Evoque Owners Club banner

21 - 32 of 32 Posts

·
Registered
750 Posts
If you burn a cd from iTunes, there is an option to include CD text, this provides the track names etc.

Just tried burning a 2013 album to CD having deselected the CD text option in iTunes. The Evoque as expected was not able to find any track data.Edited by: scol2000

·
Registered
342 Posts
What you are burning, if text option is avial, is probably not CD format. MP3, Lossless, etc. Gracenote only sees CD. However, if you burn a non-CD format disk again, MP3 for example, WITH text, your player will see it. It doesn't need Gracenote. Obviously.

Also, that is NOT the same as the CD text method Sony failed to standardize years ago. This article (link below), done in 2012, points out that cars are now using internet connection for Gracenote. Also talks about the Sony Cd Text issue. Your car is a 2012? Maybe that's the issue. According to my dealer all their late model cars (with Nav or whatever is required) use internet for Gracenote, Older models rely on updates. They don't need them for late model (not sure if 2012-2013?).

http://www.mnn.com/green-tech/transportation/blogs/why-your-car-cant-read-your-cd-tracks

·
Registered
750 Posts
I burned a music CD not an MP3.

Not sure how you think the Evoque is accessing the Internet but if you do not believe the information that I have obtained from the manufacturer and from experimentation then I look forward to reading the results of your own experiments that disprove everyone else. As I previously said, I would prefer you to be right but nothing points to that!

·
Registered
342 Posts
scol2000 said:
I burned a music CD not an MP3.

Not sure how you think the Evoque is accessing the Internet but if you do not believe the information that I have obtained from the manufacturer and from experimentation then I look forward to reading the results of your own experiments that disprove everyone else. As I previously said, I would prefer you to be right but nothing points to that!
Good news -- I am right. Did you even read the article I linked you to? Where is SAYS cars are using internet to access Gacenote? Obviously not. ALso, if you put a popular (commercially known) CD in a player, Gracenote DOES NOT USE TEXT to give you a title. It reads the number of tracks, track play times etc. Compares with its database and gives you a result. That's why occasionally it will give you two or more more possible choices. Having text is meaningless because Gracenote doesn't even use them. Your player does -- on non-CD tracks. And yes, your LR dude can be wrong. We've never heard of that before, haven't we? Go back and read the article.

·
Registered
750 Posts
Bravo!

So I will ask you one more time, how is the car accessing the Internet then? Your link says that only 5% of cars are wired to receive over the air updates and I would be very surprised to find that the Evoque is one of them as it has no other on-line functions and if receiving CD track names were the sole reason for implementing it, seems like a very expensive and over engineered solution. The LR explanation on the other hand of storing the information on board seems to be much more plausible.

So you are not right, you just think that you are ... let's see some evidence that we can both agree upon and then we can put this one to rest.

oh and have a quick read of this, it confirms that you can add CD Text when creating an Audio CD:

http://support.apple.com/kb/PH12148

And this confirms no internet connectivity ...

http://www.techradar.com/news/car-tech/range-rover-evoque-high-tech-infotainment-system-on-test-1096474

Edited by: scol2000

·
Premium Member
10,626 Posts
I am intrigued by this as well as I posted similar questions back last May.

Aside from any mp3 i-tunes or amazon downloaded music I have, I think the best test would be to put a CD in that was released after the car was purchased.

If the Evoque has an on board time locked database it will not recognise the CD, however, if there is some data on the CD which identifies the Album that may confuse the issue.

I have never had my mobile phone connected when a new disk has been played, but again it may be useful to try this test without a mobile connected (no potential internet link) and if no data shown try the same with the mobile connected (potential internet connectivity).

I am now going to seek out a new CD to test this. I may be some time.

·
Registered
621 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I think the database is updated when the car has its sat nav updated. My car is September 2011 buid, it has had one service in Sept 2012. A CD released in the first part of 2012 is recognized, one released in late 2012 or 2013 is not.

Think I'll ask the dealer to run an update....

·
Registered
2 Posts
Hi guys,
I know this thread is very old but I need to ask a question.

I have a 2013 Prestige Lux. just had an error message on the display reading
"A problem has occurred with the Gracenotes software download. Please check disc and restart download to continue"

I have never put a CD disc in the car, only had it a 2 months and it was ok when we bought it. we have connected phones to the Bluetooth with downloaded music on them though.

Is it possible to update the system without going to LR or will it have to go to the Dealer for upgrades?

any advice would be great.
cheers.

·
Premium Member
10,626 Posts
Before going to a dealer, could you not try to do an internet search with Gracenote. A lot of us did in the early days.

Most of us seem to ignore Gracenote as it was so random.

Failing that disconnect the battery and reconnect it.

Not the best answer I know.

·
Registered
2 Posts
thanks for that.
However, when you say you just ignore Gracenote because it is random, do you have an error like that on your screen all the time then?

I will continue searching the internet though...

·
Premium Member
10,626 Posts
I don't use CD's in the car, I use my iPod or a USB with my iTunes music folders on it, so Artist and Song info already there.

We did an experiment some time back where we put two different CD's in, one released before the car was built and one a few months after the car was built, it only identified the older CD.

Have no idea now however, how the car interacts with the Gracenote Database.

·
Registered
1 Posts
Hi guys,
I know this thread is very old but I need to ask a question.

I have a 2013 Prestige Lux. just had an error message on the display reading
"A problem has occurred with the Gracenotes software download. Please check disc and restart download to continue"

I have never put a CD disc in the car, only had it a 2 months and it was ok when we bought it. we have connected phones to the Bluetooth with downloaded music on them though.

Is it possible to update the system without going to LR or will it have to go to the Dealer for upgrades?

any advice would be great.
cheers.
Hi,
I have a RRV SDV8 2013 and have the exact same message pop up on my Navigation system....just wondering if you managed to find a solution as I can't seem to find much about it on the internet? Sat nav and voice control both stopped working at the same time.

21 - 32 of 32 Posts