Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 40 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, I bought a used evoque se tech td4 2017 and I’m trying to setup the incontrol vehicle activation, however I keep receiving the automated email stating that it was unsuccessful due to my vehicle having a poor mobile reception.
I have a SIM card in the boot and I can connect to the sim card over the wireless hotspot so I know the SIM card works.
Any help would be appreciated thanks

·
Registered
346 Posts
The in control uses a “hidden” factory sim in the car which comminicates with the JLR servers........it may not be getting a signal where you have it parked.......try whilst at a local supermarket or other location ;-)

·
Registered
60 Posts
Think my sim is in the centre console with the usb thingies

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,699 Posts
Think my sim is in the centre console with the usb thingies
That's not the InControl one as it's 'embedded' in the car.

TCM - Transmission Control Module.

·
Registered
60 Posts
So is the one in the centre compartment for wi fi/data?

·
Registered
346 Posts
Yes, it was in the boot in older models .......you need that for things like live traffic and the in control apps in the car.......or you can use your phones wifi hotspot (but that saps power from your phone)..........the in control app on your phone uses its own internet to communicate with the JLR servers which then communicate with the separate car SIM (as hmmmuk says above its not a physical sim you can remove but imbedded in the car)..........that is “always on” but can go into a sleep mode where it only checks every minute or so (I think, my Volvo one switches off completely if the car is not used for 7 days, not sure about the evoque)...........you there don’t need a sim in the car to use the in control app to communicate with the car for remote start etc......it does however need to have a phone signal for the sim module to work

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Being a luddite I asked my dealer if I can transfer the sim in my current car to the new one when it arrives. Was told that the new car doesn't need a sim and comes with a data plan. Looks like I've got a lot to learn on the new one next week.

·
Registered
2021 P200 R-Design S Fuji - due May 2021
20 Posts
Being a luddite I asked my dealer if I can transfer the sim in my current car to the new one when it arrives. Was told that the new car doesn't need a sim and comes with a data plan. Looks like I've got a lot to learn on the new one next week.
Yes but it's only a one year data plan and there is another option on the configurator that is WiFi with data plan at £440🤑. Not sure what the difference is between the two or whether the latter is to extend to a 3 year plan. After a year, if you do not renew I'm not ablsolutely clear what you lose ie software updates, traffic updates or just a Wifi hotspot in the car. Map updates seem to be a separate thing that last for 3 years. I have more reading to do.

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
According to the owner's manual for the 21MY there is still a slot for a SIM for connectivity such as we have now for mobile data etc.
I think people should be careful that they aren't getting stung for what looks like an expensive JLR data plan when it may still be possible to buy your own SIM as we can now.
My annual data plan costs me £28 with a 3 SIM which is changed every 12 months.

·
Registered
Range Rover Evoque HSE Dynamic MY17 | Black | Black Pack | Smartphone Pack | SOTA | 4WD | Auto
550 Posts
My 3 data plan is free 😏

·
Registered
1,355 Posts
My 3 data plan is free 😏
Good for you.
I didn't like the idea of having to sign up with 3 and get their "free" plan.
1 Gb per month seems to be fine for me.

·
Registered
346 Posts
So far as I know the new models work in basically the same way as the older ones the difference being JLR are pushing their own version of a SIM card for data ie used for live traffic and some of the built in apps .......they actually use very little data in normal day to day use.......you can get a free 200mb monthly data sim from Three that works fine for just this job ........our uses around 60mb per month but we do not use the apps (eg weather, web browser)......if you did ever run out and really needed it eg for nav live traffic then you can always turn on you phones wifi hotspot and connect to that (I don’t like having the hotspot on all the time as it eats phone battery)....

JLR do make it confusing but in simple terms:

- cars built in hidden sim is used for the car to comminicate with JLR servers eg emergency calls / recovery and the remote Incontrol App from your phone (eg for remote start).....that app is free for 3 years then £35 per year (presumably thats not changed)

- your car can then connect to the internet for the in built apps and live traffic and SOTA (software updates over the air)......it can do that by either connecting to a wifi signal (eg your home if you are parked close enough to see your home Wifi or your phones wifi hot spot)......if this is not turned on or it can’t find a registered wifi network in range then it will drop back to using a data sim you have fitted to the cars sim slot......if that is not fitted then you can’t use the apps built into the car or get live traffic

- the nav then has its own licence .......3 years are free and then its £135(ish) for another 3 years (or you can pay c£89 for one year).........to update the maps you need to have a comparable USB drive and download them from a PC to the USB and then plug that into the cars USB slot to update the car ie maps are not updated over Wifi

I presume that all this works exactly the same in v1 and v2 Evoques from what I have read / seen.......does take some getting your head around it

Ps if you use android auto or Apple CarPlay then you are using your phones sim data as they re effectively just a mirror of your phone displayed on the cars screen .....its your phone doing all the processing and data transfer google maps, waze, Spotify etc............therefore you don’t need a sim fitted to the car to use those

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
Thank you guys for your very informative replies. Hopefully there will be a sim card slot somewhere in the new car. Will quiz the dealer when pick it up next Monday. Been using a 3 sim for a few years basically just for traffic updates and satellite view. Certainly wont be paying for JLR's extended data plan, taking the p as usual. Probably have to pay for extended tracker in a years time judging by what's happening with LV= insurancewise lol.
Thanks again, John

·
Registered
346 Posts
No problem.....you’d think JLR could produce a little information sheet explaining the comms side of things better........

You reminded me also that the nav also brings up google earth “streetview” images of your destination with a data connection (ie via your phone wifi or inserted sim) which is pretty neat .....its well worth getting at least one of the free 3 data sims ....there is a recent thread on here on how to set them up as you have to change the default 3 server the sim connects to ;-)...........it looks like JLR provide a sim for you for the first year in the hope people will just subscribe to that in the second etc.......:rolleyes:

Reactions: Yoda

·
Registered
20 Posts
Yes, to echo thanks Jonttt for detailed explanation. I still wonder whether the 1 year data plan is via an embedded Sim or a free Sim card to put in slot. If latter, I wonder if I could avoid activation for 12 months so that I can use up the 12 months I have left on my 24m Three data sim?

·
Registered
346 Posts
I’m not sure as its not something they offered when I got my 2017.......ie I had to get a sim........I presume its a sim just branded something fancy.........update on here when you know or perhaps a v2 owner can confirm ?

·
Registered
20 Posts
Now looked in detail at the Vehicle Brochure and it is an embedded Sim

Also there does not appear to be a Sim Card slot

CONNECT PRO2
Connect Pro consists of 4G Wi-Fi Hotspot, Pro Services and Smart Settings. It’s designed to enhance your in-car and out-of-car experience, ensuring you and your passengers enjoy the journey whilst remaining connected to the world.
4G Wi-Fi HotspotProvides in-car access to the Internet, enabling up to eight wireless devices to be used simultaneously in the car.
Pro Services³
–Real Time Traffic Information:
–Online Routing:
–Planning Routes and Door-to-Door Routing
–Commute Mode:

³Online functionality and Wi-Fi connectivity is dependent on the installation of a micro SIM with suitable data contract. 4G Wi-Fi Hotspot, and Pro Services contain subscription services that can be extended after the initial term advised by your Land Rover Retailer.

:unsure:As clear a mud to me; hunt the Sim Card slot?

·
Registered
433 Posts
- your car can then connect to the internet for the in built apps and live traffic and SOTA (software updates over the air)......it can do that by either connecting to a wifi signal (eg your home if you are parked close enough to see your home Wifi or your phones wifi hot spot)......if this is not turned on or it can’t find a registered wifi network in range then it will drop back to using a data sim you have fitted to the cars sim slot......if that is not fitted then you can’t use the apps built into the car or get live traffic

- the nav then has its own licence .......3 years are free and then its £135(ish) for another 3 years (or you can pay c£89 for one year).........to update the maps you need to have a comparable USB drive and download them from a PC to the USB and then plug that into the cars USB slot to update the car ie maps are not updated over Wifi
and to clarify - to get live traffic info on the satnav you need a current subscription of map update (Here) as well as the sim.

Reactions: Jonttt

·
Registered
2,349 Posts
I've got the impression that it may be an imbedded sim from talking to the dealer last week. Will find next Monday. Like the idea of Google street view btw. Got to learn about Apple and Android auto now lol

·
Registered
346 Posts
JLR sat nav is OK and convenient.......however I use android auto which I find great as I use google maps over many cars and hire cars when abroad.......the live traffic is also more accurate ..... I did not bother subscribing to the maps after the first 3 years ie for year 4 but recently SWMBO has actually needed to use the nav a bit and so I subscribed for another 3 year and updated the maps for her so she has live traffic (she never noticed she did not have it lol).....as clarified above you need a map subscription to get live traffic (and wifi or SIM internet)

1 - 20 of 40 Posts