Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Geeky question, every time i put in a CD into the car I get a message saying its accessing the media database. Gracenote is a system some PC's use to get the cd's info like track names. It never seems to work for me. so...

a: does it work for you guys? The cd's that have track names for me in my car are ones that have it programmed onto the cd already

b: How is is 'accessing' this database? does it have one on its system or trying to use my phones data for it.

Sorry, told you it would be geeky.

rob.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Hi - probably not a useful reply, but I can't see how gracenote can be accessed unless you have an internet connection, and to my knowledge the Evoque does not have an internet connection

·
Registered
43 Posts
Rob
Geeky answer....
Gracenote was called CDDB Compact Disc DataBase and is a company who provides data regarding contents of audio cd's and records.

The data is stored within the media unit of the car and does not communicate with anything else.

Car manufacturers will receive database updates from time to time and "normally" apply these updates to vehicles at servicing.

You can submit album data to Gracenote to be included in future releases by using iTunes, Winamp or QMP see their FAQ's http://www.gracenote.com/about/faqs

Hope that helps.
Mark

·
Registered
19 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks Mark - thats answered the question then. For it to know enough CD data to make it useful, there has to be an awful lot of storage devoted to this... unless they just load on the top 100 cd's of the last few years perhaps.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts