Evoque Owners Club banner
21 - 31 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
191 Posts
As a bit of preventative maintenance I decided to change the oil in the Haldex unit yesterday and I'm glad I did.

It's a Gen 5 unit so has no seperate cartridge filter and the gauze on the pump was choked with gunk. The car has done just under 45000 miles of mostly long distance runs back and forth to Spain by the previous owner.

As its a Gen 5 unit the service is really easy and took about 25-30 minutes to do. A brief description of the procedure I used, should anyone wish to try it themselves is as follows:

1. Make sure the car is level (more on this later).
2. Remove the skid plate from under the pump (3x 8mm bolts).
3. Unplug the pump electrical connector (rearmost plug of the two).
4. Remove the two 10mm/T30 bolts securing the pump to the unit.
5. With a suitable recptacle under it, pull out the pump and let the oil drain.
6. Remove the gauze from the end of the pump (2x T10 screws) and clean the gauze. I used brake cleaner and paper towels.
7. Refit the gauze to the pump and clean the pump around the o ring seals. I didn't change the seals although I did purchase 2 new ones so have them as spares.
8. Once the oil has drained, clean the housing as there may be a few bits of gunk left behind.
9. Refitting everything is the reverse of removal but don't forget to oil the o rings with fresh oil before replacing the pump.
10. Remove the filler plug on the side of the black unit with a coin (a 2p piece fits perfectly).
11. Top up with oil until it runs out of the fill hole and replace filler plug.
12. Start the car to run the pump, switch off and re-check the oil level. It will probably take a bit more as the pump circulates the oil.
13. Check for leaks, if there's none you're done. Go have a cuppa for a job well done.😄.
I drained 300ml out but it took 420 to refil. My drive is not level so I had put the rear of the car on a pair of ramps to compensate and used a spirit level under the sills to get it level. However, having put 120ml more oil in I was a bit concerned so took the car to a known level surface and removed the filler plug and about 20ml came out.

Unlike the earlier generations of Haldex, the Gen 5 does not need the 70ml of oil removed so I can't say why I ended up with 100ml more in it than I drained out. I'm happy that it's ok though.

I bought 850ml of oil so have enough left to do another change and after seeing the state of the gauze I may do it again in a couple of thousand miles to clean it through again as the cost of the oil is a lot less than a new pump.

The pictures aren't in any particular order but hopefully they're self explanatory.

Hope this helps if others decide to have a go at changing their oil.

Oh, and one final thing - I didn't do the pump learn process that gets mentioned on the VW forums as I have no idea what it is nor do I have the test equipment they talk about to be able to do it.
Fantastic write up - thank you.
I have a 2016 SE Tech, so guessing that is a Gen 5?
Slightly confused as your signature says you have a 150 bhp car, I thought those were just 2WD (or have you swapped your car?)
BTW - where in Spain are you?

·
Registered
2013 2.2 SD4 Dynamic Hatchback 5d Auto
61 Posts
Nice write up👍. I did the Gen 4 on the Wife’s car (70k miles). Found exactly the same in the pump screen.
Just for others information it was possible to get the Gen 4 pump out without taking off the prop shaft. If you slightly loosen the pump cover screws (don’t remove) and it gives you enough “play” to remove the pump.

I have used Haldex Repairs for bits and had excellent service.

Reactions: Oboy

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #23 ·
Fantastic write up - thank you.
I have a 2016 SE Tech, so guessing that is a Gen 5?
Slightly confused as your signature says you have a 150 bhp car, I thought those were just 2WD (or have you swapped your car?)
BTW - where in Spain are you?
Thanks for the praise. As I was doing the job I thought I may as well document it :).

Your car will be a Gen 5 as it was introduced with the facelift I believe.

My car is 150 bhp probably because it's a European model. It was originally made for the German market and was imported to the UK when new as the previous owner wanted a LHD vehicle to travel back and for to Spain. After purchasing it in 2019 we permanently exported it last November and it now has a Spanish registration.

We live in the Murcia province, just outside the town of Puerto Lumbreras. We bought an old cortijo on 20 acres of land in 2012 as a renovation project that we intended to retire to in a few years time from now. However, Brexit and the pandemic made us think twice about our priorities and so we decided to sell up in the UK last year, quit our jobs and move to Murcia permanently to enjoy early retirement.

The house is fairly remote, up in the hills in the Campo so the Evoque is great for driving up and down the rock strewn access track and crossing the (mostly) dry river beds that we have around us.

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks for the praise. As I was doing the job I thought I may as well document it :).

Your car will be a Gen 5 as it was introduced with the facelift I believe.

My car is 150 bhp probably because it's a European model. It was originally made for the German market and was imported to the UK when new as the previous owner wanted a LHD vehicle to travel back and for to Spain. After purchasing it in 2019 we permanently exported it last November and it now has a Spanish registration.

We live in the Murcia province, just outside the town of Puerto Lumbreras. We bought an old cortijo on 20 acres of land in 2012 as a renovation project that we intended to retire to in a few years time from now. However, Brexit and the pandemic made us think twice about our priorities and so we decided to sell up in the UK last year, quit our jobs and move to Murcia permanently to enjoy early retirement.

The house is fairly remote, up in the hills in the Campo so the Evoque is great for driving up and down the rock strewn access track and crossing the (mostly) dry river beds that we have around us.
Sound, thank you!
We also have a place in Murcia, although only an apartment. It's in Corvera, about 5 mins drive from the 'new' airport. Came back on Wednesday after spending two weeks there (first time since Feb '20). Loved it!!
Our car out there (Zafira) suffered an AC compressor failure - so that was a nice unexpected bill 🤦‍♂️ cars eh?
Thanks again

·
Registered
2015 4x4 2,2 SD4 Prestige Business Aut
43 Posts
Nice write up👍. I did the Gen 4 on the Wife’s car (70k miles). Found exactly the same in the pump screen.
Just for others information it was possible to get the Gen 4 pump out without taking off the prop shaft. If you slightly loosen the pump cover screws (don’t remove) and it gives you enough “play” to remove the pump.

I have used Haldex Repairs for bits and had excellent service.
This was great info, thank you! I Will try that. :)

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
465 Posts
Thanks again to wiltsandy.

I changed my Haldex oil today. If you are able to change the engine oil and filter, then you are easily capable of servicing the Haldex. It took about an hour in total and is quite easy. About 280ml of oil came out and 300ml went back in.
After cleaning the fixed filter, I disassembled the pump a bit more to clean it better (by undoing the third torx screw next to the filter). If you are going to do this, take care when pulling it apart as there are lots of small parts that can pop out. If you're not sure of how they refit, they can be seen in this video at about 1:20.
I used: MANNOL AWD Synthetic Haldex Fluid Oil - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304066050132

Here's my gunky filter:

While I was under there I saw that the rear diff oil plugs are very easy to get to, so I changed the diff oil. This is easier still. Make sure you undo the fill plug on the side first then drain the oil through the drain hole at the bottom. Refill until the oil just drips out of the fill hole (with car level). It took about 550ml.
I used: HyperDrive Synthetic KXR 75W90 GL5 Transmission Oil - Opie oils https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164223659681

·
Registered
191 Posts
Thanks again to wiltsandy.

I changed my Haldex oil today. If you are able to change the engine oil and filter, then you are easily capable of servicing the Haldex. It took about an hour in total and is quite easy. About 280ml of oil came out and 300ml went back in.
After cleaning the fixed filter, I disassembled the pump a bit more to clean it better (by undoing the third torx screw next to the filter). If you are going to do this, take care when pulling it apart as there are lots of small parts that can pop out. If you're not sure of how they refit, they can be seen in this video at about 1:20.
I used: MANNOL AWD Synthetic Haldex Fluid Oil - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/304066050132

Here's my gunky filter:
View attachment 9874

While I was under there I saw that the rear diff oil plugs are very easy to get to, so I changed the diff oil. This is easier still. Make sure you undo the fill plug on the side first then drain the oil from the drain plug at the bottom. Refill until the oil just drips out of the fill hole (with car level). It took about 550ml.
I used: HyperDrive Synthetic KXR 75W90 GL5 Transmission Oil - Opie oils https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/164223659681
Nice one 👍 How many miles on your car?
Think my pump has gone (due in garage and hopefully covered under my aftermarket warranty).
I was going to change the Haldex oil in the next few weeks too 🙄

·
Registered
191 Posts
Weird one this, since Saturday the 2-wheel drive only message has gone??
Not sure why, but I'm guessing this will only be a temporary reprieve?
Its booked in the dealers in couple of weeks, just don't want them saying there is nothing wrong and having to pay for the privilege of their expertise??

·
Registered
25 Posts
As a bit of preventative maintenance I decided to change the oil in the Haldex unit yesterday and I'm glad I did.

It's a Gen 5 unit so has no seperate cartridge filter and the gauze on the pump was choked with gunk. The car has done just under 45000 miles of mostly long distance runs back and forth to Spain by the previous owner.

As its a Gen 5 unit the service is really easy and took about 25-30 minutes to do. A brief description of the procedure I used, should anyone wish to try it themselves is as follows:

6. Remove the gauze from the end of the pump (2x T10 screws) and clean the gauze. I used brake cleaner and paper towels.
7. Refit the gauze to the pump and clean the pump around the o ring seals. I didn't change the seals although I did purchase 2 new ones so have them as spares.
8. Once the oil has drained, clean the housing as there may be a few bits of gunk left behind.
9. Refitting everything is the reverse of removal but don't forget to oil the o rings with fresh oil before replacing the pump.
10. Remove the filler plug on the side of the black unit with a coin (a 2p piece fits perfectly).
12. Start the car to run the pump, switch off and re-check the oil level. It will probably take a bit more as the pump circulates the oil.
13. Check for leaks, if there's none you're done. Go have a cuppa for a job well done.😄.
I drained 300ml out but it took 420 to refil. My drive is not level so I had put the rear of the car on a pair of ramps to compensate and used a spirit level under the sills to get it level. However, having put 120ml more oil in I was a bit concerned so took the car to a known level surface and removed the filler plug and about 20ml came out.

Unlike the earlier generations of Haldex, the Gen 5 does not need the 70ml of oil removed so I can't say why I ended up with 100ml more in it than I drained out. I'm happy that it's ok though.

I bought 850ml of oil so have enough left to do another change and after seeing the state of the gauze I may do it again in a couple of thousand miles to clean it through again as the cost of the oil is a lot less than a new pump.

The pictures aren't in any particular order but hopefully they're self explanatory.

Oh, and one final thing - I didn't do the pump learn process that gets mentioned on the VW forums as I have no idea what it is nor do I have the test equipment they talk about to be able to do it.
Informative and helpful. Many thanks for the post.

·
Registered
2 Posts

Thank you wiltsandy! I plan to service the Gen5 rear diff on my 2015 Evoque Pure tomorrow following the steps you have provided. It is at 63,5XX miles and I don't believe the rear diff has ever been serviced. So I am anxious to see what the oil and the pump look like. I have purchased Volvo oil part # 31367941 for this effort as well as a syringe and tubing. Both Volvo rear diff oil # 31367941 and Land Rover rear diff oil # LR054941 share the same BorgWarner oil part # DS2000884 for all Haldex generations except Gen I. Therefore, Volvo rear diff oil # 31367941 will work for Haldex Gen II-V rear diff whether it be on a Land Rover, Volvo, or Audi. Follow this link for the BorgWarner AWD Coupling spare parts catalog: https://cdn.borgwarner.com/docs/def...arts-for-awd-couplings.pdf?sfvrsn=1b3cb63c_26

21 - 31 of 31 Posts