Evoque Owners Club banner

21 - 40 of 59 Posts

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
......Early next year, though, the Evoque plug-in hybrid will arrive using a three-cylinder engine, a 48V hybrid system and an electrically driven rear axle. The three-cylinder engine alone develops a healthy 197bhp and 148lb ft of torque from 1.5 litres.
I was originally thinking of getting this petrol/hybrid Evoque when it arrives, as I am really missing my old 2.2 diesel Evoque, but the more i look at it, the more complex and possibly prone to faults it may be, being a hybrid. Could be very expensive (buy or lease) plus you have to install a charger at home at cost. I am now thinking more about a secondhand petrol 2.0 Evoque, and forget about hybrids. The MPG might not be great, but I still love the shape and style of the Evoque. Just need the Wife to break her piggybank :D

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Ian sorry to see you go ,good luck with the new car , keep a note of all the members addresses that you pass en route to France so you can plug it in😂 and remember to add some time onto your journey... seriously hope your fully recovered and all the best xx

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Colin, you need to do this, remember you have still not lived down the square wheel arches on your jeep!!!!
I have been considering some bodywork modification, with my tin snips and rubber hammer :ROFLMAO:

·
Registered
1,367 Posts
Re. I-Pace.
Coincidently, yesterday evening on YouTube, Harry's Garage posted a half hour video on living with one.
(For those that don't know, Harry Metcalfe is an 'advisor' to JLR amongst other things)
Some interesting bits...

·
Registered
942 Posts
That was a good watch Hmmm, even went on to watch the RRS P400e one too. He’s good that Harry boy. We’re just not ready for full electric just yet though are we?

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
I just watched that video on the well overpriced Jaguar I pace at £61k and was shocked at the distractions of the screen controls. They tell us its illegal to use mobile phones due to taking your eyes off the road, yet new cars are getting more and more distracting screens that are just as bad. Anyway I ain't got £61k, so no worries LOL.

The panic of finding a charging station, and the correct type of charger and cable socket and trying to actually pay for a charge, really puts one off electric cars.

There is a lot to be said for just going into a garage and filling up with fuel (petrol or diesel) in less than 5 minutes.

·
Registered
1,494 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Hi all.

Thanks for all the good wishes, car and health!
12 weeks after the op and all is going well. Got a chest infection, but managed to throw it off without recourse to antibiotics which was good and bods well for the future.
The Cardiac nurses offer really good advice and support, and remind me that I may feel OK but I HAVE had a very serious operation and total recovery takes nearly a year! If I was still 40 maybe shorter, but at 72....

Now the car.
The car is fine but the dealer - Guy Salmon in Ascot, though very pleasant still suffer the JLR curse!
I specifically asked about software updates and latest maps, and was told they were all up to date. The map is still the original August 2018 version! The car's software is about two behind the newest!
SOTA 'should sort out the software but they 'should' have checked to make sure it was up to date!
As for the maps, I just happen to have the USB stick with the latest maps, as it is exactly the same updating will be no problem, I'll do it on my way to Birmingham for my Jaguar I Pace Experience tomorrow!
Oh the car still thinks it is in Ascot according to the Jaguar Route App! That will take time to sort as I had it happen with the Evoque!!

Colin - are you not being a tad ludditish maybe? Range anxiety isn't really a problem to be honest. 250 miles on a full charge is OK and if I do need to go further then there are an incredible number of apps to sort out a charging point on your route.
Three types of connector, CCS - the fastest, Type 2 - the most common and becoming the standard, and CHAdeMO the plug that Japanese cars sometimes use, but the newest cars either have both or just Type 2/CCS.
Pumps, and they do call charge points pumps by the way, will have a CHAdeMO on one side and a Type 2 on the other.
True you do have to put more thought into your journey, but you get used to it.
It isn't for everyone that is for sure!
As for splash and dash taking 5 mins, I have NEVER managed to fill up my many previous cars in much under 10 mins, from stop to start and that includes 'Pay at Pump'!
Minimum stop and charge time with a super fast DC charger is 25 mins. Time to go and have a pee and buy a coffee from Starbucks! That will net you at least a 100 mile charge range probably more.
Every motorway services now have charging points, and if not on the motorway then councils are installing them, heck Cardiff council have installed some around the city!!

Soon you won't be able to drive into Bristol with any diesel car! This situation is going to spread to other cities.

If you do commute over a regular route, then EV is a realistic answer.
As for the holidays, then with a bit of planning travelling to virtually anywhere in Europe is do-able!
If you fancy visiting Holland or Germany then absolutely no problem and you will be frowned upon driving a fossil fuel car!
Eco mode does not turn much off, certainly not the wipers or lights and not the radio or heating, but maybe the A/C though.
You won't have heated seats or steering wheel!
On the subject of the LED lights, wow they are good!

Charging at home is a doddle, and if you precondition the battery towards the end of the charge you do get a real add mileage bonus.
The battery likes to be 25ºC, cold mornings as of late do restrict your range, but warming it up before you leave really helps the range.

Costs.
I got a very good trade in with the dealer after I told them how much 'Webuyanycar' had offered!

The real benefit is both with running costs, about half that of a fossil fuel car, and servicing, wiper blades and possibly brake pads, but with 'regenerative' braking using the brakes is amazingly reduced!
The long drag down the M4 from Chippenham towards the M32 junction to Bristol towards Cardiff gave me 3.5Kw into the battery! To put that into perspective, that is just over 1 hour charging using the 13amp plug at home!

i've obviously keen but I do see it in a positive light for many reasons, running costs being just one of them.
My electricity at home in Cardiff is ALL wind power and the like, that it what E.On do guarantee to me! we have enough wind turbines up the valleys for me to believe that's true!

Petrol vehicles have CO2 and a small amount of NOX emissions, diesels far less CO2 but troublesome NOX that create problems.
Mild Hybrid is pretty rubbish! No grant as it can't drive on electric for any distance, Plug in Hybrid, well one that does 19 to 35 miles really cut it?
Sorry Maffy, but it is a bit half hearted, and I do understand that your driving requirements is unpredictable, which would give you a few headaches going to Spain or Germany at short notice I grant you!
Not impossible, but not what you really want right now.
In 2-3 years it won't be a problem, super fast chargers, 20 mins or less for 100Kw and an effective range of 300 miles.
Charge points as common as fuel stations, both motorway and supermarkets.
Lidl have started installing them!

Photos of the car coming shortly!

Best

Ian

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
We also have wireless induction chargers coming this spring, all new EV's have wireless charging capabilities while older models can easily be retro modified apparently

·
Registered
942 Posts
I just watched that video on the well overpriced Jaguar I pace at £61k and was shocked at the distractions of the screen controls. They tell us its illegal to use mobile phones due to taking your eyes off the road, yet new cars are getting more and more distracting screens that are just as bad. Anyway I ain't got £61k, so no worries LOL.

The panic of finding a charging station, and the correct type of charger and cable socket and trying to actually pay for a charge, really puts one off electric cars.

There is a lot to be said for just going into a garage and filling up with fuel (petrol or diesel) in less than 5 minutes.
Colin, that one was way more costly as it was specced up, think it was £87k, gulp!!!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
Theres some on autotrader for 100k....wtf!

·
Registered
97 Posts
For sale with a screen price of £100k... but.. will they sell at that price..... probably not ... still they are potential robbers, and those that buy for that price are dim flob-a-lobs with too much money than sense!!

·
Registered
1,494 Posts
The one for 100k is 80 something plus vat, the others are just 80k no mention of vat, looks like 80k gets you a top spec one

·
Registered
581 Posts
Discussion Starter #35
The HSE I Pace on the road price is £75K. To be honest it comes pretty well specified.
Mine is an early 2019 SE. For £52K it has the Panoramic roof, 20" rims, the rest is SE normal bits , No HUD, heated seats, but I do have the heated steering wheel!
To be honest it 'feels' better built than the Evoque but not by much.
Teslas have a reputation for bad finish, panel gaps and tacky interior plastics.
I know reliability isn't a JLR strong point, but whilst I was looking at an I Pace in Droitwich, three Teslas on breakdown trucks passed the showroom to the Tesla dealer! The salesman did say that was exceptional, but commented that at least one passed them to the dealer every day.

Driving a Tesla is fine, but the Jaguar is quieter inside.

As for the dash, it is very much the JLR standard these days. Drive a new Evoque and then get into an I Pace and it looks and feels the same.
If you don't like that, then to be honest your next car will have to be a Morgan!!

Best

Ian

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
An electric super 7 .... perish the thought😂

·
Registered
7,428 Posts
Whoops that’s a LOTUS ,

·
Registered
1,701 Posts
Too much new giszmo's in cars nowadays.......In the 1980's I thought i was in luxury, with a new fangled rear screen demister on my Ford Cortina, ah, those were the days where gadgets were actually worthwhile (along with the fluffy dice) :D

21 - 40 of 59 Posts