Evoque Owners Club banner
21 - 27 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
Moving the fan with a cane stick, is just a temporary solution, because what you have there is a dirty commutator full of black carbon deposits that short out commutator segments, and you end up with 'dead spots' where if the fan motor ends up on them, it will not move as there is no electrical circuit, unless you go over a road bump and the fan shifts or you move it with the stick. Please have a look at my solution on comment 11, on previous page, where you can remove motor and clean the commutator segments, while still keeping the commutator electrical brushes in place. (This is common on a lot of older cars, irrespective of make, and have had to do this on a few older cars. Other solution though costly, is a new fan motor).

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
3,170 Posts
Dead Spots on the Commutator.....
Are you sure it damp.... I have had older cars where 'dead spots' are created on the commutator segments of the fan motor. This causes the fan randomly stopping on a dead spot after stopping the car for the night. In the morning the fan is dead but can start up again if you hit a bump or a pothole, as the fan motor rotates mechanically slightly and gets off the dead spot and starts running again. The solution is, remove the fan motor, open it up by removing cover and clean the black carbon off the commutator till it is copper again. I used a piece of an emery block (emery paper on a rectangular foam block) You can get it between the brushes and clean the commutator. The black carbon deposit is from the motors carbon brushes.
LR have improved things by stopping water ingress that was apparently causing the problem, so it looks like it is a 'damp' issue.

All well and good saying to clean the commutator - have you tried removing an Evoque heater fan?! It's not a 5 minute job...

·
Registered
1,931 Posts
True, most fan heaters are well buried under in the dash, not an easy job to replace.

But I would say from personal experience that fan motors in cars are cheaply built now and is why most of us suffer from fans packing in after a number of years, or a more common problem on many car makes is the fan speed resistor pack packing in, and they can be as difficult to find (many cars just end up with max speed setting 4 only when they burn out, and 1,2,3 fan speed is gone), They are located in the fan duct before the heater matrix as they need cooling, and can be very difficult to find. In fact in my previous Vauxhall Tigra Convertible, I could not find the resistor pack having stripped half the dash, and had to fit electronic variable speed control for the ventilation fan instead. Even the dealership had no idea.

In the old days (last century LOL), I never got fan problems as they were robustly made, and lasted the life of the car. Unfortunately many car parts now are made as cheap as possible, but the cars are sold dear.

Reactions: cosrom

·
Registered
2 Posts
Found it
remove battery cover
you have an open area
however towards the bulkhead you have a second smaller space
shine light in towards center of the car might have to keep moving torch till you catch a peep of white fins
garden cane move them
issue sorted
this will help

Thank you for this.
I was HIGHLY sceptical but it worked a treat on my 68 plate Evoque

·
Registered
2 Posts
Moving the fan with a cane stick, is just a temporary solution, because what you have there is a dirty commutator full of black carbon deposits that short out commutator segments, and you end up with 'dead spots' where if the fan motor ends up on them, it will not move as there is no electrical circuit, unless you go over a road bump and the fan shifts or you move it with the stick. Please have a look at my solution on comment 11, on previous page, where you can remove motor and clean the commutator segments, while still keeping the commutator electrical brushes in place. (This is common on a lot of older cars, irrespective of make, and have had to do this on a few older cars. Other solution though costly, is a new fan motor).
Thanks forcthis . I cant belive such a low tech solution existed. Once again, many thanks

21 - 27 of 27 Posts