Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Could anyone with a manual gearbox explain where, when and for how long Hill start assist should hold the car stationary? My VW Passat had Hill Hold which held the car stationary without need for the handbrake until you drove off. I thought that the Evoque system would work in a similar manner but so far I have not seen that. If I brake to a halt at a junction on a slight backward slope then I cannot release the footbrake without rolling backwards and need to hold the car on the clutch or apply the handbrake before driving off. Is this correct or do I have a fault? I have searched the manual and althoughHill Start Assist is indexed it is not referred to on the relevant page (96 from memory but don't quote me!) and there is no decent explanation of its function in the manual gearbox car that I can find online in order to know what to expect.

·
Registered
10 Posts
System doesnt work like VW (I also had a passat with hill hold). The LR system works with hill descent enabled and details can be found on p97 of the owners manual - GRADIENT RELEASE CONTROL
(GRC)
With HDC activated, if the vehicle is stopped on
a slope using the foot brake, GRC will become
active (except in Terrain Response Sand
program). It operates in all gears and in neutral
position.
During a steep hill descent, when the foot brake
is released GRC will automatically hold brake
force for a short period before gradually
releasing it, allowing for maximum control to
be retained.
During an uphill start, a similar brake hold and
gradual release is employed. This allows time
for the driver to apply speed and allow the

vehicle to move away smoothly.

·
Registered
9 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Bob,
Many thanks
Sathound

·
Registered
226 Posts
While not addressing the OP question about the manual gearbox, I would like to comment on the hill holder on the auto gearbox. I've had my Evoque for 3 months now and didn't realize it had a hill holder mode. Yesterday I was driving up our steep driveway and for some reason, I stopped where I was surprised to find I didn't roll backwards immediately. There was a definite pause before the car started to creep backwards.

While for the most part, a semi-useles feature with the auto transmission, I could see that it would be a great feature on a stick shift vehicle.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts