Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
This text is straight from the Evoque owner's handbook and clearly describes the process for determining MPG:

URBAN CYCLE
The urban test cycle is carried out from a cold start and consists of a series of accelerations,
decelerations and periods of steady speed driving and engine idling. The maximum speed attained during the test is 50km/h (30mph) with an average speed of 19km/h 12mph).

EXTRA-URBAN CYCLE
The extra-urban test cycle is carried out immediately after the urban test. Approximately half of the test comprises steady speed driving, while the remainder consists of a series of accelerations, decelerations and engine idling. The maximum test speed is 120km/h (75mph) and the average speed 63km/h (39mph). The test is carried out over a distance of 7km (4.3 miles).

COMBINED
The combined figure is an average of the urban and extra-urban test cycle results, which has been weighted to take account of the different distances covered during the two tests.

For additional information on fuel consumption figures and exhaust emissions, visit the Vehicle Certification Agency (VCA) website at http://www.vcacarfueldata.org.uk/.

Anyone who is complaining about their MPG, I advise you to drive your Evoque at an average speed of 19 km/h in the city and 63 km/h on the freeways - that is how to achieve your MPG!

Alternately, contact the Vehicle Certification Agency and blast them on their stupid criteria for determining/publishing MPG!

·
Registered
154 Posts
thank you thank you for a blast of common sense in the ongoing argument on the relative consumption figures of this amazing car. people seem to be reading the figures and expecting to achieve them irrespective of their own driving styles androutes in traffic conditions. how on earth they expect the car to do what it does in a controlled test has me baffled. just enjoy the car and when it wants filling up fill it up !!

·
Registered
646 Posts
I'm reserving judgement for now (until a while afterI take delivery), but I am taking great interest in these threads.

I take the manufacturers figures with a pinch of salt, and whether due to my driving style (fairly heavy footted) and the type of roads I drive, Ihave managed to virtually match the worst (urban) figures on my last few new cars as an average.

That said, I am therefore expecting to get about the quoted urban figure, and will only be disapoint if it falls way below this.

·
Registered
51 Posts
I'm working on the basis that it'll improve over time as with most new cars. My BMW 530d M Sport eventually averaged 38mpg (should be nearer 43mpg) with me booting it around all the time. That's my target. My gripe isn't the MPG but the tiny tank. The Beemer would do a range of between 600-700 miles. The RRE will do 400-500 so more fill ups necessary.

The cruise control and graphic is helpful for keeping the avg up. I just sat back and watched it click up from 20.9 (at 100 miles) to 29.3 (at 300 miles) so heading in the right direction!

·
Registered
4,206 Posts
Discussion Starter #6
HotKuro - what engine did you get on your Evoque (it doesn't say in your signature)? I'm guessing you're in the Si4 based on your consumption.

You mentioned your 530d M series gave better consumption - I bet this is due to the six cylinder engine, which wouldn't have to work as hard a turbo four to move nearly two tonnes of car.

I'm surprised that LR didn't offer a six cylinder option for the Evoque. Maybe this is something they're keeping up their sleeves for a 'sports' version?

·
Registered
226 Posts
Re: gas mileage with the Evoque.

On the US model, the ONLY engine available at the present time is the 2.0L gas automatic in all three models, (Pure, Prestige, and Dynamic) whereas the UK Range Rover site indicates this engine is ONLY available on the UK Dynamic.

The US model is EPA rated at 20 City/28 Highway. Overall, in my nearly 3000 miles of use, I've been averaging 22 MPG.

The past 2 days I did a road trip of 350 miles (I'm guessing 25-30 miles was in city traffic). Overall, the vehicle computer reported 28.7 MPG average. The trip mileage was 350 exactly, using 12.328 US gallons. Doing the math the old fashion way, I come up with 28.4 MPG. Highway driving was mostly cruise control at 60-65 MPH. I should add that I DIDN'T accelerate quickly and treated the gas pedal as if it had a fresh egg under it.

Converting these figures to imperial gallons (10.265), I come up with 34 MPG (imperial).

I don't know what the UK rating for this vehicle is, but I did slightly better than the EPA US figure of 28 MPG. Therefore, my trip computer seems very accurate (more so than a lot of my previous vehicles). If anyone knows what the UK gas mileage rating is this engine, I would be interested to see how close it is to 34 MPG that I would have got if I had been using imperial gallons.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I should add that before I got "bogged" down in city traffic, my trip computer was reporting 31.5 MPG average at 60-65MPH, but once in city traffic, it biassed downward to end up with 28.7 MPG overall. AFAIK, no country rates fuel mileage at 70 MPH and up, using jack rabbit acceleration or other "lead" foot driving.

IF the UK 2.0 Gas version is rated at something higher than 34 (using imperial gallons), it a make-believe number that is unobtainable in less than using the exact same techniques employed by the testing organization.

Edited by: Starflyer

·
Registered
40 Posts
My diesel 2.2 dynamic has a worse consumption than my big range rover 4.4 litre diesel- whatever type of run its on , motorway or urban -Whether my wife or myself are driving . So not a lead foot reading.Total averages 26 mpg versus 29.5 mpg .fully understand cars don't ever get near the advertised figures - but the evoques claims are a mile off compared to the big range rover . Which does not add up.

·
Registered
226 Posts
Based on the US highway rating of 28 MPG which transposes to 34 MPG using imperial gallons, and the 40.7 MPG quoted on the Range Rover website for the 2.0L petrol engine, and assuming the engine is exactly the same as the US version, it would appear that the UK rating is 6.7 MPG too high.

The only way I could obtain that kind of extra urban mileage is to drive downhill almost 100% of the time.

STRANGE...

·
Registered
750 Posts
The other thing to keep in mind about the EU figures is that they are typically conducted by the manufacturer (under supervision) on a rolling road. They do not therefore take account of climatic conditions, aerodynamics, additional weight, load from accessories, open windows, gradients etc etc. I think it is also quite easy for a manufacturer to optimise their cars to perform well in the tests.

I doubt that there is a large amount of difference from car to car with the tightly controlled manufacturting processes and electronically controlled systems so as has been previously said, it comes down to the driver,spec and road conditions.Whether the running-in process plays a part of not I have no idea but I always let my cars bed in for at least 1k miles before being too aggressive with them, other may not feel that this is necessary or relevant.

Both petrol (gas)and diesel seem to fall similarly short of the mark so Isuspect that the only thing that is really at fault here is the benchmark.

·
Registered
226 Posts
scol2000 said:
The other thing to keep in mind about the EU figures is that they are typically conducted by the manufacturer (under supervision) on a rolling road.

I find it astounding that EU mileage figures are conducted by the manufacturers! One simple way to "stoke" the results would be to over inflate the tires by 10-15 pounds. AFAIK, the US mileage rating have all been done by a independent government authority.

That said, IMHO from what I've observed while in Europe, most drivers seem to think they're driving as if they were in a Monte Carlo race. Whereas listed mileage ratings are done at moderate speeds without full throttle acceleration. In the US, our highway mileage ratings are at 55 MPH (about 82-83 KPH). I suspect if the European owners found a flat highway and hooked up the cruise control AND have the onboard computer set to instant or average (if restarted) mileage, they would see figures similar to the rated mileage claims.

·
Registered
750 Posts
I don't think thay are simply left to it, it is either supervised or monitored, not sure which but I agree, seem like it could bepossible to stack the deck, probably by optimising the engine map to excel in the tests which may also explain some of the on-road flat spote etc.

In reality, unless you have a tail wind or are on a downhill stretch of road or have a right foot made of helium and feathers, you will never achieve the stated consumption because it was set in the lab, not on the open road.

What is this cruise control that you talk of, we never get to use that in Europe, just the KERS :)

1 - 13 of 13 Posts