Evoque Owners Club banner

41 - 60 of 63 Posts

·
Registered
MY20 P300 HSE R-Dynamic
91 Posts
I have the same ictp info as rencar and latest maps and alerts set in nav.

·
Registered
MY20.5 Range Rover Evoque (L551) First Edition P250 in Nolita Grey on a 70 plate
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #42 ·
What’s annoying for me is it used to work and now doesn’t. No idea why either.

Im not sure the dealers will know what it is either. Can’t find anything on Topix.

I can imagine the conversation with the dealer - going through it all and then there aren’t any cameras near them they can check it with!

And a three month wait for an appointment with no loan car! Perhaps I’ll just live with it.

·
Registered
P300e MY2021 Nolita Edition, Seoul Pearl Silver, Nolita Grey roof, sliding sunroof, Cloud , towbar
65 Posts
Here in the Netherlands a lot of people use Flitsmeister. An app on your mobile with CarPlay. It alerts you for speed cameras, even mobile cameras with the use of the community. It also alerts you for traffic jams roadworks etc. It's, at least here in the Netherlands, a lot more accurate as the Landrover alerts. I saw that it's now also supported in the UK. I use it for many years and saved me quite a few speeding tickets.

Maybe an alternative?

·
Registered
MY20.5 Range Rover Evoque (L551) First Edition P250 in Nolita Grey on a 70 plate
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #44 ·
My issue really is more, why has it stopped working for some but not all!

·
Registered
EVOQUE 2020 1st Edition
14 Posts
My issue really is more, why has it stopped working for some but not all!
I have same versions of s/w as rencar and the following is some observations from today. I travelled from Penrith to Stoke via M6 and A500. Set route, speed camera audible notifications around Lymm and Knutsford all working fine. Cancelled route speed cameras audible notifications around Congleton and Sandbach and average speed camera audible notifications on A500 were all working with No route set!!!!! All these are newish cameras last 18 months. On return journey no route set, speed camera on A50, been there for years no audible notification. Got back on M6 still no route set all giving audible notifications. Seems some problem with the map/camera database.

One final point at start of my journey I had to login to the navigation software as I had been logged out.

·
Registered
MY20 P300 HSE R-Dynamic
91 Posts
Did you have the map displayed on either the main display or driver info panel? Even without a planned route?

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
Checked my app version….

2019BX.3-9209

Reactions: CaptainNick

·
Registered
EVOQUE 2020 1st Edition
14 Posts
Did you have the map displayed on either the main display or driver info panel? Even without a planned route?
A combination of both, but mostly map displayed on driver info panel. All speed cameras visible.

·
Registered
Spock - MY20 D180 Evoque R-Dynamic SE Santorini Black Pimp-Wagon!
165 Posts
@DKZ5745 @rencar So we all have the same firmware, software and map versions. (y)

@mgrolys That's some interesting information, do you know if it alerts for the old A50 cam when a route is set? Were you approaching any of these cams over the speed they are set to?

It doesn't make any sense as to why some cams would alert and not others unless Here Maps has an Active/Inactive marker on the cams? The odd thing is though, if assuming it thinks a cam is Inactive, why does it then alert if a route is set? The cam information is the same with and without a route as it is using the same database so the only certain difference is with a route, the car knows where you are intending to go. I'm wondering if because there are junctions before the cam it can't be certain you will pass it so doesn't warn you? It should still warn after passing the last junction before if you ask me but maybe the vehicle is now too close. :unsure:

I think we need to do some testing. I need to find some more cams and do multiple passes to determine if I can get any to alert. With and without route set and above and below the limit.

·
Registered
3,260 Posts
I seem to remember a few weeks ago passing a speed camera (but I can’t remember where it was) and I didn’t get a notification. On the other hand, there are a couple of cameras near me that have been removed (maybe @ 1-2 years ago) and I still get alerts for them despite having the latest map update. I assume this is all to do with the camera database rather than a software error, which appears to be the cause of the problems members are experiencing.

·
Registered
EVOQUE 2020 1st Edition
14 Posts
@DKZ5745 @rencar So we all have the same firmware, software and map versions. (y)

@mgrolys That's some interesting information, do you know if it alerts for the old A50 cam when a route is set? Were you approaching any of these cams over the speed they are set to?

It doesn't make any sense as to why some cams would alert and not others unless Here Maps has an Active/Inactive marker on the cams? The odd thing is though, if assuming it thinks a cam is Inactive, why does it then alert if a route is set? The cam information is the same with and without a route as it is using the same database so the only certain difference is with a route, the car knows where you are intending to go. I'm wondering if because there are junctions before the cam it can't be certain you will pass it so doesn't warn you? It should still warn after passing the last junction before if you ask me but maybe the vehicle is now too close. :unsure:

I think we need to do some testing. I need to find some more cams and do multiple passes to determine if I can get any to alert. With and without route set and above and below the limit.
If route is set the camera on A50 notifies as I passed this one a couple of weeks ago when I was heading to Manchester. All cameras on M6 and A500 I was under the speed limit. I shall continue to do some more testing on my travels.

·
Super Moderator
9,159 Posts
Checked mine yesterday. I have the map on the dash between the speedo & rev counter. No route logged in and I got warnings for ave speed cameras.

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
New map update available
I would think the first course of action for anybody who is bongless is to upload the new map and see if it now works.
If not then that eliminates the map being at fault.
🙂

Reactions: rencar

·
Super Moderator
9,159 Posts
Or adhere to the speed limit then you don’t need to worry about being bongless 😁

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #56 ·
I also keep the map showing on the dash between the two instrument panel dials - but I get no alerts at all (unless I'm navigating a route, which is rarely).

Just spent hours this morning doing the 33Gb latest map update, so once I get that loaded and I pass by a camera, I'll feed back.

The thing is I never speed anywhere, but a feature I had (audible alerts whilst driving), have just gone! All very annoying.

Reactions: PhilB

·
Registered
165 Posts
I would think the first course of action for anybody who is bongless is to upload the new map and see if it now works.
If not then that eliminates the map being at fault.
🙂
We've eliminated the maps already as we're all running the same maps (and software/firmware) yet getting different results.

·
Registered
165 Posts
I have an update after some testing.

I noticed that when a route is set, the speedcam in town is pictured as a camera on a white background with a red band around it in a similar way to UK road signs. With the map on just the dash or up on the main screen as well, I get a bong followed by a pop up message warning of the cam in 580 yards and the distance counts down as I progress. Message disappears after a few seconds I believe.

The same speedcam without route set appears on both maps but the icon is without a red circle. No bong or message. I think (but can't confirm for definite) that at the 600 yard point where the message would appear that the car is not certain that I will pass that cam so does not see it as a threat. This is because there are 2 large junctions between the warning point and the cam.

I tested this with a different cam. I went down the A46 which is dual carriageway with a B road crossing over that has a cam before due to accidents. I had a route set past the cam and approached under the limit. The cam appeared on the map with a red circle around it, warned at 600 yards with bong and message. I repeated the test with no route set and approached as before under the limit. I only had the dash map on and the cam appeared as before with a red circle around, bong and message at 600 yards. There is no junction between the warning point and cam so it knows you will pass it and warns!

If my supposition is correct then the issue stems from there being no second warning point at say 50 yards from the cam when the likelihood of a junction is massively reduced and the cam becomes a definite. I'm guessing JLR didn't want too many warnings but I'd like to be given the option in the menus, e.g. "Warn for all cams".

However, we've not determined yet if I am correct as it could be specific cams act differently or the database knowing which cams are active or not too? @rencar Without a route, does your cam that doesn't warn have a red circle around it and is there a junction before? @DKZ5745 what about yours that do alert?

·
Registered
1,498 Posts
One final point at start of my journey I had to login to the navigation software as I had been logged out.
That has been an issue for quite a while and apparently there's a new software version coming soon "21" which has the signing in and out problem as one of the fixes.
Hopefully..................................😉

In any "experiment" it's always good to have a control sample.
The speed and ATS camera notification have always worked on mine.
It should be a double bong/beep not a single.
Speed of the car wasn't relevant as it notified static traffic light cameras as well.
My maps hadn't been updated for probably 6 months so I have an older map.
Infotainment software is up to date on the latest version.
It didn't matter if any map was displayed or any route set - it still worked.
I have several fixed speed and ATS cameras which I drive past regularly and consistently give me the double bong.
The warning isn't always at the same place - it can vary by a few yards so probably running off GPS.

Another possibility for those having issues is a software problem that is ignoring the traffic camera box being ticked on the nav settings ?

·
Registered
729 Posts
Discussion Starter · #60 · (Edited)
Well I've had a bit of a breakthrough on my drive to work today and I do wonder if different types of speed cameras are the issue here?

Due to lockdown, my only experience over the last few months is passing a couple of fixed speed cameras in a 30mph section of road. Neither have alerted me unless I'm navigating a route. I'm certain they used to when I first got my car.

I did the latest map update yesterday whilst the car was parked on the drive. Today, and as above, I thought I better do a bit of a test and drive along a stretch of A road not far from my route to work. This section of road has numerous average speed cameras.

Lo and behold as soon as I neared the first camera (and with no navigation route set), I heard a double beep and the average speed camera message was shown. The same applied as I approached each camera. I then turned around and travelled in the opposite direction with a navigation route set and it correctly alerted.

My problem here is that I hadn't travelled this stretch of road for ages, so it's difficult for me to know if the map update has actually changed anything (or perhaps a previous one did), or just the criteria of what type of camera affects whether I get an alert driving along without navigation.

The next step will be to check what happens when I pass the couple of fixed cameras in the 30mph sections, to see if anything has changed with regards to alerts with those.

CaptainNick - I noticed that the speed cameras in the average speed section were all red ringed on the map with the speed camera sign. There were no junctions before the average speed cameras I passed. The fixed ones in the 30mph sections (which I've yet to drive past to test), have a couple of small side roads nearby, but no junctions.

I'll report back further once I've done some more testing, but at least I know the double alert is working on one section I've travelled without a route set.

Reactions: mgrolys and PhilB
41 - 60 of 63 Posts