Evoque Owners Club banner

Haldex Gen 5 oil change with pictures

25K views 37 replies 21 participants last post by  volkk80 
#1 ·
As a bit of preventative maintenance I decided to change the oil in the Haldex unit yesterday and I'm glad I did.

It's a Gen 5 unit so has no seperate cartridge filter and the gauze on the pump was choked with gunk. The car has done just under 45000 miles of mostly long distance runs back and forth to Spain by the previous owner.

As its a Gen 5 unit the service is really easy and took about 25-30 minutes to do. A brief description of the procedure I used, should anyone wish to try it themselves is as follows:

1. Make sure the car is level (more on this later).
2. Remove the skid plate from under the pump (3x 8mm bolts).
3. Unplug the pump electrical connector (rearmost plug of the two).
4. Remove the two 10mm/T30 bolts securing the pump to the unit.
5. With a suitable recptacle under it, pull out the pump and let the oil drain.
6. Remove the gauze from the end of the pump (2x T10 screws) and clean the gauze. I used brake cleaner and paper towels.
7. Refit the gauze to the pump and clean the pump around the o ring seals. I didn't change the seals although I did purchase 2 new ones so have them as spares.
8. Once the oil has drained, clean the housing as there may be a few bits of gunk left behind.
9. Refitting everything is the reverse of removal but don't forget to oil the o rings with fresh oil before replacing the pump.
10. Remove the filler plug on the side of the black unit with a coin (a 2p piece fits perfectly).
11. Top up with oil until it runs out of the fill hole and replace filler plug.
12. Start the car to run the pump, switch off and re-check the oil level. It will probably take a bit more as the pump circulates the oil.
13. Check for leaks, if there's none you're done. Go have a cuppa for a job well done.:smile:.
I drained 300ml out but it took 420 to refil. My drive is not level so I had put the rear of the car on a pair of ramps to compensate and used a spirit level under the sills to get it level. However, having put 120ml more oil in I was a bit concerned so took the car to a known level surface and removed the filler plug and about 20ml came out.

Unlike the earlier generations of Haldex, the Gen 5 does not need the 70ml of oil removed so I can't say why I ended up with 100ml more in it than I drained out. I'm happy that it's ok though.

I bought 850ml of oil so have enough left to do another change and after seeing the state of the gauze I may do it again in a couple of thousand miles to clean it through again as the cost of the oil is a lot less than a new pump.

The pictures aren't in any particular order but hopefully they're self explanatory.

Hope this helps if others decide to have a go at changing their oil.

Oh, and one final thing - I didn't do the pump learn process that gets mentioned on the VW forums as I have no idea what it is nor do I have the test equipment they talk about to be able to do it.

Attachments

See less See more
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.