Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 10 of 10 Posts

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi
Hoping someone can help.I have just purchased the Ctek MXS 5 battery charger and was (or rather hubby was!) about to attach the eyelets to the battery when I read Restylers very informative post and noted he’d moved the negative eyelet to a bolt on the vehicles body work under the black bar that goes across the engine.
Just wondering why we need to do this ( something to do with the battery monitoring system?)
My hubby is reluctant to unscrew the bolt as he says it must be holding something and is frightened it won’t go back or something will fall off! 🙈🤔
Needless to say we both fall into the category of do a job, make a job.

·
Super Moderator
2,511 Posts
Hi, The Idea is that the BMS can monitor you charging the battery, although the more i've looked at this, if the BMS is not between the negative post and the body ground connection, then this really can make no difference at all.

I still need to get my battery cover off to have a look to get a picture and measure the battery ready for replacement (reg 2011) so have been meaning to take a closer look at the BMS.

But if you can see a thick black cable going from the battery post directly to the car chassis bolt, then it wont matter where you connect the negative, and same applies to the positive.

I have used my CTEK once on the battery of my Evoque just using the croc clips directly onto the posts still fully connected to the car with no issues.

Reactions: rsquared

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
Hi PhilSkill
Thanks for replying. Yes we can see the thick black earth cable leading from the car battery ( not the actual lead post of the battery) to the car body. So we are thinking we can attach it to either end of the earth body cable. The end attached to the body is a little difficult to get at where as the other end is easy to get at. Also would there be an issue with the electrics if we disconnected the black body earth cable? image.jpg

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
We were thinking we can attach to the bolt on the left hand arrow rather than the bolt on the right hand arrow if that makes sense.
5A25AFBB-83F7-41F8-ABE4-960D1B4CF531.jpeg

·
Registered
253 Posts
Why is your post description in Capitals as you are 'Shouting' , you can edit it with the three dots to the RHS.

·
Super Moderator
2,511 Posts
Yes I'd say either of those will be fine! Try to hold the black cable connected, just remove the nut and fit the circular clip over the thread and replace the nut. Saves losing any memory from the car.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
Yes I'd say either of those will be fine! Try to hold the black cable connected, just remove the nut and fit the circular clip over the thread and replace the nut. Saves losing any memory from the car.
Thanks PhilSkill. Much appreciated. That’s what we did in the end. It was definitely in need of a charge as the Ctek was only showing three lights. By 9pm it was up to 7.

·
Registered
314 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Why is your post description in Capitals as you are 'Shouting' , you can edit it with the three dots to the RHS.
I thought it would save you having to put your glasses on 😬 Now amended!

·
Registered
179 Posts
Hi I purchased a CTEK CT5 Start Stop charger and a CTEK Comfort Indicator which I fitted yesterday (Sunday) and connected the charger, a few hours later I checked on the chargers status and it was showing that the charger had gone over to the "Care" setting but when I looked at the traffic lights on the Comfort Indicator it was flashing RED I would have thought it would have shown at least Orange if not Green, should I have left it on charge for longer?

·
Super Moderator
2,511 Posts
I find the comfort indicator goes from green to flashing yellow far too easily, but never seen the red lit.

The CTEK has a recondition mode maybe the battery is getting poor, this mode might help?

1 - 10 of 10 Posts