Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
112 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
After leaving the Evo in the garage for 2 days during Christmas, it was evident that during the first subsequent journey that the side windows were misting up. Quick investigation revealed that the blower was not working. My immediate thought was that a fuse had blown and on checking the handbook I saw that there is a recommendation that the fuse in question should be replaced by the retailer/repairer. After arriving home I contacted my dealer who advised that they couldn't look at the car for at least 2 weeks and suggested that I called LR assist. This I did somewhat sheepishly and within an hour I had the AA arrive on the drive. Their representative was very helpful and not at all disparaging over responding to what was hardly an emergency breakdown. I mentioned the fuse but his initial theory is that the problem could be due to damp effecting the blower fan. Within minutes he had removed the cover in the engine bay and by using a screw driver simply gave the fan a nudge, turned on the ignition and problem solved! He mentioned that this was a fairly common fault on the Evoque which and was surprised a fix/modification had not been applied bearing in mind that mine is a 2018 model. Worth noting that this was the only occasion I have called LR assist in nearly 5 years of Evoque ownership.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,333 Posts
Good it's going again.
A common problem as you have heard :)

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have the same issue right now. Anyway you could post a picture of the panel he removed to see the fan

·
Registered
2012 SD4 Dynamic Lux
1,544 Posts
Unless I’m thinking of a different car I’ve worked on, I seem to remember seeing the heater fan when I’ve had the battery cover off. I might be wrong though!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Yeah I took that off but don’t see the fan. I thought it’d be right there at the bulkhead but can’t locate

·
Registered
4 Posts
After leaving the Evo in the garage for 2 days during Christmas, it was evident that during the first subsequent journey that the side windows were misting up. Quick investigation revealed that the blower was not working. My immediate thought was that a fuse had blown and on checking the handbook I saw that there is a recommendation that the fuse in question should be replaced by the retailer/repairer. After arriving home I contacted my dealer who advised that they couldn't look at the car for at least 2 weeks and suggested that I called LR assist. This I did somewhat sheepishly and within an hour I had the AA arrive on the drive. Their representative was very helpful and not at all disparaging over responding to what was hardly an emergency breakdown. I mentioned the fuse but his initial theory is that the problem could be due to damp effecting the blower fan. Within minutes he had removed the cover in the engine bay and by using a screw driver simply gave the fan a nudge, turned on the ignition and problem solved! He mentioned that this was a fairly common fault on the Evoque which and was surprised a fix/modification had not been applied bearing in mind that mine is a 2018 model. Worth noting that this was the only occasion I have called LR assist in nearly 5 years of Evoque ownership.
I have just had the exact same problem (almost word for word!) after leaving my Evo for a week while on hols. Thanks for posting this info. You have saved me a lot of time chasing the dealership.

·
Registered
8 Posts
I have just had the exact same problem (almost word for word!) after leaving my Evo for a week while on hols. Thanks for posting this info. You have saved me a lot of time chasing the dealership.
Did you manage to fix it though. I couldnt locate it at first until i realised it was right in front of me lol (A torch definitely helps) Note that in order to get through the bulkhead you need a screwdriver or something rigid about 1.5-2ft in length. But this solution works !!!!!!

·
Registered
8 Posts
Good Job!!!!!

I purchased. a 2ft long screwdriver from screwfix and leave that and a torch in the storage compartment in the boot. I leave the car at the airport regularly with work. Its happened once again since and i expect it to happen again. Car change in June so i only have to bare with it a little longer

·
Registered
1,809 Posts
Dead Spots on the Commutator.....
Are you sure it damp.... I have had older cars where 'dead spots' are created on the commutator segments of the fan motor. This causes the fan randomly stopping on a dead spot after stopping the car for the night. In the morning the fan is dead but can start up again if you hit a bump or a pothole, as the fan motor rotates mechanically slightly and gets off the dead spot and starts running again. The solution is, remove the fan motor, open it up by removing cover and clean the black carbon off the commutator till it is copper again. I used a piece of an emery block (emery paper on a rectangular foam block) You can get it between the brushes and clean the commutator. The black carbon deposit is from the motors carbon brushes.

·
Registered
4 Posts
Dead Spots on the Commutator.....
Are you sure it damp.... I have had older cars where 'dead spots' are created on the commutator segments of the fan motor. This causes the fan to stop on a dead spot and then start up again if you hit a bump or a pothole, and the fan motor rotates mechanically slightly and gets off the dead spot and starts running again. The solution is, remove the fan motor, open it up by removing cover and clean the black carbon off the commutator till it is copper again. I used a piece of an emery block (emery paper on a rectangular foam block) You can get it between the brushes and clean the commutator. The black carbon deposit is from the motors carbon brushes.
She is due for a service soon so I will ask that they check the fan/motor for me just to make sure. Thanks for the info.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Thanks a lot, unfortunately i’ve spent half an hour looking but nothing.... do you have a pic sito The cover removed...? Thanks again a lot

·
Registered
36 Posts
My RRE is a my16 model... maybe it’s in a different place
We have an MY16 and I had to do ours last week. I don't have a photo with the cover removed but can confirm its the correct location. You are looking for fan blades similar to the below, I used a garden cane as it's further in than you'd expect.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts