Evoque Owners Club banner

Hello To All - New Face Here!

2K views 35 replies 11 participants last post by  DKZ5745 
#1 ·
Hello all,

My wife is thinking of hanging up the keys of her Mini Convertible and has an eye on an Evoque.
Probably looking to get something around 2016, she prefers a manual, but I'm trying to persuade her towards an auto.

I'm sure there's plenty of reading to be had on here regarding what to look for etc. No doubt I'll be back with some questions as they arise.

Thanks

MIB

#2 ·
Hi,
Welcome, feel free to mooch around the varied questions that you may need answering.
Everyone (well almost) is very helpful and will assist where they can-there is a lot of ecperience on here.
I personally prefer the Auto-you should get some great motors out there that will suit your needs.
Good luck and keep us posted.

#3 ·
My new Evoque is the first auto I’ve had. Also the first diesel. So used to it now, & I’ve only driven a couple of hundred miles since getting it (there’s been some sort of issue so we’ve all been stopping at home 🤔) I probably wouldn't want to go back to a manual.
You will also likely find a much bigger choice if you go auto, the majority seem to be of that persuasion.

#4 ·
In a Mini it would be a crime to have an auto. I have had three over time and they were great. I resisted autos for years but now I wouldn’t go back to a manual unless it was a Mini, MX-5 or Audi TT 😜

Reactions: Doink
#5 ·
Must admit manual is good for the Mini's we've had two. The first (Conv.) Was a 2005 Cooper 'S' which was the supercharged version - great fun, but very thirsty when driven the way it should! The 2nd and current drive is a Cooper 'D' still nippy enough to have some great fun, but delivers good economy.
My company car was in dock for a few months a while back and I was given an auto 3 Series as a temporary replacement (330d) absolutely loved it and didn't want to give it back, the auto box was faultless and so smooth.

#6 ·
Persuade her to go auto. My wife resisted them all her life until she drove my current Evoque and now loves it. She has a manual MX5 and Abarth 500 but the manual gearbox suits that type of car for having a blast and nipping about but the Evoque is way more suited to the auto box. Welcome to the forum btw. 👌

#7 ·
Hi and welcome. Old autos were rubbish but nowadays I wouldn't have anything else.

#9 ·
Don't know about the MY20 cars but our manual I find is very clunky and bordering agricultural, I mean it's ok but for the money these cars cost new you'd think JLR would have a slick manual, it's an auto for us next time

Reactions: 15498
#11 ·
I'm a spec freak, I have to have gadgets otherwise I feel inferior lol, can't breathe or sleep at night if I have a car that is run of the mill, I like people to admire my car just as I admire others, bit like classic cars - I might not particularly like the make of car but I appreciate the work, sweat and tears as well as money that's gone into it. Mine is a good spec but it's near on standard for a hse dynamic lux, there's better spec'd yet with heated steering wheel, cooled seats, head up display, dynamic suspension, black pack, with all that you'll be looking at high 50k new

#12 ·
Ah yes, the good old heated steering wheel-Fantastic.

#13 ·
Heated steering wheel wasn't an option that I'd even considered but as my currect car has one it's become a must have for me.

Reactions: Maffy
#14 ·
Couldn't, wouldn't be without one-Old man kit LOL,

#16 ·
I think it's one thing I could live without to be honest, same with heated seats but then you start getting to the realms of haves and have nots so in that respect I need to be one of the haves

#17 ·
Heated anything in the UK, for sure, wouldn't spec it in Dubai etc !!!

#18 ·
Got heated seats In both my motors, but stopped short of the heated steering wheel In the Evoque. You can wear gloves but it’s nice to have warm leather on you a^*e in the cold weather (in Yorkshire that’s from September to June, and usually @ 40 days in July & August. BUT NOT AT THE MOMENT 😁🎉🍸🍺🥂☀

#19 ·
Sunny Yorkshire! Can't beat it! North, West, South or East?
Got heated seats In both my motors, but stopped short of the heated steering wheel In the Evoque. You can wear gloves but it’s nice to have warm leather on you a^*e in the cold weather (in Yorkshire that’s from September to June, and usually @ 40 days in July & August. BUT NOT AT THE MOMENT 😁🎉🍸🍺🥂☀

#23 ·
Close - near Wakefield here.

#25 ·
Welcome MIB

Can I put in a good word for the manual version please? Straycat too won't countenance an automatic so our search three years ago was focused on the manual Evoques available. Although I myself am an automatic fan, when I test-drove an automatic Evoque I didn't like the way it was always shifting around the gears in town, plus the slight lag when you want to pull away. So we got the manual.
And I have to say it is one of the nicest manual boxes I have tried in 50 years of motoring and a pleasure to use. Now that the new model only does a manual in the entry-level version we are a little stuck as we would normally buy the new version but like the higher spec. So Straycat will have to be persuaded to look at autos for our next change.
So please do try the manual version and give your wife a chance to persuade you!

Steve

#27 ·
Cheers Steve for your reply.
Yes I'm sure we will try both - like everything in life it is up to personal preference. I'm also sure my preference will be that of the gaffa when the ultimate choice is made ;)

#33 ·
Is he Barbara the taxi driver perhaps? One of my all time favourite comedies, the League of gentlemen.

#34 ·
Your missus might have seen the back of my RCZ disappearing into the distance on the odd occasion 😱 always within the speed limits Of course (it Must be legal to drive that fast somewhere 🤔)

#36 ·
That will be the one 😁🏎

This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.