked on my Android 11 I'd almost be tempted to subscribe! :LOL:
I'm assuming you would still need the InControl subscription (which I have) so can't test that one way or the other.
And I'm starting to wonder if the RoutePlanner is using the add-on sim or the imbedded?

·
Registered
432 Posts
The routeplanner may I think use the inbuild sim ie not the one you fit as that would be consistant with anything that flows through the JLR servers to comminicate with your car ie how would your phone know to otherwise = must be through JLR servers ?

·
Registered
442 Posts
The routeplanner may I think use the inbuild sim ie not the one you fit as that would be consistant with anything that flows through the JLR servers to comminicate with your car ie how would your phone know to otherwise = must be through JLR servers ?
Sounds logical, agreed it has to communicate via JLR servers, and I guess there are Evoques with the satnav but no sim slot?...............
But I've just tested by removing the sim - satnav won't sync with my Here account so therefore can't update with routeplanner (also no satellite imagery) - it's JLR - don't expect anything logical :unsure: :)

·
Registered
432 Posts
That would imply its your sim then and not the built in car sim :ROFLMAO: ....I guess the logic is the common denominator to identify your car is the nav login therefore the route planner can actually communicate with your car via the nav logging in which does require both an active nav account licence and a your own sim or WIFI connection to your phone hotspot of house wifi

·
Registered
2,870 Posts
When I ran out of data with the cars Wi-fi eneabled, I got no notification in the car of that, but when I tried to check for updates, I kept getting messages telling me it couldn’t connect. I thought there was some glitch as Hmmm had reported issues similar at the same kind of time, but looking back, I’m sure it was because I’d used my data allowance.
I have the Ubigi app on my phone now, so I know what I’ve used at any given time. Now I don’t enable in car Wi-fi, I never get any where near the 500mb.

Reactions: PhilB

·
Registered
432 Posts
Yep that sounds about right as from memory when you first fit a THREE data sim it shows up as working on the little graphic but does not actually work until you change the server settings on the mobile network connection in the cars settings menu......the graphic shows the same ie that the SIM has a signal but then it just works......the best way to test is using the web browser app on the car....connect to the fast.com site and check you speed as well ;-)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Yep that sounds about right as from memory when you first fit a THREE data sim it shows up as working on the little graphic but does not actually work until you change the server settings on the mobile network connection in the cars settings menu......the graphic shows the same ie that the SIM has a signal but then it just works......the best way to test is using the web browser app on the car....connect to the fast.com site and check you speed as well ;-)
Need to be careful as the FREE 3 Sim may need some fettling on the settings to get it to work as you say.
But the "paid for" 3 SIM from Amazon etc doesn't need any change in settings.
Plug it in the slot, switch on mobile data and it links up straight away.

·
Registered
432 Posts
Full instruction on the thread below.....its dead easy when you know how (y)

·
Registered
1,385 Posts
Thanks for the write up.
However, the people using the Free 3 data sims on the XE forums seem to miss out one or two of your steps without any issues.
They get the sim, go online and register it and then put it in the car.
Thread from 2018 when they came out and nobody found the need to do other than plug it in once registered:
Free data sim - Jaguar XE Forums

As it's a data only sim and registered now it activates using the auto select being on so it recognises the 3 network and just auto connects to it as the paid for versions.
Can you explain the difference and why you can't run it on the normal 3 network (default) and why you need to create a new register of "3internet".
Just wondering what the difference is ?

·
Registered
2021 P200 R-Design S Fuji - due May 2021
33 Posts
For the record, this is Dealer supplied Land Rover statement from Defender document

1 Year Data Plan included
We know how important it is for you to stay connected. With Pivi Pro’s Online Pack with Data Plan1, you can enjoy your favourite music streamed from multiple services, including Spotify, TuneIn and Deezer, right through your Land Rover Defender speakers.

WiFi enabled with Data Plan - £440 Option
As passengers, you can all take full advantage of the optional Wi-Fi Enabled with Data Plan2, streaming entertainment with up to 20GB of data per month. Whether that’s browsing their socials, playing online games, or immersing themselves in a movie.

·
Registered
432 Posts
For the record, this is Dealer supplied Land Rover statement from Defender document

1 Year Data Plan included
We know how important it is for you to stay connected. With Pivi Pro’s Online Pack with Data Plan1, you can enjoy your favourite music streamed from multiple services, including Spotify, TuneIn and Deezer, right through your Land Rover Defender speakers.

WiFi enabled with Data Plan - £440 Option
As passengers, you can all take full advantage of the optional Wi-Fi Enabled with Data Plan2, streaming entertainment with up to 20GB of data per month. Whether that’s browsing their socials, playing online games, or immersing themselves in a movie.
If the Data plan included is for 500mb per month then you will eat that streaming music etc......but for basic use eg navigation live traffic and street view of destination then its fine ie we use <60mb per month (nb live traffic is "on" all the time if you have a licence and data connection whether you are actually using nav or not)

THe £440 option is a joke ie you can get a £10/mth Sim from Smarty that gives 30GB per month data allowance (just as an example)....you are better off with one of those for £120 per year if your going to use actually use the wifi hotspot in the car a lot but for most people I would think their own phones data plan would suffice via your mobile phone hotspot if you need it with a SIM backup for normal basic use ........we've been using the free 3 sim with 200mb with zero issues......if we do a SOTA update we do it on the drive with the car connected to the house wifi or again if I could not do that I would just turn my phones wifi hotspot on to do it

·
Registered
432 Posts
Thanks for the write up.
However, the people using the Free 3 data sims on the XE forums seem to miss out one or two of your steps without any issues.
They get the sim, go online and register it and then put it in the car.
Thread from 2018 when they came out and nobody found the need to do other than plug it in once registered:
Free data sim - Jaguar XE Forums

As it's a data only sim and registered now it activates using the auto select being on so it recognises the 3 network and just auto connects to it as the paid for versions.
Can you explain the difference and why you can't run it on the normal 3 network (default) and why you need to create a new register of "3internet".
Just wondering what the difference is ?
I'm gping off memory here so may be wrong but it certainly would not just work in my car.........the problem is the card has to be registered........you can do that by inserting it into a phone etc......but I wanted to do it all in the car (I could not be bothered with the faff of changing sims in a phone) ......but even then I think these data only cards are for some reason where defaulting to the wrong 3 servers in the Evoque......maybe that is an Evoque thing, maybe 3 have rectified that now, or maybe you could always do it but for some reason it would not work in my car ?

Either way you can have 200mb for free which is enough for the basic services the Evoque needs

21 - 40 of 40 Posts