Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi, sorry if this has been raised before. I have a 64 plate pure SD4 which has halogen headlights. The passengers bulb has gone so took it to Land Rover because Halfords couldn’t help and it looks like a power surge has melted the bulb to the connector, so the bulb won’t come out. Land Rover are saying they need to replace the complete headlamp (£900) which should be covered by my extended warranty with ‘The Warranty Group’ as it’s a wiring issue but even though wiring/electrical faults are covered by my policy the warranty people are saying no because the headlamp is excluded on the policy, even thought the reason for the replacement is because of the electrical fault?! So has anyone else had this problem? £900 is a bit much for me to spend at the moment and I feel like the warranty should cover it because the fault has been caused by a power surge. Any advice would be great, either alternatives to fixing the problem or advice on the best way to try and get the warranty company to pay.
Thanks

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,793 Posts
Wow, that's not good.
Can you post a photo? Hopefully it can either be fixed or a used fitting found.
Depending on what's melted you would think the bulb holder could be cut out and replaced.

·
Registered
64 Posts
I had a blown lamp in my freelander that broke the shutter LR wouldn't replace the headlamp as I had used night breaker lamps not the candles that LR supplied. I got a unit from eBay for about £50 as apposed to the £450 that they wanted.
Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
I don’t have a photo but when I tried to change the bulb it was stuck solid, hence taking it to LR, they have said the only way it can be stuck the way it is, is it’s melted and stuck together. I was wondering if I would be able to get a new HB3 connector/plug for a new bulb to sit in? And if that would maybe be a fix to the problem. It seems a bit extreme to need to replace the whole unit when it’s only the connecting bulb holder that seems to be faulty (and now the bulb)? Just not sure how easy it would be to reconnect it? Not sure if it’s a simple plug connection or if it would be hard wired/soldering?

·
Super Moderator
2,658 Posts
This has happened quite a bit, and LR were putting ballast resistors inline on some vehicles, you could try an auto electrician see if they can repair, but if the lamp fitting socket is damaged you may have to try sourcing a second hand unit as above.

Post a pic if you can.

Bit rubbish the warranty doesn't cover electrical faults! You could try insurance if you're struggling to pay for it.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #7
I had a blown lamp in my freelander that broke the shutter LR wouldn't replace the headlamp as I had used night breaker lamps not the candles that LR supplied. I got a unit from eBay for about £50 as apposed to the £450 that they wanted.
Good luck.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Yeah I’ve had a quick look on eBay and I could get a complete headlamp unit for around £150 so cheaper than LR. It’s definitely something I’ll look at doing if there isn’t a way of just fixing the headlight connector or getting the Warranty company to pay. Who knew a headlight bulb going could be so difficult to replace ? and potentially so expensive.
Fingers crossed I can get it sorted quickly not a fan of driving in the dark with one fully working headlight and just the LED side light bits on the other.

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
So update. Warranty company are still saying no but equally won’t put it in writing, so I’ve given up with them. It seems they are very aware of there being an issue with the headlight overheating or power surge issue which is why they won’t budge on it.

I’ve looked for a replacement headlamp that’s not going to cost me £450+VAT but struggling to find one that’s halogen and the right shape. So I’ve replaced the HB3 plug connector with a ceramic version (reading the reviews on them there are a lot of Evoque owners that have done the same) and so far it’s done the job. So a new bulb and HB3 connector has cost me under £20 and it didn’t take me long to do it. Fingers crossed it’s now sorted.

I’ll try and attach a picture of how the light bulb connector looks now I’ve managed to get the bulb out of it...it’s melted on one side.

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions and help ?

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,793 Posts
Good you hear - I thought something could be done (y)

I would ask your 'garage' why they couldn't do the same!!!

·
Registered
2 Posts
So update. Warranty company are still saying no but equally won’t put it in writing, so I’ve given up with them. It seems they are very aware of there being an issue with the headlight overheating or power surge issue which is why they won’t budge on it.

I’ve looked for a replacement headlamp that’s not going to cost me £450+VAT but struggling to find one that’s halogen and the right shape. So I’ve replaced the HB3 plug connector with a ceramic version (reading the reviews on them there are a lot of Evoque owners that have done the same) and so far it’s done the job. So a new bulb and HB3 connector has cost me under £20 and it didn’t take me long to do it. Fingers crossed it’s now sorted.

I’ll try and attach a picture of how the light bulb connector looks now I’ve managed to get the bulb out of it...it’s melted on one side.

Thanks for everyone’s suggestions and help ?
Hi
Just found myself in this situation. Could you tell me where you got the part please?
Thanks

·
Registered
8 Posts
Discussion Starter #13
Hi
Just found myself in this situation. Could you tell me where you got the part please?
Thanks
Hi, I used 9005/HB3 ceramic bulb connector holder. Did a quick search on eBay and they have them for around £10 for two. I made sure I replaced the bulb with the same as I was taking out as I had read there were problems with the length of some of the bulbs you can get and it could lead to the bulb shattering inside the headlamp unit. Below is the details of what I used, it came from Amazon

Bosch-987-302-152

I’m no expert but seems to have worked.

Hope this helps

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi, I used 9005/HB3 ceramic bulb connector holder. Did a quick search on eBay and they have them for around £10 for two. I made sure I replaced the bulb with the same as I was taking out as I had read there were problems with the length of some of the bulbs you can get and it could lead to the bulb shattering inside the headlamp unit. Below is the details of what I used, it came from Amazon

Bosch-987-302-152

I’m no expert but seems to have worked.

Hope this helps
Thank you 😊

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,793 Posts
@Donna I think you missed the posts at the end. Fixed with a £5 connector and a new bulb! 👓

Reactions: Meghan

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi Jules and Meghan
Could you talk me through how you actually changed the part? This has also happened to me
Thanks x

1 - 19 of 19 Posts