Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Administrator
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
With JLR washing their hands of my Map update failure issue their update has caused, I was left needing to fix it myself.

Bit of research on the 2011-2016 Evoque Nav System, determines the Maps are stored in the IAM module.

This contains the CD player and the NAV system, and is where all the Audio and Dab and GPS connects up.

The IAM is a box module with a CD slot, so unsurprisingly it sits behind the upper front console where the CD player is.

So E-Bay £60 found an IAM similar spec number to mine although a little bit younger.

Removal of the console is very easy, Made even easier by Powerfuluk's video, you can see the IAM in this video (the silver box in the dash when the console is removed)

2 T20 screws in the storage area and the console lifts up from the rear, remove 2 (Manual) or 3 (Auto) Connectors before fully lifting. In my Manual its a bit more awkward if like me you couldn't be bothered to remove the gear knob (See a thread on that I did if you want to), but put it in 4th and the console will rotate 90 deg to gain access to the IAM.

Picture of the IAM in situ
Automotive design Personal luxury car Automotive lighting Vehicle Font

2 more T20 screws and the IAM module pulls forward enough to Access the myriad of connector types, all of which have a tab you push in and then pull out the connector.

Reconnect the new, slide it back in carefully not crushing any wires. Reconnect the console and test.

No coding required, it took 4 mins for the GPS to locate it's new position, and hey presto My Nav is working again.

Now to test everything else incase this IAM had other issues...

Then... do I dare try to update!?!

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
3,874 Posts
I'm think I would try playing with the original module first before trying the replacement one now you know that works. Painful as everything takes so long!

·
Registered
2013 L538 2.2 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
2,597 Posts
Well done Phil, great write up.
Good to hear that you are all up and running.
Can you leave the car powered up while the update happens somehow, so there is no disturbance? If so go for it.
Surely the last failure of the module must be coincidental, is it likely that a CPU updating causes it to fail.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
3,874 Posts
@CoolBlueWhyte wouldn't that mean having the engine running though to stop the system shutting down after 10 minutes (even if on charge)? Unless having a charger plugged in stops the shutdown? I've never seen that discussed...

·
Registered
2013 L538 2.2 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
2,597 Posts
No not having the engine running, I wondered if the ignition was on and a diagnostic tool plugged in to the OBD port it may suspend the shutdown.
As you suggest probably also need a trickle charge to maintain battery voltage.
Either that or a drive to Scotland and back :unsure:

·
Administrator
3,301 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Having tested it all, seems to be A1 working state again!

USB Music working, DAB working, Nav working (Had to delete previous owners locations), and Phone Working (Having deleted 2 i-phones and added my Android)

Really quite amazed how easy this was to resolve, taking me 8 weeks messing with JLR for no outcome, against 3 day waiting for my £60 e-bay order to arrive from the breakers. and 30 mins to fit, and an hour messing with settings and menu's.

Still not dared to update... think I may wait till i have a near 3 hour journey so it does it in one, since the update was going well until I switched off and on again

1 - 7 of 7 Posts