Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

Registered
2015MY SD4 Manual with Tech pack
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi all, and thanks for having me. I've tried to get up to speed with not being the wrong kind of newbie and checked out the newbie FAQ posts so will try to blend in, but happy to have a nudge in the right direction if I'm missing some of the forum etiquette!

Our car is a 2015MY SD4 with the Tech pack, pano roof, and a couple of other options, which we've had from new. As we had to wait for it (back then there was a 6-month wait and the factory was running round the clock), we had time to get excited, and managed to snag a factory tour while our car was going down the line, which was very cool (pictures below hopefully).

Tire Car Vehicle Wheel Automotive tire
Vehicle Automotive lighting Automotive tire Hood Car
Motor vehicle Hood Automotive design Vehicle Automotive lighting

Now the car's not quite so new anymore, we're seeing more and more jobs needing doing, and hopefully I can tackle a fair few myself, but I'll no doubt need to trawl the archives for helpful info along the way... In fact (and I'm sure like a lot of people), it's a fault that's brought me here today - the dreaded turbo actuator (boo!). I'm not planning to start any new threads on it (phew!), but I'm keen to hear from anyone who's had their own one refurbed and refitted, and how it went. Don't want to throw money at a whole new turbo if it's not needed, but there seem to be a lot of vague bits of info about whether the actuator truly needs to be calibrated to the turbo or not (which I can believe), and it's also a bit vague about whether reusing your own one sidesteps that issue. I'm sure loads of people have tried all the options and the info is out there... :)

Anyway, that's enough waffle from me - bye for now, and I look forward to chatting to you all (not literally everyone with 19K members!).

Cheers,

Alan

Registered
2017 SE Tech Auto Yulong White Black Pack Few Subtle Mods
Hi and welcome to the EOC Alan and as you say a not so new Evoque plenty of helpful peeps on here with plenty of knowledge I'm sure will ne able to help.
And as peeps will say we l like pics of owners pride and joy so feel free to share 馃槉馃槉

Reactions: __Alan__

Registered
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Cheers, will have to dig a few out! Did the factory pics attach to my previous post ok?

Registered
2017 SE Tech Auto Yulong White Black Pack Few Subtle Mods
Yeah the factory pics worked and it's nice to see the Evoque in a different surround I assume it coped well

Registered
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah the factory pics worked and it's nice to see the Evoque in a different surround I assume it coped well
Yeah, pretty well, although with no low range, and being a manual, we were out on a limb when the other vehicles wanted to very slowly crawl through some sections!

Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
Hi Alan and welcome. Nice when someone joins and introduces themself properly. I hope you enjoy the forum

Registered
Dynamic 3 door, 2013, SD4, santorini black with pimento and ebony
Hi description from the manual is reproduced at the bottom.(y)

JLR seem to regard it as one unit, probably because they buy them as such.
My thoughts are as with similar turbos the thing is to diagnose the cause. Is the actuator lever on the turbo not moving correctly (sticking) or it may be that the motor pushing it is not working.
Swapping the whole unit cures both.

If you or a mechanic can get to the turbo you can disconnect the drive shaft from the lever and move the turbo lever by hand. If it is free, I would pop a second hand actuator motor on.
If it is sticking the turbo needs to come off and be fixed.
The choice is up to you, new, reconditioned, or you can open and clean them. I have not done that but loads of vids on you tube. You can go second hand but as the youngest ones will be 7 years old you may just be replacing bad with bad.
Our local indie swears by a turbo cleaner product in the fuel. He is very specific which one. I will find the name.
I am sure it can鈥檛 cure a failed turbo but can help if it鈥檚 just a little bit sticky.
(Oh and I use good fuel or an additive all the time, they have more detergents to keep things clean)

Hope this helps you get to the cause.
As others have said, mechanics fix things, fitters change things.

Description
A DC (direct current) rotary actuator motor operates a drive shaft. The drive shaft is connected to the vanes by an actuating lever. Adjustment of the vanes is achieved by moving the actuating lever. When the drive shaft is turned, a signal is created at the end of the drive shaft; this feedback signal is used to determine the angular position of the vanes. This information is transmitted to the ECM (engine control module).
A DC (direct current) rotary actuator motor operates a drive shaft. The drive shaft is connected to the vanes by an actuating lever. Adjustment of the vanes is achieved by moving the actuating lever. When the drive shaft is turned, a signal is created at the end of the drive shaft; this feedback signal is used to determine the angular position of the vanes. This information is transmitted to the ECM (engine control module).
The turbocharger is designed for fail safe operation. If a fault occurs regarding the control of the unit, the vanes default to the fully open position so as to produce minimum boost. The ECM detects any malfunctions in the stepper motor and generates DTC (diagnostic trouble code).
Published: 13-Jun-2011
cardia

Premium Member
P300E MY22 Autobiography
Hi and welcome to the forum Alan ... I can remember waiting for my first one back then 6 months it was hell and now it's even longer lol ...

Registered
2013 L538 2.2 RR Evoque Pure Tech td4
Hello Alan
Welcome to the EOC
Nicely done on your first post, I wish all newbies could take notes from you. You鈥檒l have to run a training course on how to make friends and influence people :)
Well Done!

• Haha

Registered
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Many thanks @Binty. I鈥檝e not had it apart as such, but I鈥檝e had the under tray off to have a look and assess access. Also managed to move the linkage fairly easily (while connected to the actuator still) which is promising.
I鈥檓 going to start with contact cleaner as I saw that worked for someone (if I can get the connector off - there鈥榮 the usual catch/clip, but it was hard to see what to do with it to release it) and running some turbo cleaning spray through things. It鈥檚 just what they had in the local car parts place (ecomotive professional turbo clean / restore), but interested to know if there鈥檚 a better one. Recently ran several bottles of some in-fuel stuff through as we鈥檝e also had the common EGR issues (leading to its replacement), but I guess it鈥檚 not helped. In fact, I wonder if it鈥檚 loosened something up and contributed to this new issue鈥 But anyway!

Registered
2013 dynamic sd4 Orkney grey
Many thanks @Binty. I鈥檝e not had it apart as such, but I鈥檝e had the under tray off to have a look and assess access. Also managed to move the linkage fairly easily (while connected to the actuator still) which is promising.
I鈥檓 going to start with contact cleaner as I saw that worked for someone (if I can get the connector off - there鈥榮 the usual catch/clip, but it was hard to see what to do with it to release it) and running some turbo cleaning spray through things. It鈥檚 just what they had in the local car parts place (ecomotive professional turbo clean / restore), but interested to know if there鈥檚 a better one. Recently ran several bottles of some in-fuel stuff through as we鈥檝e also had the common EGR issues (leading to its replacement), but I guess it鈥檚 not helped. In fact, I wonder if it鈥檚 loosened something up and contributed to this new issue鈥 But anyway!
just had a new turbo actuator on my transit custom ( same engine as evoque) had my usual mechanic whip the turbo off then took it to george at Waltham abbey turbos ( highly recommend) he plugged it in and immediately found fault with the actuator so replaced it all in all cost me 拢210 including mechanic removing and replacing the turbo and no it didn鈥檛 have to be programmed back in to the vehicle

1 - 14 of 14 Posts