Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 38 Posts

·
Registered
186 Posts
I and everyone I know pronounce it as 'Evoke". Not heard anyone pronounce it as "Evock".
Where are you located- it may be a local dialect thing!!

·
Registered
99 Posts
It is interesting. A 'QU' is usually pronounced 'K' in English. The word 'evoke', as in to evoke a memory has the stress on the 'vo' making it 'e vo k'.
There is no entry in my dictionary for 'evoque' so does anybody know how LR arrived at the name,as well ashow to pronounce it?

Brian

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
LDT said:
I and everyone I know pronounce it as 'Evoke". Not heard anyone pronounce it as "Evock".
Where are you located- it may be a local dialect thing!!

I'm from Yorkshire, and I note that a fellow poster from Cheshire has equally heard "Evok", so maybe you're right, and it's a northern thing. Incidentally, the salesman at my local dealer is one of those who pronounces it "Evok". We should ask LR for a definitive ruling!

·
Registered
174 Posts
brianlawrence said:
It is interesting. A 'QU' is usually pronounced 'K' in English. The word 'evoke', as in to evoke a memory has the stress on the 'vo' making it 'e vo k'.
There is no entry in my dictionary for 'evoque' so does anybody know how LR arrived at the name,as well ashow to pronounce it?

Brian
No idea where they got it from but there is a French word.

http://dictionary.reverso.net/french-english/%C3%A9voquer

·
Registered
99 Posts
Oh dear!

LR, RR are British through and through! Love France and the French and certainly love driving there but...

Come on [email protected] what is the origin of the name choice?

·
Registered
26 Posts
British pronunction of course - rhyming with that famous dance the hokey cokey to reflect the ordering/build date/delivery delay/circumlocution office process

·
Premium Member
337 Posts
I've seen LR press refer to Evoke before in paragraphs such as this; "The Range Rover Evoque. ... Evoking the original LRX Concept car"

·
Registered
208 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
brianlawrence said:
A 'QU' is usually pronounced 'K' in English.

I can only think of 'monocoque' and 'baroque' with the form 'oque', and I pronounce both of those 'ock'. I accept that many people use 'oke' to end the latter, but I've never heard the last syllable of 'monocoque' pronounced 'oke'

·
Registered
16 Posts
My husband keeps refering to it as the baby rangie. Not sure what i think about it! My dealers say evoque, not evok. If people dont know the car and what you are talking about i guess it doesnt matter either way....

1 - 20 of 38 Posts