Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
It appears that it is almost impossible to hard wire a dashcam to my 2021 Autobiography.
I have run the power cable from the camera on the left of the windscreen down the A pillar and across to the fuse box under the glove compartment with ease.
I have also connected the earth to a suitable bolt.
Then I have hit a dead end as none of the fuses are numbered apart from showing the amps value of 5amp up to 20amp.
There is no diagram showing what fuse does what and the fuse board itself is almost impossible to access properly.
I have contacted Landrover Leeds where I purchased the vehicle from in March but they are less than helpful and inform me that it it is too precarious to mess about with the fuses and severe damage can occur to the vehicle.
If I took it in to a local auto electrical store I wondered how they would be able to identify the correct fuse if the risk of damage is great as said by the dealer.
Any advice would be appreciated. no silly comments please.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,945 Posts
I'm surprised to hear there isn't a diagram showing the fuse layout?!
I haven't got a MY21 so hopefully someone with one will be along.

Have you checked the fuse cover in case the numbering is on that?

The online Owner's Manual has a complete list which shows which circuits they are looking after:

·
Registered
2021 P300E Autobiography in Eiger Grey
6 Posts
I'm surprised to hear there isn't a diagram showing the fuse layout?!
I haven't got a MY21 so hopefully someone with one will be along.

Have you checked the fuse cover in case the numbering is on that?

The online Owner's Manual has a complete list which shows which circuits they are looking after:
Hi

I have done it on my 2021 autobiography.

I installed a Thinkware U1000 dual front and rear camera setup and it works great. I ran a 7 core 12v power cable (not all cores used) from the front to the rear fuse box which provides the permanent and the Aux power to the front. I ran it under the passenger door sills, it was much easier than trying to connect to the front fuse box due to its awkward location. I connected the cable to the front camera in the side panel of the dashboard. At the same time as running the power cables to the rear I also pulled in the rear camera. I used Micro 2 Fuse Taps to connect to the fuse board. With a simple meter and you will be able to find a couple of spare fuse sockets.

It took a couple of hours, but it was well worth it.

Regards

Mark

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Nothing on the back of fuse cover, it is only a narrow piece of plastic backed by a bit of sponge. I read your offering Mark but sounds a bit too complicated for my 77 year old brain.

·
Registered
33 Posts
This link will tell you which fuse is which and just piggy back off one - Land Rover Owner Information

This thread is helpful

·
Registered
1,874 Posts
Make sure your dash cam can be disconnected easily and shown disconnected.

The reason is when the car goes in for a service or repair, mechanics tend to rip the dash cam out, so tell them beforehand that the supply is disconnected, so the dash cam is not running.

Why mechanics disconnect dash cams....
Mechanics do not want to be recorded and seen working (or seen hardly working, more like it :D)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Thanks Jake, At first glance it looks to solve the problem but there is no mention of which fuse to piggyback off. Some comments from other members say 'use the cig lighter fuse' but others say this fuse (not shown on the info you sent me) should not be used as it is a permanent live. Still confused as to which fuse to use as they are not numbered n the 21 Evoque fuse box.

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
2,945 Posts
...If I took it in to a local auto electrical store I wondered how they would be able to identify the correct fuse...
To answer this, 'yes' an auto electrician which be able to resolve this :)

·
Registered
33 Posts
Thanks Jake, At first glance it looks to solve the problem but there is no mention of which fuse to piggyback off. Some comments from other members say 'use the cig lighter fuse' but others say this fuse (not shown on the info you sent me) should not be used as it is a permanent live. Still confused as to which fuse to use as they are not numbered n the 21 Evoque fuse box.
Here is a photo of how mine is wired in, this is a MY21 fuse box on the passenger side, if you need help taking the a-pillar off to run the wire down with out impeding on the airbag watch my video on the other thread.

I have wired it to the cigarette lighter meaning that it turns on and off with the ignition. If my camera detects motion when the engine is off, it will record a video using battery anyway.

They are labelled, just not very well. Its fuse 26 your after. It will be yellow.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Thanks Jake. Clearest information I have received. Gives me the confidence to have a crack at it rather than pay an auto electrician just for connecting the power.

·
Registered
2015 Dynamic Lux 2.2Sd4
3,580 Posts
Hi Al,

I piggy backed mine from fuse 66 which is a tan colour 5amp permanent live with a cable which will shut power down to the dashcam if battery gets below 11.5 volts.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
I notice on some comments on this subject that a fuse removal tool is used. There doesn't appear to be one supplied by Land Rover so is it safe to extract the fuse using fingers only please?

·
Registered
89 Posts
Check the rear fusebox in the boot space. There's a panel on the left-hand side and I found mine in there.

·
Registered
89 Posts
I haven't run a cable to the rear fusebox. My message was just to suggest where you'd find the removal tool, if you needed one. :)

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #18 ·
located it eventually..it is a tiny white flimsy piece of plastic that was neither use nor ornament. ended up using long nosed pliers but then found the fuse is a micro fuse and the kit I got from Nextbase only had Fuse Tap Cables for standard and mini..no micro. Now I have to find some 2 amp micro cable and micro fuses.

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Here is a photo of how mine is wired in, this is a MY21 fuse box on the passenger side, if you need help taking the a-pillar off to run the wire down with out impeding on the airbag watch my video on the other thread.

I have wired it to the cigarette lighter meaning that it turns on and off with the ignition. If my camera detects motion when the engine is off, it will record a video using battery anyway.

They are labelled, just not very well. Its fuse 26 your after. It will be yellow.

View attachment 9006 View attachment 9007

·
Registered
29 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
I have a close look at the fuse box today Jake and find that the one you mention (looks to be 5th Fuse up

View attachment 9006 View attachment 9007
on the right hand side)

1 - 20 of 27 Posts