Evoque Owners Club banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Hi everybody !!!!
I'm very pleased to be here, what a privilege to be an Evoque owner, well not yet for me but I hope in spring....

I ordered a 5doors TD4 Privilege White Fuji in january, delivery date around may.

My question is dedicated to those who have a GPS, is it worth the value ? Does it works conveniently ?
And the 4X4 infocentre, to what does it serve exactly ???

Thanks for your comments !

·
Registered
226 Posts
If you want GPS ANYTIME in the future, you better get it IF you have the heated (electronic) windshield which blocks other stand alone units such as Garmin from working. I did a test in my Evoque (I have the factory GPS) with my Garmin which I would have preferred to use. The ONLY way it works if if I hold it out the BLOODY window while driving.

If I have strong signals out the window, as soon as I put it on the dash, ALL the stations drop immediately to zero. I find it very hard to believe that ANY manufacturer could make such a product and NOT post it in big letters on the MSRP slip like...

ATTENTION: PORTABLE GPS units do not FUNCTION with heated windshield.

If we had piece meal pricing like you do, I may have passed on the GPS since I really do like my Garmin. However, here in the states we get only "packages" and the Premium package included GPS (lucky for me).

So far I haven't noticed any difference in defrosting the windshield with the electronic heating verses the old fashion hot air blowing. I should add that I keep my Evoque garage so usually I don't have a fogging problem.

Edited by: Starflyer

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
I have ordered my car with the cold winter pack too, which means the heated windshield is included.
So, if I follow your remarks, I should order the factory GPS (or try to modify my order before manufacturing) because my tom tom won't work, even if the heated windshield is off...

Thank you so much for your useful comments !

·
Registered
56 Posts
I have the cold climate pack and a Navigon gps. The gps works perfectly. It worked also good in my previous car (Ford Mondeo) with heated windshield. To me the factory gps is its expensive price not worth.
My Evoque stays outside in wintertime and the heated windshield works far better than only hot air blowing to it.

Juan, even gemakkelijker in het Nederlands: mijn ervaring met de electrisch verwarmde voorruit bij de Evoque en mojn vorige auto is dus alleen maar positief! In testen komt de fabrieks navigatie er niet best uit en het is veel geld. Ik heb de navigatiezuignap naast de luchtroosters op de aluminium strip geplaatst. Een mooie plek voor de navigatie en dus geen problemen met het signaal.Edited by: ZW4

·
Registered
4 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Thank you also ZW4 !!! Dank u veel, ik begrijp maar Nederlands een beetje
So, I still have time for taking the best decision.
I find also it very expensive, 2290 euros is a huge amount for a GPS device...
And what about SWYS system (say what you see) ??? And the infocentre 4X4, does it complement efficiently the GPS ????

·
Registered
226 Posts
ZW4 said:
I have the cold climate pack and a Navigon gps. The gps works perfectly. It worked also good in my previous car (Ford Mondeo) with heated windshield. To me the factory gps is its expensive price not worth.
I totally agree that the factory gps is expensive and I would prefer to use my Garmin. If you search the Evoque forums you will see other posting that say the same thing I said about the Garmin and the heated windshield.

From your posting, it would definitely appear that the Navigon doesn't have the same problem.

But once again, my Garmin does not work in my Evoque regardless of whether the windshield heat is on or off. Also, my EzPass has the same problem with the heated windshield. I'm going to have to get a license plate EzPass because of this problem.

Regardless of whether or not a particular GPS works or doesn't work in the Evoque, I would recommend taking one along on your test drive just to make sure. My Garmin locks on almost instantly in my other vehicles and is a "brick" in my Evoque.

Edited by: Starflyer

·
Registered
99 Posts
I have the heated windscreen in my current RRS and do not have a problem with TomTom on my smartphone.
Expect the RRE will be the same.

·
Registered
226 Posts
I don't have any trouble with my iPhone either. Never tried to use a GPS app in it though. You must have either one big monthly phone bill or a great data plan. If I used my ATT data plan in the US to stream GPS (read map redraws for the heavy data usage), at $10 a MB, I would be in the poor house shortly.

·
Registered
99 Posts
Hi Starflyer
The maps are all on the memory card with TomTom so the only data is the current traffic information - so very small amounts.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts