Evoque Owners Club banner
1 - 20 of 31 Posts

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a bit of preventative maintenance I decided to change the oil in the Haldex unit yesterday and I'm glad I did.

It's a Gen 5 unit so has no seperate cartridge filter and the gauze on the pump was choked with gunk. The car has done just under 45000 miles of mostly long distance runs back and forth to Spain by the previous owner.

As its a Gen 5 unit the service is really easy and took about 25-30 minutes to do. A brief description of the procedure I used, should anyone wish to try it themselves is as follows:

1. Make sure the car is level (more on this later).
2. Remove the skid plate from under the pump (3x 8mm bolts).
3. Unplug the pump electrical connector (rearmost plug of the two).
4. Remove the two 10mm/T30 bolts securing the pump to the unit.
5. With a suitable recptacle under it, pull out the pump and let the oil drain.
6. Remove the gauze from the end of the pump (2x T10 screws) and clean the gauze. I used brake cleaner and paper towels.
7. Refit the gauze to the pump and clean the pump around the o ring seals. I didn't change the seals although I did purchase 2 new ones so have them as spares.
8. Once the oil has drained, clean the housing as there may be a few bits of gunk left behind.
9. Refitting everything is the reverse of removal but don't forget to oil the o rings with fresh oil before replacing the pump.
10. Remove the filler plug on the side of the black unit with a coin (a 2p piece fits perfectly).
11. Top up with oil until it runs out of the fill hole and replace filler plug.
12. Start the car to run the pump, switch off and re-check the oil level. It will probably take a bit more as the pump circulates the oil.
13. Check for leaks, if there's none you're done. Go have a cuppa for a job well done.:smile:.
I drained 300ml out but it took 420 to refil. My drive is not level so I had put the rear of the car on a pair of ramps to compensate and used a spirit level under the sills to get it level. However, having put 120ml more oil in I was a bit concerned so took the car to a known level surface and removed the filler plug and about 20ml came out.

Unlike the earlier generations of Haldex, the Gen 5 does not need the 70ml of oil removed so I can't say why I ended up with 100ml more in it than I drained out. I'm happy that it's ok though.

I bought 850ml of oil so have enough left to do another change and after seeing the state of the gauze I may do it again in a couple of thousand miles to clean it through again as the cost of the oil is a lot less than a new pump.

The pictures aren't in any particular order but hopefully they're self explanatory.

Hope this helps if others decide to have a go at changing their oil.

Oh, and one final thing - I didn't do the pump learn process that gets mentioned on the VW forums as I have no idea what it is nor do I have the test equipment they talk about to be able to do it.

Attachments

·
Registered
MY15 2.2L
3,396 Posts
Thanks for that - Great write-up and photos!

IMO - The more stuff like this on the forum the better. For us 'non-company car' Evoque owners :)

·
Registered
12,605 Posts
Very informative Wiltsandy, very useful.perfect;y presented and executed.

Yes indeed, more fuffle valve stuff, why not? would make a change from the mindless banter on here, whatever next heh? tsk, tsk,tsk.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks for that - Great write-up and photos!

IMO - The more stuff like this on the forum the better. For us 'non-company car' Evoque owners /forum/images/smilies/smile.gif
That's what I thought - I'm an engineer and like to do things myself where I can, not only to save money but also to learn and know exactly what has been done.

I also thought that as the MY16 vehicles are now coming out of warranty (as mine is at the end of Sept) some owners may like to do a bit of their own maintenance.

I couldn't find any info on the Evoque Gen 5 Haldex online so thought I'd just dive in and give it a go.

Reactions: CoolBlueWhyte

·
Registered
12,605 Posts
More like this the better, most people do not have the skills (me included ) to do this kind of work and are reliant on the Dealers, such as myself- both for my company car (Evoque) and my Wifes Golf R.

Please do keep up the good work.

·
Registered
106 Posts
Great to see technical posts like this.

I completely rebuilt my TR250 myself - welding and spraying as well as mechanical work.

Haven’t touched the Evoque as frightened something will need resetting on the dealers computer.

Will have to give things a go now

Nigel

·
Super Moderator
MY14 Jaguar F Type 3.0S Convertible
14,292 Posts
Great post. Hopefully it will help others willing to have a go.

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
465 Posts
Great write up wiltsandy.
What was the part number for the oil please ?

I did an oil & filter change on an earlier Haldex (version 3 I think) on a Ford Kuga. It was fairly straight forward, but this looks even easier.
Ford said that the unit was sealed for life ! So I got the oil from a Volvo dealer (part number 31367940)

·
Administrator
3,122 Posts
Nice work, thanks for posting!

I take it from your write up the Gen 5 does not have a separate filter on the top of the Haldex?

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Great write up wiltsandy.
What was the part number for the oil please ?

I did an oil & filter change on an earlier Haldex (version 3 I think) on a Ford Kuga. It was fairly straight forward, but this looks even easier.
Ford said that the unit was sealed for life ! So I got the oil from a Volvo dealer (part number 31367940)
I used this oil as I couldn't find any that was specifically listed for the Gen 5.

https://www.haldexrepairs.co.uk/shop/fluids/borgwarner-high-performance-oil-for-haldex/

I also purchased a high capacity syringe and tube from the same website and also a pair of pump o rings as they were only 3 quid for the pair.

As I said in my first post, it looks like this bottle of oil will do two changes as the unit only took 400ml to refil so although its 30-odd quid for the bottle its actually quite cost effective.

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Nice work, thanks for posting!

I take it from your write up the Gen 5 does not have a separate filter on the top of the Haldex?
There isn't a seperate filter on the Gen 5 as the unit works differently to the earlier generations.

It makes servicing it easier but obviously increases the likelyhood of failure as all the gunk collects on the end of the pump, causing it to strain to pressurise the system.

LR really should include a flush and oil change as part of the service schedule as t would be minimal cost to them and would prevent lots of failures down the line.

·
Registered
MY2016 Evoque Autobiography 2.0L DIESEL 5 DOOR / L538
465 Posts
Thanks for the oil info.
Looking at that website, the Volvo oil is suitable for all Haldex generations, so I can use what's left in my bottle ?

·
Registered
2015 Dynamic Lux 2.2Sd4
4,316 Posts
Thanks Wiltsandy for this great post. Perhaps this info should be passed on to JLR for their records so they can UPDATE the info they send to dealerships/workshops.

·
Registered
42 Posts
Thanks for the information. Mine is a 2015 GTDi (petrol) and I am fairly certain mine is not a Gen 4. However it looks a bit different than yours and I also do not have a skid plate. The pump removal and location looks almost identical to yours. I know on the older Evoques with the Gen 4, it was difficult to get the pump out because the flange was in the way. But mine is like yours and the flange isn't blocking the removal of the pump. However I do not have the plastic fill plug that is removed with a coin (or at least I didn't see it). I have seen that on Volvos and on your 2016.

I couldn't find the Borg Warner fluid, so I purchased this:

https://www.blauparts.com/haldex-fluid-ravenol-awd-h-1l.html

It specifically mentions LR054941 which is listed as the fluid for 2012 and later. So I hope it will work.

·
Registered
4 Posts
As a bit of preventative maintenance I decided to change the oil in the Haldex unit yesterday and I'm glad I did.

It's a Gen 5 unit so has no seperate cartridge filter and the gauze on the pump was choked with gunk. The car has done just under 45000 miles of mostly long distance runs back and forth to Spain by the previous owner.

As its a Gen 5 unit the service is really easy and took about 25-30 minutes to do. A brief description of the procedure I used, should anyone wish to try it themselves is as follows:

6. Remove the gauze from the end of the pump (2x T10 screws) and clean the gauze. I used brake cleaner and paper towels.
7. Refit the gauze to the pump and clean the pump around the o ring seals. I didn't change the seals although I did purchase 2 new ones so have them as spares.
8. Once the oil has drained, clean the housing as there may be a few bits of gunk left behind.
9. Refitting everything is the reverse of removal but don't forget to oil the o rings with fresh oil before replacing the pump.
10. Remove the filler plug on the side of the black unit with a coin (a 2p piece fits perfectly).
12. Start the car to run the pump, switch off and re-check the oil level. It will probably take a bit more as the pump circulates the oil.
13. Check for leaks, if there's none you're done. Go have a cuppa for a job well done.😄.
I drained 300ml out but it took 420 to refil. My drive is not level so I had put the rear of the car on a pair of ramps to compensate and used a spirit level under the sills to get it level. However, having put 120ml more oil in I was a bit concerned so took the car to a known level surface and removed the filler plug and about 20ml came out.

Unlike the earlier generations of Haldex, the Gen 5 does not need the 70ml of oil removed so I can't say why I ended up with 100ml more in it than I drained out. I'm happy that it's ok though.

I bought 850ml of oil so have enough left to do another change and after seeing the state of the gauze I may do it again in a couple of thousand miles to clean it through again as the cost of the oil is a lot less than a new pump.

The pictures aren't in any particular order but hopefully they're self explanatory.

Oh, and one final thing - I didn't do the pump learn process that gets mentioned on the VW forums as I have no idea what it is nor do I have the test equipment they talk about to be able to do it.

13. Check for leaks, if there's none you're done. Go have a cuppa for a job well done.😄.

Hi,

I have a 2014 Range Rover Evoque SD4 do you know which Haldex version on it? Whether its version 4 or 5.

Also which fluid did you use to service your Haldex? Axle or transmission fluid?

Regards,
Leroy

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #17 ·
Hi,

I have a 2014 Range Rover Evoque SD4 do you know which Haldex version on it? Whether its version 4 or 5.

Also which fluid did you use to service your Haldex? Axle or transmission fluid?

Regards,
Leroy
I think that the 2014 model has a Gen 4 Haldex.

It's quite easy to tell - have a look at the unit and if there's a seperate filter housing, it's a Gen 4.

The oil is different (I think) for each generation so you'll have to look for that once you've determined which unit you have. It is not transmission fluid though.

If you have a Gen 4 unit, good luck cleaning/changing the filter as I believe the propshaft has to be dropped to get the housing past the flange.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Fantastic write up, thank you. We had an Octavia Scout with the Gen 4 Haldex. A similar post on the SKODA forums prompted me to have the filter, that SKODA denied existed, changed with the fluid. Very happy I did as it was nearly blocked.
Now there is only a gauze to protect our Gen 5 pumps, preventative maintenance is even more importan.
Could you please let me know where you got the pump o ring seals from?
Cheers, Mark

·
Registered
98 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
1 - 20 of 31 Posts