Evoque Owners Club banner

21 - 26 of 26 Posts

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #21
Is it 2.5 yeara already since we got the evoque.......time flies......

I thought it worthwhile giving some updates which others may fund useful, in no particular order......

- the car itself has been brilliant and we have all enjoyed it. It is to be fair only just run in on 11,000 miles in c30 months of use but that is what it was bought for ie a nice, small luxury SUV for local trips including the school run. to that end it has been faultless. I drive it rarely but I like it when I do and still like the look of it parked on the drive, even compared to the newer facelift model that is out now.

- the multimedia interface is still pretty rubbish compared to other marques. It has the newer InControl Touch Pro interface but approximately 10% of the time it takes so long to boot up we have reversed out of the drive and are on our way before you can either put the heated seats on or even use the reversing cameras. The nav has an annoying habit of wanting you to sign in all the time, and little randon glitches still happen eg the other day I could not swap the seat diagram to change which one I wanted to heat.

- the dual view screen is a waste of time. It gives a slightly lower resolution than standard and we never use it, ipads are the plaything of choice.

- I took out the £500 3 year scratch insurance as this is SWMBO daily and well she needs it (I know thats not PC to say but it is a fact). It worked brilliantly year 1 for a couple of minor scuffs to the front bumper. You can make 3 seperate claims a year so I sort of save them up to make 3 at once. I put cliam in which was accepted back in May for x3 front bumper scuffs and am still waiting for it to be done. A combination of bad weather, injured repairers and inaptitude from the sub contracted supplier have resulted in my making complaints under insurance prodcut legislation. Fundamentally the insurance has / is worht it (and that from someone who never usually takes out any insurance he does not legally have to), I think the issue is they just can;t cope with the demand and are fully booked all the time. I have just got a date today for the repair to happen at the end of the month, fingers crossed it does not rain in the UK which lets be honest is pretty rare, sigh.

- the 2 year servicing (pretty standard now on most cars) is a blessing which was a factor in buying the car in the first place. That has been great but its good (not) to see that Range Rovers customer service is as dire as always, at first it took them 2 days to even accept the car existed to "put it on their system" to book in the service. however I had been having an issue with service reminders constantly coming up on the display when they where clearly not due eg after < 12 month and 7,000 miles when it should be 24 month / 20,000 miles. I remember commenting on this to them and got no reply. Anyway the car was serviced on 24 months / 8,000 miles at a reasonable cost with no issues flagged up. (see comments later).

- I love the fact that the nav has built in speed camera warnings, something my c£100k BMW is totally incapable of ! You don't even need to fudge that as I had to in my 2015 Vogue, its just there.

- the active drive is ace, SWMBO never touches any buttons other than volume and seat heating but I put it in active drive mode whenever I drive it.

- the cabin is still a very nice place to be even compared to much more expensive cars

More on the service issues of premature service warnings.........I had not been on this site for some considerable time until recently and was more than a little annoyed when I read about the issues with premature servivce intervals and engine oil dilution, seemingly suffered by cars that do not do many "long trips" ie >60 min / 60MPH for extended periods ie my car which is used daily but for trips averaging 6 miles and 20 minutes. The fact I had a) suffered these premature warnings and presumably therefore oil dilution and b) told Range Rover the same back in March when the car had its 24 months service ie after it was a known problems and yet they chose not to tell me anything about it. I have checked and the VIN of my car is elligible for the free oil / filter changes on the warning even though I do not have the service pack on the vehicle. Further on checking Topix my car is eligible for 2 software upgrades :

N289 – service required earlier than expected

N377 – Incontrol Pro touch Update (which addresses bugs and adds Apple Car Play / Android Auto)

Now so far as I can see these where available when the car went in for its service and yet they did not install them !

To say I am totally fed up with car manufacturers taking the p!55 is an understatement. If they are not lying to you about emmissions then they will lie to you about something else and think thats OK.

So I phoned up my local dealership ie where it was serviced 6 months ago and yep, they could not find the car on the system......you seriously cannot make up the total incompetance of Range Rover customer service experience...."we will have to phone you back when we find the car", sure enough they phoned me back to inform me they had now found the car, what joy that brought to my day!

"so what do you want to book it in for"

"N289 and N377 software campaigns to be installed please"

"have you had THE letter"

"what letter"

"ah......"

"look I know the car is due two software updates both to fix problems with the car"

"ah but we can't.........."

"stop there!, yes you can"

"but is there a problem with the car?"

"Ok, I turn it on, reverse onto a busy road in the middle of winter, I get 2 miles down the road and then the screen starts to work, no reverse cameras, no seat heating....is that a problem or how you designed it ?"

"ah, you have a problem"

"and...... through no fault of my own you have decided not to tell me that my car has a tendancy to dump fuel into the oil diluting it so much that the engine may sieze. I have to remind you that I have already suffered one range rover engine siezer in a 15,000 miles Vogue doing 70MPH (ish) on the outisde lane of the M6 2 weeks after its first service, it was not a pleasant experience and yet you thought you would play with MY life again....thats a problem for me which N289 won;t actually fix but it will more accurately tell me when it may do it"

"right Mr XXXXX we'll get you booked striaght in"

You seriously could not make this crap up......so the car is booked in for a "free" software update in a couple of weeks....... whats the chances on it being bricked lol

On a more positive note I thought I would take my life in my hands (ie the risk of taking SWBMO ride off the road) and update the nav software. So far it has gone to plan in that I have got the new maps ready to plug into the car on USB. They did take about 4 hours to download and prep the USB drive but I have as yet actually plucked up the courage to plug it into the car.........I'll leave it to the weekend when the car is not actually needed as much lol

So thats my 2.5 year update, things have not changed at all with Range Rover.......awesome cars with the ownership experience ruined by a combination of crap customer service and a tendancy of them not to do what they should.

·
Registered
1,269 Posts

·
Registered
581 Posts
Is it 2.5 yeara already since we got the evoque.......time flies......

I thought it worthwhile giving some updates which others may fund useful, in no particular order......

- the multimedia interface is still pretty rubbish compared to other marques. It has the newer InControl Touch Pro interface but approximately 10% of the time it takes so long to boot up we have reversed out of the drive and are on our way before you can either put the heated seats on or even use the reversing cameras. The nav has an annoying habit of wanting you to sign in all the time, and little randon glitches still happen eg the other day I could not swap the seat diagram to change which one I wanted to heat.

More on the service issues of premature service warnings.........I had not been on this site for some considerable time until recently and was more than a little annoyed when I read about the issues with premature servivce intervals and engine oil dilution, seemingly suffered by cars that do not do many "long trips" ie >60 min / 60MPH for extended periods ie my car which is used daily but for trips averaging 6 miles and 20 minutes. The fact I had a) suffered these premature warnings and presumably therefore oil dilution and b) told Range Rover the same back in March when the car had its 24 months service ie after it was a known problems and yet they chose not to tell me anything about it. I have checked and the VIN of my car is elligible for the free oil / filter changes on the warning even though I do not have the service pack on the vehicle. Further on checking Topix my car is eligible for 2 software upgrades :

N289 – service required earlier than expected

N377 – Incontrol Pro touch Update (which addresses bugs and adds Apple Car Play / Android Auto)

Now so far as I can see these where available when the car went in for its service and yet they did not install them !

To say I am totally fed up with car manufacturers taking the p!55 is an understatement. If they are not lying to you about emmissions then they will lie to you about something else and think thats OK.

So I phoned up my local dealership ie where it was serviced 6 months ago and yep, they could not find the car on the system......you seriously cannot make up the total incompetance of Range Rover customer service experience...."we will have to phone you back when we find the car", sure enough they phoned me back to inform me they had now found the car, what joy that brought to my day!

"so what do you want to book it in for"

"N289 and N377 software campaigns to be installed please"

"have you had THE letter"

"what letter"

"ah......"

"look I know the car is due two software updates both to fix problems with the car"

"ah but we can't.........."

"stop there!, yes you can"

"but is there a problem with the car?"

"Ok, I turn it on, reverse onto a busy road in the middle of winter, I get 2 miles down the road and then the screen starts to work, no reverse cameras, no seat heating....is that a problem or how you designed it ?"

"ah, you have a problem"

"and...... through no fault of my own you have decided not to tell me that my car has a tendancy to dump fuel into the oil diluting it so much that the engine may sieze. I have to remind you that I have already suffered one range rover engine siezer in a 15,000 miles Vogue doing 70MPH (ish) on the outisde lane of the M6 2 weeks after its first service, it was not a pleasant experience and yet you thought you would play with MY life again....thats a problem for me which N289 won;t actually fix but it will more accurately tell me when it may do it"

"right Mr XXXXX we'll get you booked striaght in"

You seriously could not make this crap up......so the car is booked in for a "free" software update in a couple of weeks....... whats the chances on it being bricked lol

On a more positive note I thought I would take my life in my hands (ie the risk of taking SWBMO ride off the road) and update the nav software. So far it has gone to plan in that I have got the new maps ready to plug into the car on USB. They did take about 4 hours to download and prep the USB drive but I have as yet actually plucked up the courage to plug it into the car.........I'll leave it to the weekend when the car is not actually needed as much lol

So thats my 2.5 year update, things have not changed at all with Range Rover.......awesome cars with the ownership experience ruined by a combination of crap customer service and a tendancy of them not to do what they should.
Great post!!

the multimedia interface is still pretty rubbish compared to other marques. It has the newer InControl Touch Pro interface but approximately 10% of the time it takes so long to boot up we have reversed out of the drive and are on our way before you can either put the heated seats on or even use the reversing cameras. The nav has an annoying habit of wanting you to sign in all the time, and little randon glitches still happen eg the other day I could not swap the seat diagram to change which one I wanted to heat.

Totally agree, its like it has valves that need to warm up!!

And they'll change the spec to keep you quiet!

Downloading can take forever as it is a byte by byte procedure. It is like this to check for errors.

Loading it into the car takes about 20 mins sometimes less. You can go for a drive while it is loading, that keeps the engine running and you are getting somewhere!
I tried to load it with the the IGN ON and battery on supply but it still times out and shuts down. I knew it was going to do this and was ready to switch the IGN ON as soon as it went off!
The time out is about 12 mins.
Driving is easier!
It is very straightforward believe me, menu led.

Best

Ian

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
Thanks for the update :)
Shows it's worth visiting this forum if you are an Evoque owner.

For those stumbling across this post - see my previous thread on Oil Dilution:
https://www.evoqueownersclub.co.uk/forum/53-ingenium-engine/12255-early-service-oil-dilution-jlrp00100.html

On the plus side - it's good/interesting to see your DPF hasn't had problems considering your "driving style".
Lots of people need the early oil change(s) but not that many people are posting about DPFs.
yep it was well worth logging back on ;-) I am very active on other car forums for my hobby cars but the dailies get a bit neglected.

lol My driving style probably accounts for 500 miles of the total it has driven, believe me it is driven slower than Miss Daisy the rest of the time by SWMBO......despite that she still manages to pick up bumper dings on a regular basis, her attitude is they are there to be used !

Update on the Scratch insurance......they have now offered me a £50 goodwill cheque (I've already had one £25 cheque off them).....I've told them they can keep it until after the car has actually been repaired as my "claim" may be for much more than that (I'll be after the full £500 back soon).......I think its fingers crossed on their part it does not actually rain on the 31st October.......They have blamed a "spike" in demand. I've told them they are having a laugh, if one of my businesses had a "spike" in demand for 6 months! and they had not done something about the obvious real problem of lack of resource to actually meet demand then heads would be rolling.......how do these people actually run a business and where do they get their customer service training from !

·
Registered
1,434 Posts
31st October is Brexit day, you can't possibly have it repaired on that day as they'll need proof the dings and scratches were caused within the UK and not elsewhere in the EU

·
Registered
16 Posts
Discussion Starter #26
time for an update:

- the car went into my local Range rover dealer for the software updates (emissions and media interface). All went smoothly in that the car works the same afterwards lol. time will tell re the emissions warnings for oil dilution and I did not notice any difference re the media interface. To be fair I have not really driven the car since (its the Mrs daily) so not checked if Ipod / android car play is now available.

Re the scratch insurance first claime dback in may and due for its 3rd call out repair on the 31st October......we the repairer turned up as planned / booked.....to then inform me that as each of the areas to be repaired on the front bumper require slight filling and blending in, it would be better for the whole bumper to be repainted. He confirmed this would still be covered under the policy as each area is within the tolerances but.......he would not have time to do it as its a days job and he gets allocated 6 jobs per day.........you seriously cannot make this madness up. He was a nice enough guy frustrated that they do not get to see the pics submitted with the claims as he would have known from them that it needed a day allocating to the repair. I asked him how busy he was as it seemed to take months to get a new booking and he said they are not that busy as some days not all booking slots are taken......hmmmmmm

So its now been over 6 months since I first made the insurance claim and I still do not have a date for a repair. I've lost patience now and so have made a formal complaint to the FOS and will be doing the same to the FCA (as its an FCA regulated product). I have made both the contractual provider and their sub contracter aware of the complaints. to Date (c weeks after the last failure to repair) I have had an automated receipt for my complaint and nothing else from anyone. I don't expect anything from the FOS but will be exclulating the complaint to the directors of each company and Range rover themselves who promoted the product as part of the car sale.

I have asked for "permission" to arrange for the car to be repaired at a local range rover approved bodyshop and the costs to be met by the contractual supplier. If I donlt get a response within a reasponable timescale ie 30 days I will take it as acceptance of that request and I will get the car repaired myself and take them to small claims court to recover the costs.

In the meantime I'll have some fun writing to directors of the companies and range rover lol

21 - 26 of 26 Posts